Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,659 times

Advertisements

I am currently in a hostile work environment. Have you been in one? If so, what was the situation and how was it (if ever) resolved short of leaving the company or being fired? Were you ever the target?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
What exactly do you mean by hostile?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 PM

Backstabbing, unfairly being targeted, and petty things. For instance, on a Friday, one of my co-workers went to lunch and came back at her usual time. Someone in her division (not her boss) and this particular woman has quite the reputation that precedes her, asked someone if she came back from lunch and this person said no. In the end, my coworker had to defend herself on such a petty thing. This is one example of a huge pile of poop.

Why that person said no.. and why the woman didn't check her facts rather than getting it second hand (I have my theories) is beyond me but in the end, it all comes down to our reviews and that stuff gets on our records.

My company is also going through MASS layoffs but didn't affect our group too much. So, that environment doesn't help either.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Yes, I have. I did complain about it to one boss, after repeated incidents. We all let the few things slide, there is no perfection. But finding one has a dozen bosses and some coworkers aren't shy about trying to cut you off at the knees, I went forward with an email.

It was acknowledged, and things got worse from that point. The two people who were the worst got more aggressive.

If companies let this go on, best to look for a new job.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:35 PM

Ineffective management is part of the problem. I've never worked in a place that had so many managers that SHOULD'NT be managers in my life. This woman I described above is in management and I am a low on the totem pole administrative assistant. So is my co-worker. This woman's admin is VERY bully-ish, aggressive, gossipy type. The two of them are a powerhouse. The rest of us (admins) are just "ducking" hoping it doesn't hit us. I know if these two women were gone, it would be peaceful but alas....

Old 07-17-2012, 10:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Hostile Work Enviroment is a specific employment legal terminology to define a pattern of conduct, actions, or climate aginst a single or group of a protected or identified class within the definition of your state law. From what you describe, you are not a victim of or talking about a actua Hostile Work Enviroment. So, attempting to get advice from a person who did expereince a actual/real Hostile Work Enviroment for your case would be prety useless.

May I suggest that you reserach the 3rd cousins of a Hostile Work Enviroments; Emotional Distress in the Workplace and/or Intimidation in the Work Place. They may be better examples of what you are really expereincing.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Hostile Work Enviroment is a specific employment legal terminology to define a pattern of conduct, actions, or climate aginst a single or group of a protected or identified class within the definition of your state law. From what you describe, you are not a victim of or talking about a actua Hostile Work Enviroment. So, attempting to get advice from a person who did expereince a actual/real Hostile Work Enviroment for your case would be prety useless.

May I suggest that you reserach the 3rd cousins of a Hostile Work Enviroments; Emotional Distress in the Workplace and/or Intimidation in the Work Place. They may be better examples of what you are really expereincing.
That's interesting Pacific... I will look into that. Thanks

Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
That's interesting Pacific... I will look into that. Thanks
You are most welcome. The reason i mentioned it is because many people go off chasing some Hostile Work Enviroment windmill only to find they are on the wrong subject. Also, if you need to seek legal advice and mention Hostile Work Enviroment, they are thinking something totally different and may say they don't take those cases when they would take one of the other types.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 PM

Yes, you are right. I am researching workplace intimidation and that is more befitting of my situation at work. In the end, it's about "control" and these people often feel threatened that they need to "bully" others. It's often very underhanded and vague but can do a lot of damage. Amazing that this goes on so much.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:35 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
I am currently in a hostile work environment. Have you been in one? If so, what was the situation and how was it (if ever) resolved short of leaving the company or being fired? Were you ever the target?
Not overly Hostile at the moment, but full of people who don't want to you to succeed, and the thought you might get promoted would kill them altogether
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment