Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,431,199 times

Advertisements

Great, informative post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,029,043 times
The fact they are a law firm IMO makes it an absolute necessity to find a new job, at a different company. No doubt, they have explored a defense for whatever actions they wish to take already, and they can either do it "in house" or at severely discounted rates if they need labor lawyers, which puts you at a huge disadvantage.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:25 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,245,020 times
I may have missed something, but I think you said that you had fully recovered. To most, that would mean that you had no disability. Are you restricted in what you can do in any way? If not, I don't think you could claim any sort of "disability"

What you are going through is something that happens to anyone that might have the same thing happen again. A heart attack, fainting spells, bronchial spasms, things like that. Not neccessarily life threating, but frightning to a lot of people. Therefore, they will watch that person carefully in hopes that they may be able to "see" something before it happens.

They will worry too, about putting too much stress on people like you. They worry about that "last straw" that might trigger another stroke or heart attack. A good heart to heart talk with your supervisor/manager might help. It's only natural that they would worry about you. You need to reassure them about the chance of it happening again.

But the question remains.....do you really want to keep working there? I think that it's doubtful that the situation will return to what you had before.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 PM

244 posts, read 253,770 times
UPDATE: Everything worked out. I decided to speak informally to someone high up in the company who knows me and knows my work. After that things began to change, all for the better. I now feel treated like everyone else. I got a good review and a raise also. My health is also doing well.

I would like to THANK YOU ALL for your supportive participation in this thread. I was reminded of this thread by someone else who actually dug it up to use against me ("proof" that I am mentally disabled and should be disregarded because I had a stroke) in another thread I started to discuss a problem. I am amazed at some of the posters who, instead of discussing the issue itself, decided to vomit forth putdowns and nastiness. Again, thank you all for NOT being like that!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,029,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyChantal View Post
UPDATE: Everything worked out. I decided to speak informally to someone high up in the company who knows me and knows my work. After that things began to change, all for the better. I now feel treated like everyone else. I got a good review and a raise also. My health is also doing well.

I would like to THANK YOU ALL for your supportive participation in this thread. I was reminded of this thread by someone else who actually dug it up to use against me ("proof" that I am mentally disabled and should be disregarded because I had a stroke) in another thread I started to discuss a problem. I am amazed at some of the posters who, instead of discussing the issue itself, decided to vomit forth putdowns and nastiness. Again, thank you all for NOT being like that!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,669,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
You state... that if you lose your job, "I am going to sue them." Usually, people in that frame of mind manage to show their thoughts through facial expressions, body language, actual remarks.

And the business can't wait to get rid of them as soon as possible. If the business has to cut back, they will be the first to go.

Try to get people to believe that you LOVE working there, it's wonderful, wouldn't change it for anything, blah, blah, blah. Make them feel that it's great to have someone like you working there. If you can't do that, then leave.
this is excellent advice. I am an old HR manager. Don't show your cards beforehand.

Also, is it possible to sit down with this person and ask them straight out if there is a problem with your performance ? Tell them you are feeling apprehensive and is there anything you need to change or could you take on more work, etc, etc, etc ? You can say that you feel it is counterproductive to have this feeling hanging over you and you would like to get to the bottom of it. I would be sincere in asking the question and how I responded. If you still get the feeling there is a problem, quietly start putting your resume together and looking....if you are fully recovered from the stroke and have no restrictions, I don't see how you have a disability claim. I think it may be something else, if she seems to have taken a dislike to you. It's hard to know the nuances of this without actually being there. But the bottom line is, you need to know.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

eta: oops ! didn't read all the way to the bottom before putting in my 2 cents worth. glad it worked out okay.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:01 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,396,525 times
Quote:

I am glad it worked out for you! Usually when I see a story similar to yours on CD, it is already too far gone and the person ends up losing their job.

As for people on CD who live to post putdowns and personal attacks against others instead of trying to address the problem, yeah, I've seen that. Seems very prevalent on P&OC and Relationships. I stay away from all that negative energy, especially in Relationships. Always some poor soul with a broken heart and then mean, catty (usually women) posters tearing the person apart further. On Work & Employment, the arguments that break out are mostly "who is the expert" rather than personal attacks specifically to degrade others.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,669,423 times
i have never been to Relationships but I do frequent the P&OC forum and I enjoy it though it moves too fast really to delve into a subject...I think. Anyway, it is interesting and there are some people on there that I consider to be "plants" (a kind word) to keep things stirred up. JMo. LOL.

I am glad things worked out for the OP.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,328,521 times
Quote:

Good for you!!! Glad things have gotten back to normal, or even better. Good job advocating for yourself!! All the best. And, yes....there are some real amazing folks on these threads...They always make up for the few jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment