Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:13 AM

4,171 posts, read 10,714,149 times

Advertisements

I used to have 30 employees, and would give them all Christmas parties, picnics, etc - at company AND Christmas and birthday presents at my own - expense. I appreciated the work they did and wanted to show it.

Now, semi-retired, my business sold, I work for a company where I am low-man-on-the-totem-pole for income. One day a year, the company gives the "lower-class" employees a $20 gift certificate. However, all this week is "Employee Appreciation Week" - where the lower-paid employees must spend their own money and time to bring a whole week's worth of "treats" for the higher-paid employees. (We get told that they prefer homemade instead of packaged.)The lower-paid employees are also required - not requested - once a year, to work 6 hours after their normal shift, "volunteering" at a fundraiser - for which the higher-paid employees are NOT required to work or even attend, yet for which they get full publicized credit - and the 'lowers' get none.

There are only a handful of the "lower" employees, three times as many of the "higher" employees, and the supervisor as well as the CEO see nothing wrong with this, and talk about 'job dedication' and 'service to others' if it is ever brought up. Mind you, the higher-ups all get free health insurance and paid vacations, which the 'lowers' don't get at all... we get 5 paid days off per year for illness or 'free days' that's it. The 'lowers' get 1/2 hour lunch, off the clock, and are docked if they go one minute beyond - the 'highers' get an hour and a half or more during the day - paid.

Anyone else work in these conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,534,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I used to have 30 employees, and would give them all Christmas parties, picnics, etc - at company AND Christmas and birthday presents at my own - expense. I appreciated the work they did and wanted to show it.

Now, semi-retired, my business sold, I work for a company where I am low-man-on-the-totem-pole for income. One day a year, the company gives the "lower-class" employees a $20 gift certificate. However, all this week is "Employee Appreciation Week" - where the lower-paid employees must spend their own money and time to bring a whole week's worth of "treats" for the higher-paid employees. (We get told that they prefer homemade instead of packaged.)The lower-paid employees are also required - not requested - once a year, to work 6 hours after their normal shift, "volunteering" at a fundraiser - for which the higher-paid employees are NOT required to work or even attend, yet for which they get full publicized credit - and the 'lowers' get none.

There are only a handful of the "lower" employees, three times as many of the "higher" employees, and the supervisor as well as the CEO see nothing wrong with this, and talk about 'job dedication' and 'service to others' if it is ever brought up. Mind you, the higher-ups all get free health insurance and paid vacations, which the 'lowers' don't get at all... we get 5 paid days off per year for illness or 'free days' that's it. The 'lowers' get 1/2 hour lunch, off the clock, and are docked if they go one minute beyond - the 'highers' get an hour and a half or more during the day - paid.

You've GOT to be kidding, right?? Please tell me that this is just a joke, and doesn't really happen, right....????

If I was ever confronted with something like that - I'd throw a conniption fit for the ages, and then some. And then I'd conjure up a bunch of F-5 tornadoes to roar through that place of business and scrape it down to bare concrete. Even that'd not be enough, so I guess I'd have to fire up my time machine and do my best to prevent human "civilization" from ever getting off the ground.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
You've GOT to be kidding, right?? Please tell me that this is just a joke, and doesn't really happen, right....????

If I was ever confronted with something like that - I'd throw a conniption fit for the ages, and then some. And then I'd conjure up a bunch of F-5 tornadoes to roar through that place of business and scrape it down to bare concrete. Even that'd not be enough, so I guess I'd have to fire up my time machine and do my best to prevent human "civilization" from ever getting off the ground.
I wish I were.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I wish I were.
Bummer. Is there any way at all you could just refuse those hideous requirements? Have you worked there long enough to draw unemployment bennies? If I was there, I'd refuse to do the service hours, and the "gifts", as it's against labor law for them to require that, and when they fire me, I'd be drawing the UE pay - and I'd milk that to the bitter end as I'd sure as heck not be wanting to go back to work after that....lol.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Sure, you can refuse - and get written up in your next eval as being "not a team player" and "too independent". Of course, this is also the place where they wrote me up for 'not wearing makeup' - until I added that I have lupus lesions, and cannot. Then suddenly the discussion was terminated and the writeup withdrawn..

Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,373,184 times
Quote:
Sure, you can refuse - and get written up in your next eval as being "not a team player" and "too independent". Of course, this is also the place where they wrote me up for 'not wearing makeup' - until I added that I have lupus lesions, and cannot. Then suddenly the discussion was terminated and the writeup withdrawn..
There are so many things wrong with this, I don't know where to start. Much of this sounds illegal to me.

Why do you stay?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,741,795 times
Decide do you want to be an activist (Take on these issues/leave? ) or a pacifist (Make or bring treats that are bittersweet or bland like lemon squares, or cheap jiffy mix corn muffins )

Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Shoot, I'd welcome that, as I'd be wearing that as a badge of honor...lol.

If I were to work for someone else (I do not currently), I'd *only* work for me, myself and I and *no one else.* I know this sounds selfish, but to me, the sole and only purpose of a job is for the pay and benefits. I'd owe it to myself to gain the most value out of my time (i.e. working only as hard as required by the duties of the job), and I'd fight like hell against any and all unfair workplace policies. This crap about "mandatory" service hours, or gift-giving, or paying homage to your superiors just doesn't go down with me at all. And boy, can I throw down a conniption...lol - honed from many years of practice.

I get sick and tired of employers taking advantage of employees like this, even if it's within the confines of the law. I just wish more people would take a stand for *themselves* instead of kow-towing to the boss just because he/she is a boss. They're not king or queen, they're not mommy and daddy, they're not the police - they're just people that happen to work in the same place as you do - and should be treated as such.

Reading some of these stories sure solidifies my vow never to work for someone again, regardless of how much I may struggle financially.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 AM

22,012 posts, read 25,354,272 times
I have an agency that I work for that likes me to bring homemade cookies when I meet with clients. So what? I think it's retarded, but it takes 15 minutes to put some frozen cookie dough in the oven. They have good clients and pay promptly, so I'll put the pink apron on over my suit and bake the god damn cookies. Actually, I do like baking so everyone once in awhile if I'm not busy I'll make something from scratch.

Why is it worth it to you? Baking cookies is worth it because the agency is selective. Pretty much every time they call me up to bake those stupid cookies and look like an idiot trotting around balancing a tray of cookies in corporate America it's money in my pocket. There's other agencies I work for that are my bread and butter day-to-day. I would not bake cookies for them or their clients. If there's no quid pro quo for the weird demands, I wouldn't put up with them.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,716,979 times
Quote:

No, I have never heard of that.

Have you seen the movie "The Help", the maid baked a nice pie for her nasty boss....LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment