Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Well clearly the OP doesn't mention where they asked for separate checks before hand...
The donkey's detached hind leg is still twitching and is a painful sight to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,193,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It's indeed theft but theft from the company, not "theft" from subordinate fellow employees which is what this thread is basically all about. If the company accountant is dumb enough to approve such expenses because he/she is too lazy to look at details, that's too bad but it doesn't directly and financially affect the other participants.
The questions was asked if the OP should have paid an equal amount or just what her meal cost. Clearly that is a universal question that would apply to any group of people going out to eat, work related or not.

Theft is theft.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,552,333 times
1. The even split is the usual way the bill is paid when a co-workers goes out for a meal. I think you did the right thing by paying the amount you were asked. You would have looked really cheap if you had nickel and dimed over $8.

The only way to avoid that is by not going out with them.

2. That admin's behavior was completely unprofessional. If you noticed, I'm sure others have as well, and I'm sure it doesn't sit too well with management.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 PM

331 posts, read 736,083 times
Quote:
Question #1 just depends on the person, I guess. I went out to celebrate a friend's birthday recently, which is why I keep bringing up the 10 people equation. Some people ordered alcohol and some didn't (I was one who didn't). But since it was a high-end place we just split the check evenly between ourselves and the birthday girl didn't pay.

Question #2 Maybe you should pull the employee to the side and mention something to her? A lot of companies/places aren't ethically/morally sound. Maybe you could put a change to that. It obviously wasn't her first time doing that if she was comfortable with it.
Question 1 - Just to clarify, there were no seperate cheques, and I'm male

Question 2 - I'm not her manager, so I'm not really in any position to do anything about it...

Old 10-12-2012, 01:55 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,171,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
Question 1 - Just to clarify, there were no seperate cheques, and I'm male

Question 2 - I'm not her manager, so I'm not really in any position to do anything about it...
if you have some sort of confidential hotline i would report it, assuming she works for your company (i may have missed that info). someone who is okay with doing something like that right in front of other employees is definitely questionable. who knows what other things she is taking from the company. i assume you want to work for a company that is financially solid

Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
if you have some sort of confidential hotline i would report it, assuming she works for your company (i may have missed that info). someone who is okay with doing something like that right in front of other employees is definitely questionable. who knows what other things she is taking from the company. i assume you want to work for a company that is financially solid
What SHE? The only time the OP mentioned gender was in reference to going to the admin manager on the QT after the fact to ask advice (as has already been pointed out) and who wasn't in attendance at this luncheon. Reading even a short thread is a good idea before commenting.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:28 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,991,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What SHE? The only time the OP mentioned gender was in reference to going to the admin manager on the QT after the fact to ask advice (as has already been pointed out) and who wasn't in attendance at this luncheon. Reading even a short thread is a good idea before commenting.
No. The person who ordered the extra meal is the one the poster is referring to. The same person I referred to earlier on.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:29 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,757,641 times
In theory, if someone invites you out to eat, it's proper etiquette for them to treat you.

If someone invited me out to eat then forced me to pay for my own food, I would do just that then cut my ties from them, as I don't mingle with classless people.

As far as your question #2 OP, what other people do is none of your business (even if it's wrong). You'll do best to not get involved in what they do.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,641,985 times
Quote:
Proper etiquette is to split the cost of the entire check evenly to avoid hassle and complication.

If you don't like the rules then maybe you shouldn't have eaten out with a group of people.

For example: If there are 10 people and the check is $500, then you each should be paying $50.

For question 2, if you weren't paying for the meal then why does it matter? It was expensed to the company. Did you want to order a meal too and feel disappointed that you didn't?
thats dumb
what if you had a glass of water and a salad and they had lobsters, caviar and steak or whatever else
u pay only yo part

Old 10-12-2012, 02:48 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,641,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
In theory, if someone invites you out to eat, it's proper etiquette for them to treat you.

If someone invited me out to eat then forced me to pay for my own food, I would do just that then cut my ties from them, as I don't mingle with classless people.

As far as your question #2 OP, what other people do is none of your business (even if it's wrong). You'll do best to not get involved in what they do.
no its not
if u a man and takin yo woman out then yea, but u dont need to pay for friends or others unless they're broke and u jus want to be nice, but u dont have to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment