Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 16,842 times

Advertisements

I currently work for a government contractor as their employee. The contract end date is July 31st. The new awarded company has begun their hiring process. I have not yet received their offer letter. I also am frightened that even with their offer letter that something could go wrong before their August 1st contract take-over. However, the company that I am working for has sent out resignation letter templates, asking all employees to fill out accordingly, sign and return to them.

What is the purpose? I am not quiting. The company and I have fulfilled our employment contract. Will this letter disqualify me for unemployment benefits if the new company does not hire me even after an offer letter has been received? Am I reliquishing my vacation pay-out benefits if I resign, rather than letting them lay me off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM

relinquishing...

Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,320,136 times
I too work for a support contractor under contract to the army. when our last contract expired and before the new contractor assumed duties i received a letter of termination. i panicked. Called HR for my company at that time and the reason they sent said letter was so that i could collect unemployment and cobra health insurance if not employed by the incoming contractor. Simply a contract close out type thing.

I, along with most of the other employees, was offered positions by the new incoming contractor so it all worked out.

suggest you contact your HR and confirm the details of your letter and the intent. There is probably some logic behind it. At least you will have the facts so you can decide what to do.

worst case you can write across the bottom of the letter that you are filling out the resignation letter as required by the company for all and do not wish to terminate. and sign your name under that.

Good luck

Old 07-11-2012, 02:50 PM

Default Thank you...

Thank you for the response. I am sure that you are correct. There is likely logic in this letter of resignation. I have been through many contract changes and have always just resumed work with the incoming contractor. Just like you, I was just a little thrown and scared. This has never been required in the past.

I did read in a forum that it could possibly have something to do with security. That you must resign from one company to move your security clearance to the next company. However, my particular position does not have a security clearance requirement.

I have also read that a company strongly suggesting a letter of resignation provides that company with the advantage of discontinuing your unemployment insurance.

That is all that scares me... possibly not getting picked up... and then not being eligible for unemployment. (God forbid that I would ever need it!)

As you suggested, I do plan on contacting the HR department. I just wanted to check with the masses first to see if anyone has an issue with this procedure. I do not want to blindly trust that a multi-million dollar company has my best interest in mind. Just in case!! lol. I am a single parent. If I take away my income without the possibility of unemployment... Tragic.

Thank you again...

Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
I don't know much about your type of contract work but I'm suspicious about a resignation letter. On the surface it seems they may be trying to get out of paying UI benefits. I would certainly follow up with HR as previously suggested.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:40 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Wink My friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtmmare View Post
I currently work for a government contractor as their employee. The contract end date is July 31st. The new awarded company has begun their hiring process. I have not yet received their offer letter. I also am frightened that even with their offer letter that something could go wrong before their August 1st contract take-over. However, the company that I am working for has sent out resignation letter templates, asking all employees to fill out accordingly, sign and return to them.

What is the purpose? I am not quiting. The company and I have fulfilled our employment contract. Will this letter disqualify me for unemployment benefits if the new company does not hire me even after an offer letter has been received? Am I reliquishing my vacation pay-out benefits if I resign, rather than letting them lay me off?
You are asking the wrong people...ask your current employer and your possible new employer.
Koale

Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I don't know much about your type of contract work but I'm suspicious about a resignation letter. On the surface it seems they may be trying to get out of paying UI benefits. I would certainly follow up with HR as previously suggested.

I agree, he wasn't resigning.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 PM

409 posts, read 874,218 times
When you talk to the HR, be sure to ask what happens if you don't submit the resignation. I'm no expert but I don't see any benefit at all for you in signing that letter in your situation. Remember what happen to the Baseball umpires when they resigned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment