Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times

Advertisements

My gf has been working at a restaurant making good tip money. The hours are usual, nights and weekends included. No benefits yet. The restaurant is 10 mins from our house.

She has a BA degree, but right now the job situation is tough where we are, and until we decide our next move, we are going to stay here.

She's got an offer to work at as an admin asst at a college, however, the pay is only $22K a year, salary. This job would be a 15 mile commute for her each way.

I don't know what to advise her to do. The pros of the college job is regular hours, salary and benefits, and not coming home smelling like french fries The cons are the extra money spent on gas commuting and the low salary (she could actually make a couple of hundred dollars a month more at the restaurant).

I suggested she keep the restaurant for nights and weekends for now, but I've done this before and it's a nightmare and you can't do it for long - nor would I really want her to.

She will continue to look for something better and in her field.

On the one hand an office job is better, on the other hand at the restaurant you can pick up shifts and earn more money. We're not cash strapped, we're using her income to pay down our debt, but extra cash is always good Either choice is not the ideal situation for her, so that's why this decision is a bit difficult.

Any advice? Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
does the admin assistant job require a degree? i probably wouldn't take it otherwise.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM

The admin job requires an Associates, the prefer a Bachelors. I just pulled up the description. And this is what they wanna pay!! I thought it didn't require a degree...

I'm thinking maybe she can leverage her BA degree and ask for $25K, not much but an extra $200 a month.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
No admin job doesn't require a degree, but neither does the restaurant job

I'm thinking maybe she can leverage her degree and ask for $25K, not much but an extra $200 a month.
well yea i figured that haha. personally i wouldnt take a pay cut for something that wont really advance her career and a i dont think an admin asst job that only requres a hs diploma would. her main concern right now with working at a restaurant should be the gap between her graduation date and any meaningful employment and the other job just doesn't help imo. she should keep looking.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
I'd take the admin job in a heart beat. At very least, that's something I could put on my resume. After maybe a year, it'd be easier to find a much better job.

If she needs extra money, she can still work in the restaurant during the weekend etc.

If you send me the job description for the admin job, I can certainly tell you more.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I'd take the admin job to be able to add it to her resume but keep the resaturant job for the weekends for extra money.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
The admin job requires an Associates, the prefer a Bachelors. I just pulled up the description. And this is what they wanna pay!! I thought it didn't require a degree...

I'm thinking maybe she can leverage her BA degree and ask for $25K, not much but an extra $200 a month.
i saw your edit and i guess thats a little different. she might be able to move up or embellish it on her resume a bit. after a solid 6 months or so there she should definitely seek more challenging employment

Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Yeah, sorry brocco, when you asked I pulled the job description up and that's what it said. So they expect BA grads to work for $22K, that's Florida I guess, now I see what they mean.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 AM

I figure she can move up eventually, or get another job. I guess getting out of service retail is a good thing

Description:
Administrative Assistant who is primarily responsible for the reception area and the admissions/registration desk for the campus. This includes greeting students, accepting and assisting students with admissions, registration, routing correspondence to home campus or locally; assist in coordinating the commencement ceremony; assist submitting responses for Past Due; Final Notice and Collection Lists; schedule appointments for academic advising and other paperwork, as well as providing students and prospects with primary information about the college.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
OK, this is not bad at all. After sometime on the job, she can go for an Executive Assistant job which will likely start at $35-45K with benefit.

If she has the offer, take it. :-)

A waitress in a restaurant is a dead end job. Never let money blind sight you and get stuck in a dead end job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment