Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 AM

653 posts, read 1,803,209 times

Advertisements

findly185, I thought you said he was appointed DM? What happened to this? Was he not promoted and given the pay of a DM?

How did he get sales? He's not a salesman, but a PM. He shouldn't have allowed this to happen. A PM must at times say No, and in fact this is part of the ethical standards of the PMI. (full disclosure, I'm a Program Manager, unempl)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:22 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
findly185, I thought you said he was appointed DM? What happened to this? Was he not promoted and given the pay of a DM?

How did he get sales? He's not a salesman, but a PM. He shouldn't have allowed this to happen. A PM must at times say No, and in fact this is part of the ethical standards of the PMI. (full disclosure, I'm a Program Manager, unempl)
He wasnt appointed DM he is still a PM doing the DM and Sales guys job. I guess it just happened. They put in their two weeks and no one interviewed or hired anyone to fill the position. Instead they had both the DM and sales guy teach him for the two weeks before they left.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 AM

It seems like this has gone beyond a temporary situation now though. I should think he ought to ask for the authority (if he doesn't have it already) to hire a salesman.

An ethical PM must say No sometimes, even to his boss in an untenable situation. This is required by PMI.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Here's the situation:

Hired a little over a year ago as a Project Manager to assist a Department Manager (20 years with the company making 100K+).

Seven months in, the Department Manager leaves the company abruptly. You are given one week to learn his job.

Four months after that, your Sales guy leaves (10 years 80k) to work for a competitor. You have absolutely no sales experience whatsoever and now you are forced to go to client sites and make cold-calls.

You are given two raises during this time (both around 7%), making less then 1/6 of the other combined two salaries. You now are forced to attend sales meetings, letting VP's know what sales your driving, while running the entire department solo. Your manager has told you, in both your reviews, that your doing an excellent job and because of that, they dont intend to hire anyone to fill those positions.

What would you do in this situation? Any advice would be great.
I would leave.

I wouldn't have even BEGUN doing the salesman job either and I would have definitely asked for a timeframe of WHEN they would be hiring a new DM and how long I should be expected to "help out."

What a chintzy outfit expecting one person to do the job of three for a fraction of the compensation.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 PM

86 posts, read 167,275 times
First there is a lot of decent advice on here. But I get the feeling that whomever you work for is possably a tight wad. The reason I say that is because I too work for a self-professed tight wad. He will not hire anyone new, he would rather spread everyone thin to cover the empty position. We had a girl go on maternity leave and instead of hiring someone part time he spread everyone thin for almost 3 months which is very tough.

I think my best advice (being a newly appointed sales manager for a company) is decide which of the 3 positions you like the most, and then go to your manager and discuss your options for that job in the future. If for the most part you lke the company you work for and there is a position you like or you think you will like the more you get into it, I would not quit. But I do not know if your boss is one who is wanting to help or one who just throws people into positions and does not offer any help. Regardless of what you do, having your resume updated would not hurt. But if you stick it out and get the pay grade right you may find they are offering you a position that you wind up loving.

Good LUCK!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 PM

We think it's the OP's significant other, actually.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 AM

2,622 posts, read 3,150,883 times
I think you should go to your boss and ask for at least close to what your DM was making. He made 100K after 20 years, you should get somewhere around 80K, being you have less experience. Tell him you need a new sales mgr, that working the 2 jobs together is incompatible. A dept mgr needs to manage the dept and a sales mgr needs to manage the field. If you know good candidates for SM, tell him. He says he likes your work; he should at least negotiate with you. If you leave, he may wind up with someone incompetent. If he won't budge, don't burn bridges but do start looking around. Do not be anyone's doormat for too long. It can be a hard habit to break. Also, line up all the support you can from colleagues and underlings. If you are doing a good job some of them will see it and try to help as much as possible. Notice if anyone seems to be working against you. If so, keep 1 eye on them. Keep your friends close & your enemies closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment