Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 10:59 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,118,925 times

Advertisements

This is ideal for people who complain that their looks and age are huge obstacles regarding employment. The employer is basing your eligibility solely based on your skills & experience. Has anyone gone this route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,135 times
I'm not sure if anyone here has found any that are legit and pay enough to be considered a "job" vs. "a hobby."

Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
wouldnt you still have to interview in person? the last place i worked at had some work at home positions (and i could work OT from home) but they still had the normal interview process. any legit company is going to have that

Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 AM

No, you don't have to interview in person. there are plenty that are legit and offer full time hours. American Express has a work at home position that pays 12/hr and its full time

Old 07-27-2012, 04:15 PM

461 posts, read 911,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
No, you don't have to interview in person. there are plenty that are legit and offer full time hours. American Express has a work at home position that pays 12/hr and its full time
Do you have any information on this?

Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
Do you have any information on this?
just go to the American express website, navigate to the careers tab and search home based positions. some of them might be filled by now cause they were hiring a few weeks ago. they make you take a bunch of tests though, with basic math and stuff. its kinda long

Last edited by nyanna; 07-27-2012 at 08:16 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 09:20 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Many moons ago, I worked for a company called West at Home, where I answered phones (from home) for a large home appliance repair center, scheduling repairs for broken washing machines and refrigerators. I know that I was guaranteed minimum wage, but was paid by the minute, and as long as I stayed busy, made $9 or so per hour, IIRC. I don't know if the pay has gone up... this was when my children were babies. I'm pretty sure the company is still around. There are other companies of this type, too... I think the pay is roughly the same at all of them.

I started writing articles for a company called TextBroker about 4 or 5 years ago (I think?), which was solely work at home. The starting pay was awful, of course (I think a penny per word, so $5 for a 500-word article), but it did give me some of the skills necessary to start my own fairly-prolific freelance writing business, which I run from home (well, and from local coffee shops, the library, and sometimes McDonalds, depending on my mood).

It can be done if you can get your foot in the door!

Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM

461 posts, read 911,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
just go to the American express website, navigate to the careers tab and search home based positions. some of them might be filled by now cause they were hiring a few weeks ago. they make you take a bunch of tests though, with basic math and stuff. its kinda long
Thanks! I will look into it.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
I am a freelancer on elance.com. I've picked up some fairly lucrative jobs there and have one good client at the moment. Hours are on an as needed basis but I make $15/hr. Some weeks I get 5 hours, others I've had 30 (it's about my work-at-home limit). It takes time to find something like this but the longer you take to get started...you know the story!

However, you have to happen onto the right employer. That takes time. I was lucky when I got this job. Competition on the site is fierce. You are bidding against people that will work for $2-3/hr from outside the US and many employers there (including US based) are cheap. It can be infuriating especially when you consider cheap labor is the reason so many here are struggling to make ends meet.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:53 PM

55 posts, read 242,281 times
Don't look for work at home jobs. Most of them are scams. Instead, look for freelancing jobs. Specifically, ones in writing, web development, transcription and programming are fairly easy to come by. I've been working as a freelance technical writer for over 4 years, with the last 6-12 months being full time since I graduated college. Real gigs DO exist, but you have to be persistent in applying to them. I now work full-time as a freelance IT project manager and writer, have one full-time client (practically an employee for how much I do for them/how many hours I work) and a few part-time clients. My income has quadrupled since January and continues to increase as I increase my rates and secure more work. All this to say that it is possible to earn a good income working from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment