Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,410,921 times

Advertisements

I will keep you updated...and will probably use the direct message...being supportive to him is really what matters most to me. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 12:09 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,486,257 times
He may want to try talking to a therapist. From your post it sounds like he's suffering from bad anxiety. I have a very annoying habit of over-thinking things and it can sometimes be similar to what it sounds like your friend is going through, but I usually succeed at talking myself out of it and I have bipolar disorder, which is why I recommend therapy for whatever the underlying reason is. It can work wonders.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
He may want to try talking to a therapist. From your post it sounds like he's suffering from bad anxiety. I have a very annoying habit of over-thinking things and it can sometimes be similar to what it sounds like your friend is going through, but I usually succeed at talking myself out of it and I have bipolar disorder, which is why I recommend therapy for whatever the underlying reason is. It can work wonders.
I htikn it may help him, but that is also something that he has to believe before it will. And at this point, he really thinks that he is being reasonable. Guessing I will talk to him today and I may suggest it. Luckily, we have the kid of relationship where I can talkto him and say that I am worried....

Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,965,209 times
I realize this is going to sound overly simplistic, but there is some comfort in accepting that there are no guarantees in life. Accepting that you really can't control anything is actually freeing. Like someone else alluded, you can do the perfect job and, for reasons beyond your control, you can still get fired.

I'd encourage him to come up with some actionable alternate plans. He can build up his emergency savings, pay down debt, have his resume up to date, etc. Then, when he gets into that loop of worrying about losing his job, tell him he's right, he can. And then move on. I just don't think indulging him at this point is helping either one of you. By the way, I think you're a great friend.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,850,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I htikn it may help him, but that is also something that he has to believe before it will. And at this point, he really thinks that he is being reasonable. Guessing I will talk to him today and I may suggest it. Luckily, we have the kid of relationship where I can talkto him and say that I am worried....
The way I deal with paranoia, is to ask that person the question every time they bring it up.
Im going to get fired, I know it.... Why do you say that, what have you done to make you think that?
I can just feel it! ....... did you feel it before, when you were terminated? You KNEW, you were going to get fireD?

If you keep up this kinda conversation, don't answer, ask him to answer himself. It normally gets them to recognize their paranoia.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,350,591 times
I can really relate to both your concern and your friend's worry. It's hard not to feel gunshy after losing two jobs, and once you lose your confidence, it's doubly hard to build it back up again.

Like a couple of others here, my first thought was therapy or counseling, and if he'd consider it, I still think it could be a very useful approach to explore. At the same time, though, I know a lot of people are averse to that kind of suggestion. So I was thinking that perhaps a "life coach" (or whatever it is they call themselves) might be an alternative he could consider. I think that sometimes people are more amenable to counseling if it comes in the guise of "coaching," making it more like sports and less like mental illness, hence less threatening. I don't know what all is available in that field in your neck of the woods, but it could be worth passing on the idea. From your description, he really just needs to get past the impact to his confidence and sense of self-worth, and that shouldn't be a terribly long process if he can just connect with an effective coach/counselor.

There is one other comment I wanted to make, and that is to be sure to remember to take care of yourself in this process, too. It's so easy and so dangerous to get dragged into a never-ending role as the counselor/shoulder-to-cry-on kind of friend, and it will just suck all your energy into the vortex of his neediness. It's really, really hard to look at a friend who is hurting and not be able to jump in and fix it; we all have that urge to be the fixer-upper. You can't do it for him, sadly - but you CAN wind up damaging your own emotional health if you throw too much energy into trying to fix it for him. Sometimes the best way to love a friend (or spouse, or kid, or sibling) is also the toughest: you have to let them make their own way out of the slough of despair.

Good luck to you both. You sound like a wonderful friend.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I realize this is going to sound overly simplistic, but there is some comfort in accepting that there are no guarantees in life. Accepting that you really can't control anything is actually freeing. Like someone else alluded, you can do the perfect job and, for reasons beyond your control, you can still get fired.

I'd encourage him to come up with some actionable alternate plans. He can build up his emergency savings, pay down debt, have his resume up to date, etc. Then, when he gets into that loop of worrying about losing his job, tell him he's right, he can. And then move on. I just don't think indulging him at this point is helping either one of you. By the way, I think you're a great friend.
Thanks. For the words of encouragement and for saying I am being great friend. Nice to hear, as I feel like I am letting him down....so thanks. It felt good.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I can really relate to both your concern and your friend's worry. It's hard not to feel gunshy after losing two jobs, and once you lose your confidence, it's doubly hard to build it back up again.

I really think this is where he is...he lost so much of his confidence after round 2 that it seems to be hiding.

Like a couple of others here, my first thought was therapy or counseling, and if he'd consider it, I still think it could be a very useful approach to explore. At the same time, though, I know a lot of people are averse to that kind of suggestion. So I was thinking that perhaps a "life coach" (or whatever it is they call themselves) might be an alternative he could consider. I think that sometimes people are more amenable to counseling if it comes in the guise of "coaching," making it more like sports and less like mental illness, hence less threatening. I don't know what all is available in that field in your neck of the woods, but it could be worth passing on the idea. From your description, he really just needs to get past the impact to his confidence and sense of self-worth, and that shouldn't be a terribly long process if he can just connect with an effective coach/counselor.

We are in Los Angeles, so I am POSITIVE that would be something we could find. And I really like the idea, not a therapist, just someone to help talk him through some of it.

There is one other comment I wanted to make, and that is to be sure to remember to take care of yourself in this process, too. It's so easy and so dangerous to get dragged into a never-ending role as the counselor/shoulder-to-cry-on kind of friend, and it will just suck all your energy into the vortex of his neediness. It's really, really hard to look at a friend who is hurting and not be able to jump in and fix it; we all have that urge to be the fixer-upper. You can't do it for him, sadly - but you CAN wind up damaging your own emotional health if you throw too much energy into trying to fix it for him. Sometimes the best way to love a friend (or spouse, or kid, or sibling) is also the toughest: you have to let them make their own way out of the slough of despair.

I am trying. This is all pretty new...and luckily I have a job that I am still fairly new at (6+ months), so I get a break at work, and my friend is good at letting me have my evenings with my new husband, so I am getting time to destress. But thanks for your concern.

Good luck to you both. You sound like a wonderful friend.
Thanks to you as well for the encouragement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment