Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,207 times

Advertisements

What have been your experiences with on the job training vs. formal training program?

I have worked for companies in the past that offered formal training with a trainer in a classroom and a training plan/schedule that estimated when you should be up to speed with checkpoints showing where you should be in the learning process. I have enjoyed those programs and have been successful because everything was all mapped out and the expectations were known upfront and the feedback was immediate. You always knew where you stood and where you needed to improve. After the classroom portion you would be moved to your work location to begin the job. There, you would be assigned an experienced employee to help you continue your training.

However, currently, I am doing on the job training and it sucks. There is no feedback and because I am new to this field I have no idea if I am acquiring all the skills and knowledge I need. The person training me has a general idea of the job, but, he's never actually done the job. It's frustrating and it sucks. The company wanted to hire an inexperienced person so they could train the person "their way". Whatever that means. I just don't feel I'm getting all the training I need. There are other employees who have trained me and they don't know much about the functions they have trained me on either because they have only recently started doing these duties themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
It's tough... I'd recommend looking around for more senior employees and trying to learn from them, though it seems you've already had mixed luck with this so far. Maybe chat without folks outside your company who are in the same field? They might have some useful lessons to learn.

In the past, corporations cared to some level about their workers and wanted them to develop useful skills - this usually happened via formal training, such as pairing a new person with a senior mentor. These days, corporations care about nothing but short-term profits and employees are expenses to be discarded as soon as possible, so they lack formal training programs. The end result is an underperforming workforce, but hey - it's cheaper!

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It's tough... I'd recommend looking around for more senior employees and trying to learn from them, though it seems you've already had mixed luck with this so far. Maybe chat without folks outside your company who are in the same field? They might have some useful lessons to learn.

In the past, corporations cared to some level about their workers and wanted them to develop useful skills - this usually happened via formal training, such as pairing a new person with a senior mentor. These days, corporations care about nothing but short-term profits and employees are expenses to be discarded as soon as possible, so they lack formal training programs. The end result is an underperforming workforce, but hey - it's cheaper!

Good luck!
Thanks for your post! One of my co-workers told me that they wanted an inexperienced person because it was cheaper than hiring an experienced one. I guess it really doesn't matter since I don't do too many essential functions anyway.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:12 PM

491 posts, read 2,291,008 times
Don't judge the current job or company by the fact they don't have the formal training you got at another company. I've never received formal training at any company and was able to rise to the highest levels on my own terms. Sometimes the places with formal training are the companies that put you in a cubicle with a pay grade and a specific duty roster that you don't vary from. Very Dilbert.

I see you have another post on this same topic. If you are feeling discombobulated by this non-formal beginning to your job, get to know other folks in your department and ask questions. Maybe they hired you thinking you have more skills than you do. Or maybe you are being impatient and can't let go of the fact that they don't have formal training like the other job did. Maybe it's just not a good fit.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
Don't judge the current job or company by the fact they don't have the formal training you got at another company. I've never received formal training at any company and was able to rise to the highest levels on my own terms. Sometimes the places with formal training are the companies that put you in a cubicle with a pay grade and a specific duty roster that you don't vary from. Very Dilbert.

I see you have another post on this same topic. If you are feeling discombobulated by this non-formal beginning to your job, get to know other folks in your department and ask questions. Maybe they hired you thinking you have more skills than you do. Or maybe you are being impatient and can't let go of the fact that they don't have formal training like the other job did. Maybe it's just not a good fit.

On the job training is only as good as the person training you. For me, that is the major problem. As far as my skills go, they are fine. However, I am new to this field. My employer specifically wanted someone inexperienced so he could train that person. So, they weren't expecting something and got something else that's not the problem. As a matter of fact, I would love it if they gave me more things to do.

It's great that you were able to rise to the top without being trained. But, I don't think not being adequately trained and sufficiently prepared is the proper route to success for the vast majority of people.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Default The Road...

OJT I feel is best in many workplaces. Seeing how it is where you are going to be. The industry I am in I got into over 7 yrs ago, And knew NOTHING about it. it was intense and a huge amount of stuff to learn. Being right there and studying, taking notes and observing allowed me learn fast.

I am a hotel concierge BTW. Came from retail, with a high level management backround.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment