Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times

Advertisements

So what lessons did you take from your first jobs in your life?

I'll start. My first job was as my father's apprentice. He was an electrician, and I was going to be his apprentice. So when I turned 15 years old I really wanted to work to buy things I wanted. I went to my hometown of Kansas City,MO to work a job, and eventually my father and uncle were happy to oblige. My father had me work with my uncle (who owned a roofing company) where I had to strip roofs, and dispose of the old shingles. That's hard work considering how HOT it could get in Missouri. A roofing job would take about 2 weeks. My father paid me $50 for every roofing job. Little did I know my uncle was paying him $300! My uncle was basically giving him his cut and mine! the expectation was that my father would give me my cut. When I asked my father he said "you're not working hard enough, so $50 is all you deserve!". I was basically used as cheap labor.

My father is also the most offensive person on the planet who will work you like a slave. He had me clean up non working toilets with waste on in them. He had my shovel a ton of dirt. He had me run and get his tools. He had me follow him and be a hand on every odd job he had in the city of Kansas City. I would work my ass off, and he would pay me a whopping $20 a week, because in his mind I never worked hard enough. On top of that pretty much berating me the entire time.

The impact?

I NEVER EVER HAD a worse boss than my father. It has literally gone up hill from that point forward. I had the cheapest, most verbally abusive father, who had me do every filthy job in the world for what is basically peanuts! I even tried to fight him, but 15 year old scrawny teenager vs a street smart life long manual labor electrician?

As a result I now have VERY thick skin in corporate America. Very little gets to me, and I always keep a relaxed attitude. Never really over stress and worry, just do the job, and do it as right as possible. Generally not intimidated by management and upper management, but I respect their position and authority. For the most part, my father being such a horrible boss pretty much made me a VERY professional worker down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:38 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
My first "real" job was the military. Should pretty much answer the rest of that question. I guess it's also why I get so fricken annoyed when people are LAZY at their jobs. I can't stand laziness.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 PM

101 posts, read 173,829 times
My first job was at my dad's company, but not in his department since that wasn't allowed. Instead, I got placed in credit and collections, calling people about their overdue bills and reminding them to pay up. I also had to issue termination notices for their utilities. That definitely taught me a lot about dealing with difficult people and handling stress.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:40 PM

841 posts, read 1,918,020 times
I worked every summer/break from the summer after college through college at the same company as my dad, as well as some of you other posters.

He was 100x more strict and difficult with me. Did it teach me anything? Well, not really. At 18-21 I think you just go to work and not think about it. I used to feel I would just get my degree and work in something more interesting.

Years later, I remember we had some good times back then in the 80s. You could get a leg up as a young adult and work in an office for experience and money (unlike now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment