Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,117,506 times

Advertisements

I hope this question is not offensive to anyone.
I just recently realized alot of people have started working from home and I would like to know how you accomplished this feat.

If I ever wanted to work again (and I really don't but may have to), I would like to work from home.
Would you share with us your type of job ?? Thanks ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 AM

6,902 posts, read 22,601,656 times
I'm a freelancer on https://www.elance.com/

Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,624,095 times
I'm an insurance adjustor who decided to transfer and report to an office most days a week.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:37 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,983,525 times
I work for an international company with a headquarters across the country from me. They have customers all over and require locally based people but not enough to really need an office. There are 8 of us in the area.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 PM

554 posts, read 980,389 times
I am an IT consultant. I work mostly out of my house with occasional visits to client sites.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,991,666 times
My son works in IT for a major bank. They require him to live near the office for when the bosses come to town to meet with employees. He has a company Blackberry and secure laptop.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,727,925 times
Until I started working in an office environment again last year, I worked from home for about 5 years for two different pharma CROs. One had an office in NYC, the other had a few across the country and several overseas. But they needed people all over the country (many of whom also travelled at least 50%) and it kept their overhead down to allow people to work remotely instead of putting in dozens of small offices around the country.

Remote employees are very common in the pharma industry, especially at CROs, but many who do work from a home office are experienced, skilled employees in their fields. A lot of these companies will not hire someone brand new to the industry to "work from home".

My wife still works out of our home office. She is a consultant for a large company headquartered about 200 miles away. She also travels a good bit and, again, it is cheaper for the company to let her and many of her co-workers work from a home office when not on the road compared to either installing offices all around the country, or requiring them all to relocate to the company's HQ, where they would be paying for a lot of office space that would be largely unused due to all of the travel these people do.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,177,985 times
Although I retired from my full-time position with a state agency after 32 years, they convinced me to come back as a part-time consultant (16-24 hours a week) working mostly from home, although I do go into the office a few days a month to meet with the director and/or to conduct training sessions. I mainly perform legal research, draft and edit regulations, and provide advice to co-workers and the general public via email. It works out for now - gives me a little extra money to supplement my pension.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:17 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,686,960 times
Basically, you just have to pick a job that can be done remotely. For instance, you wouldn't want my job since I am hands on computer repair so it is not efficient for me to work from home. My company doesn't want me in a Geek Squad type van supporting the end users, so they have to come to me.

Most any job that involves a lot of paperwork, web design, creating presentations, conference calls, etc. can be done from home these days.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:45 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,232,759 times
I am a blogger. I write about finance, lifestyle and business related topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment