Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,759 times

Advertisements

is anyone here a traveling nurse? my fiance is in nursing school, and is learning about these programs. everything she has found sounds too good to be true. she has found placement agencies the claim a bonus to sign on, relocation reimbursement, 13 weeks at a facility for a decent rate per hour, housing provided or more money to cover housing (up to $1200/month) then a completion bonus or extension bonus. it all adds up to a lot more money then we are both making combined.

so, does anyone do this? do you like it? what don't you like about it? are the claims of the placement agencies far fetched? is the housing they provide nice and private? pet friendly?

this would be a very real way of fulfilling our dreams of travel, if it isn't too good to be true. and i have never seen anything like this that wasn't too good to be true.

thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 03:26 PM

306 posts, read 1,243,235 times
something similar to consider and u are closer home is HOME HEALTH NURSING...........the pay is great, reimbursement for mileage, many offer full timers benefit packages......PRN u can pick and choose and more money than regular full timers..great for nurses that have home schedules they have to work around..these are not staffing agencies........

I have done both.........traveling nursing remember u are treated as the new kid on the block alot......as soon as u make real good friends it's time to leave..u have to be a REAL self starter and a go-getter...great experience in a large variety of nursing..
many do offer contracts and bonuses........usually with some certain committment..There are many nursing forums that can give u wonderful personal experiences of their job......just google............
my personality does not go well with a job in one place..i love the fast paced and differerent environments...........

Old 10-05-2007, 06:33 PM

448 posts, read 1,050,068 times
travel nursing can be cool. I have worked with travelers and have a friend who does it there are a few things to consider:
She is just graduating from school so lacks experience. It takes a confident experienced person to jump into a strange enviornment and work competently. She needs to recognize when there is trouble. I would suggest working minimum of a year or 2 in a med/surg unit before trying to go to strange places. Most hospitals of a decent size have new grad programs that give new nurses extended orientation time. Travelors get a couple days of "this is how you use our computers, this is how we chart, there's the cafeteria..."
what are you going to do while she is working? Do you have a job you can take with you? Can you work online? You may find yourself getting pretty bored with your own career choices if you are planning to just work various temp jobs and follow her around. I know several husband/ wife nurses that take assignments together and love it.
My husband and I are considering it when our kids are gone. I have a friend who's husband retired, but she has a few more years to work so she winters and works in FL while he works as a starter at a golf course down there. Good tips and they get free golf as a benefit.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
is anyone here a traveling nurse? my fiance is in nursing school, and is learning about these programs. everything she has found sounds too good to be true. she has found placement agencies the claim a bonus to sign on, relocation reimbursement, 13 weeks at a facility for a decent rate per hour, housing provided or more money to cover housing (up to $1200/month) then a completion bonus or extension bonus. it all adds up to a lot more money then we are both making combined.

so, does anyone do this? do you like it? what don't you like about it? are the claims of the placement agencies far fetched? is the housing they provide nice and private? pet friendly?

this would be a very real way of fulfilling our dreams of travel, if it isn't too good to be true. and i have never seen anything like this that wasn't too good to be true.

thanks in advance....
Yes, it is true and there are scores of people who do this for a living. The webiste I mention below has information about different companies, good and bad, and your wife can interact with people who are traveling now. She is more than likely going to even find someone on the site that actually works at the place she wants to go to. My hubby and I are going to do this once I graduate. He is going to be my chauffeur and chef whilst I work, LOL. We were truck drivers so we have the traveling itch. This is a way we can travel and make GREAT money....GOOD LUCK.

If you want some great information about nursing and travel nursing, I am a nursing student, go to the website...allnurses.com.... You will find SCORES of information...it is a forum website, like this one, except all are nurses, retired nurses, or nursing students....there are a little over 200,000 people who are there on any given day...

Good luck. I too want to be a travel nurse once I complete school and do my 1 year as a staff nurse...

Old 10-06-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedTee View Post
something similar to consider and u are closer home is HOME HEALTH NURSING...........the pay is great, reimbursement for mileage, many offer full timers benefit packages......PRN u can pick and choose and more money than regular full timers..great for nurses that have home schedules they have to work around..these are not staffing agencies........

I have done both.........traveling nursing remember u are treated as the new kid on the block alot......as soon as u make real good friends it's time to leave..u have to be a REAL self starter and a go-getter...great experience in a large variety of nursing..
many do offer contracts and bonuses........usually with some certain committment..There are many nursing forums that can give u wonderful personal experiences of their job......just google............
my personality does not go well with a job in one place..i love the fast paced and differerent environments...........
we are looking forward to being travelers. we don't own a house, or plan to until we are done traveling and have no ties to the area we live in now. we are really excited to be able to see the nation, and not like a tourist would. she also loves fast paced environments, i guess that comes from her days as a paramedic2

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmousern View Post
travel nursing can be cool. I have worked with travelers and have a friend who does it there are a few things to consider:
She is just graduating from school so lacks experience. It takes a confident experienced person to jump into a strange enviornment and work competently. She needs to recognize when there is trouble. I would suggest working minimum of a year or 2 in a med/surg unit before trying to go to strange places. Most hospitals of a decent size have new grad programs that give new nurses extended orientation time. Travelors get a couple days of "this is how you use our computers, this is how we chart, there's the cafeteria..."
what are you going to do while she is working? Do you have a job you can take with you? Can you work online? You may find yourself getting pretty bored with your own career choices if you are planning to just work various temp jobs and follow her around. I know several husband/ wife nurses that take assignments together and love it.
My husband and I are considering it when our kids are gone. I have a friend who's husband retired, but she has a few more years to work so she winters and works in FL while he works as a starter at a golf course down there. Good tips and they get free golf as a benefit.
she is certainly a self starter and working in an Urgent Care now. she does the same thing the nurses at that facility do. while we both know it is far from an all knowing position but she is getting valuable experiance working with 2 former emergency room docs. they seam to value her opinion a lot and they have been working on training her to be able to evaluate patients further. the docs she works with are great mentors to her.

for me is another story. i'm in a very specialized architectural drafting career, and while i can adapt to just about any fields or architectural drafting the positions aren't always available in every market. i have been considering a few options, including perhaps becoming a drafting contractor. i've also been considering going to school to become an x-ray tech. Although to be honest i'm not sure i want to work in the medical fields, but at least i'll know i have a chance of a job anywhere she goes. i also don't object to odd jobs. i would love to become more versed in how the world around me works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurz2b View Post
Yes, it is true and there are scores of people who do this for a living. The webiste I mention below has information about different companies, good and bad, and your wife can interact with people who are traveling now. She is more than likely going to even find someone on the site that actually works at the place she wants to go to. My hubby and I are going to do this once I graduate. He is going to be my chauffeur and chef whilst I work, LOL. We were truck drivers so we have the traveling itch. This is a way we can travel and make GREAT money....GOOD LUCK.

If you want some great information about nursing and travel nursing, I am a nursing student, go to the website...allnurses.com.... You will find SCORES of information...it is a forum website, like this one, except all are nurses, retired nurses, or nursing students....there are a little over 200,000 people who are there on any given day...

Good luck. I too want to be a travel nurse once I complete school and do my 1 year as a staff nurse...
thanks for the link!

Old 10-06-2007, 02:57 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post

thanks in advance....
It's true traveling nurses do well. But the good agencies are the ones who pay the most and have the best contracts...they also usually require at least 2 years experience in med surg, and sometimes more in a specialty area. To be honest I wouldn't want to start jumping from hospital to hospital with out that experience.

The other option is to "travel" to your own state. Yup you can get contracts under travel agencies locally...again all the perks with out the moving.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
It's true traveling nurses do well. But the good agencies are the ones who pay the most and have the best contracts...they also usually require at least 2 years experience in med surg, and sometimes more in a specialty area. To be honest I wouldn't want to start jumping from hospital to hospital with out that experience.

The other option is to "travel" to your own state. Yup you can get contracts under travel agencies locally...again all the perks with out the moving.

thats what she wants to do first, actually. there are a lot of contracts available in phoenix and that will give us some of time to build up a decent savings account, pay off some bills and get her experiance.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:22 PM

448 posts, read 1,050,068 times
I have worked with travelers who came to our area because they had family or friends they could stay with. If you don't require the housing, you pay rate goes way up. I live in MN and know people who take agency shifts just for the extra cash in the mpls area.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 PM

18 posts, read 42,398 times
Hey, Sorry No Advice For You,, But Maybe I Can Get Some Help.. I Want To Start Nursing School In Jan.. Ihave Seen Hundreds Of On Line Classes For A L.p.n To Become An R.n. But It Would Be Great To Be Able To Take L.p.n Classes On Line As Well..any Info..thanks,, Betty In Illinois..

Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 AM

4 posts, read 14,856 times
HEy guys, I am a travel RN... Tell your wife or friend that a travel nursing is recommended for a nurse who has already has experience.... I was a Surgical ICU nurse for two years as a full time hospital employee before i ventured into travel nursing... It is wise to first get experience.... THe travel nurses can most of the time get the rather challenging patients...Other than that, she can make great money.... Just remember the taxes kill you unless you live more than 50 miles from your house... The bonuses, not really.. I am still single and a 2000 dollar bonus ends up to be about 1200 after taxes... I hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment