Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,071 times

Advertisements

Hi, I work for a big company in the UK as a storeman. They implemented a policy, that if an employee didnt work 'hard enough' in their eyes, they wouldnt receive a pay rise that year. I myself have not received one in 6 years, infact a few months ago, they reduced our working week by 2 hours, so basically I got a pay cut. This policy they introduced, was in our branch atleast, not discussed with the employees, every year, there was no meetings to discuss the fact you wouldnt get a pay rise, all we knew is we didnt get a rise. I know that some people in the UK have been getting pay rises, so a storeman in another branch can be earning 2k a year more than me. There is a standard set wage for a storemen across the company, and Im not getting it despite doing the job. And before anyone says 'your not working hard enough', you'd be so wrong, even at a meeting with my boss, he admitted I did everything in my job description. Is this policy legal? If Im doing the job of storeman, shouldnt I be getting paid the proper amount? At present Im doing a job, which pays 2k more than I earn, do I have some right to refuse to do it because Im not getting the wage to do it? The failure to give me my rises has left me in a lot of debt, and Im worried sick over it. Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,349,124 times
I see the words "we" and "reduced our working week by 2 hours"...

Which leads me to think it is not YOU!

Many companies have been having hard times financially. Sounds to me like that is what is happening.

If that is the case, then I suppose your only option would be to find work for more pay elsewhere. If that is an option?

Sometimes companies are making plenty of money and are just being cheap. They pay new hires more than existing employees. I knew one case where an employee quit, then reapplied to the same company for the same job and was paid more! Silly, but that was the way the company worked. (Large company with silly rules...)

But that was back when the economy was doing very well and there was a shortage of employees for that industry. I wouldn't try that these days.

Also what has been happening in the U.S. is people are having to reduce their standard of living. They are lucky to have a job at all. Search google.com for the words "frugal living" and you will find tips for reducing expenses.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,071 times
Thanks for replying Billy. There are close to 100 branches of our company in the UK, and this policy is implemented in them all as far as I know. My main gripe is, that someone of the same grade is earning more than I do because his manager justified his yearly pay rise, and mine didnt. Doing what I do has a standard pay scale, as you mentioned, if a new start was to do it, he would be on a higher wage than me. How can I be expected to do a job, that Im not getting the full pay rate, if the company says the job is entitled to xxk a year, and I'm not being paid that, then should I be doing it? Wouldnt I have some kind of legal comeback on it? Another example is, the counter guy who started with me hasnt been given a rise for 6 years either, a new counter guy started last year who works beside him, but his wage is 2.5k a year more, simply because the original guy hasnt been deemed worthy enough to get his yearly rises. I hate the job and company I work for, but I still have a mortgage to pay so cant do anything till I manage to get another job, I just find this position I'm in intolerable.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 AM

878 posts, read 1,659,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post

Sometimes companies are making plenty of money and are just being cheap. They pay new hires more than existing employees.
That's how they do it at my job... there is no pay scale. People generally get what they can bargain. It's not fair to existing employees, but it is what it is.

As far as a raise, I was hired last May and haven't gotten one yet... and won't till next January due to their "raises on January 1st" policy. I don't really care though... I have been getting a consistent 20 to 44 (yes 44) hours of overtime every week since August.

They can keep the extra $1 or $2 an hour raise and just keep giving me the OT.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:14 AM

258 posts, read 161,071 times
As your in the UK i'd advise contacting the two oganisations i've linked below. Both are free so no fee is chaged for the advice given. They also have regional offices so you could go and see them after the initial contact for a one-on-one discussion.

Citizens Advice *- the charity for your community

Advice A-Z - Acas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment