Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM

633 posts, read 1,014,218 times

Advertisements

I would spend what I have, get the cake & have the people who donated sign the card. The end. Or, if taking the card around is super annoying, I would sign it FOR them - something like, "Your friends & colleagues in department x." Very generic, but still something.

You must look after your own interests, here...

However, next year... I would just get her a nice cupcake or something yummy with your own card and put it on her desk. Assuming, that is, she gives YOU something for secretary's day. All that work you do as a secretary, plus, organizing for the cake & card etc., is thankless. The other people don't really appreciate your efforts on it.

It's all about removing stress wherever you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,990,567 times
The appeciation one receives on Bosses Day should never be misconstrued as an entitlement. This is a valuable day to send a message, sometimes a nice one, sometimes one whose silence is "deafening". By the sound of things, she has earned the latter, so why struggle to provide any result not merited? You may wish to query those who gave money to see if they felt "coerced" , or were they simply doing what they felt was merited.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:58 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,483,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I would kindly explain the situation to her on Boss's day. Simply tell her that you tried your best to round up the dollars for a cake, but due to the dismal performance on her end, you only had enough to cover the bureaucratic functions involved with the fund raiser, leaving nothing to spare for the cake. While this unfortunate event is entirely her fault for being such a vile human being in the office, explain how ill prepared you were for this uphill challenge you bestowed upon yourself. Perhaps with more time, preparation, and personal PR coaching, you would have been able to right this ship before it ran aground and exploded in a ball of flames. If you would really like to go the extra mile, devise a list of strategies that could help her improve her standing in the office, so next year might fare better. Obviously, this Boss's day was a complete failure, and an unfortunate event for all parties involved, but it's never too early to think about next year. Eyes on the prize...
I'm sorry, but this is bad advice. It of course depends on your relationship with the boss, but in most situations one cannot tell their boss about their "dismal performance" and give them tips on how they could improve.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,836,067 times
Again, thank you all for your replies. Fortunately for me, I work with absolutely wonderful people who ALL have this boss's number. However, since we are all in this together, I have found they are doing what they need to do to get that magic amount of money together for the cake. After all, most of us are doing it for the cake, lol.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,498,953 times
This is a pet peave of mine. Corporations, making tons of cash, asking workers whom salaries have been declining to contribute to something the company should pay for! This is BS plain and simple! I had a sales manager invite us out for happy hour and then asked us to chip in? Buddy you are the one with expense account not me, how dare you ask me to chip in when you asked me out. Companies should never ask employees to kick in for things they can easily cover.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:49 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,836,067 times
We're government so whatever we do comes out of our pockets, which is as it should be. But I agree, too many private companies expect too much from their underpaid employees.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,498,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
We're government so whatever we do comes out of our pockets, which is as it should be. But I agree, too many private companies expect too much from their underpaid employees.
Sure understand, thanks for clarifying.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:01 PM

29,850 posts, read 24,953,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I'm sorry, but this is bad advice. It of course depends on your relationship with the boss, but in most situations one cannot tell their boss about their "dismal performance" and give them tips on how they could improve.

It is wise to disregard sarcastic remarks

Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,483,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It is wise to disregard sarcastic remarks
haha those didn't sound too sarcastic, but tis the internet.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 PM

256 posts, read 617,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wouldn't do a thing. Just pretend like boss's day doesn't exist. This has to be pretty high up on the list of silly things people do.
Most managers and other bosses do not want anything done on this day. It is not appropriate for staff to buy the boss gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment