Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:20 AM

460 posts, read 1,018,451 times

Advertisements

I guess what I was trying to say is.... Look at what places jobs a re available in sme cities you might be interested in living in..and go from there. While a city might have a large department...there is no guarantee they need more people or are hiring right now. I know departments in pg county and areas near dc are hiring now..but don't know what positions. I also know, like I mentioned, homeland security had some analyst type positions in multiple locations bc I was looking for my husband, who is currently a police officer.

You're right, Cj degrees are not worthless if that's the field you're going into. My husband has that degree and gets paid more because of it than the many officers that don't have a degree. It also makes him eligible over many others for certain promotions.

Good luck!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:32 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,638,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
I guess what I was trying to say is.... Look at what places jobs a re available in sme cities you might be interested in living in..and go from there. While a city might have a large department...there is no guarantee they need more people or are hiring right now. I know departments in pg county and areas near dc are hiring now..but don't know what positions. I also know, like I mentioned, homeland security had some analyst type positions in multiple locations bc I was looking for my husband, who is currently a police officer.

You're right, Cj degrees are not worthless if that's the field you're going into. My husband has that degree and gets paid more because of it than the many officers that don't have a degree. It also makes him eligible over many others for certain promotions.

Good luck!
exactly, people are ignorant
like i said, DC area is the best for these kinda jobs hands down, it's all bout security there, even pentagon got its own police dept and theres a buncha jobs in non profits and similar organizations with analyst type jobs too plus DC got the best economy now so its def on my radar, like u said, it offers all kinds of homeland security and intel analyst jobs, but Im tryin to see if other cities can offer adequate opportunities, not sure if i wan move to dc yet
and yea i did look at diff cities, i guess the only cities ill consider at this point are dc, chi and boston or mite stay in nj, just move to a diff part, further from nyc

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 10-13-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-13-2012, 10:40 AM

460 posts, read 1,018,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
exactly, people are ignorant
like i said, DC area is the best for these kinda jobs hands down, it's all bout security there, even pentagon got its own police dept and theres a buncha jobs in non profits and similar organizations with analyst type jobs too plus DC got the best economy now so its def on my radar, like u said, it offers all kinds of homeland security and intel analyst jobs, but Im tryin to see if other cities can offer adequate opportunities, not sure if i wan move to dc yet
and yea i did look at diff cities, i guess the only cities ill consider at this point are dc, chi and boston or mite stay in nj, just move to a diff part, further from nyc
I know they have homeland security departments all over the country too...not just dc.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,638,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
I know they have homeland security departments all over the country too...not just dc.
well of course, but all the HQs are in dc so a lot more jobs there

Old 10-13-2012, 01:04 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,848,519 times
Huntsville, Texas (about 70 miles north of Houston) is covered in prisons. It is where the headquarters for the Texas Department of Corrections is located and where executions take place. There are seven or eight different prison units in the city and directly outside of town.

I'm sure you could find a job at one of these prisons with a criminal justice degree and work your way up from assistant deputy warden -> deputy warden and if you're lucky, warden. If you make it to the top, you'll be in the $100k area.

Last edited by statisticsnerd; 10-13-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 04:19 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,625,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
false
what u mean if i dont receive the job in the field, of course ill receive the job in the field, thats what im goin to school for, thas wat i got internships for, thats wat i got my career services for, and im goin to john jay, which is like the best school for that given its specific focus and unique location with a huge number of LE agencies nearby, thas like saying if u wan be an architect for example, but wat if u dont find a job in that field, you should study civil engineering or chemistry lol
if u look at it from this kinda perspective then psychology is worthless too and im not even interested in it so mite as well study accounting, math or whateva, but IM NOT GONNA WORK IN THOSE FIELDS, and i wanna do wat i wanna do so y study someth i dont like, i will be doin someth cj related so i should study cj, and its not worthless cuz a lot of govt jobs ask for cj degree, esp probation, it mite be worthless to you cuz they dont have enough jobs for that where u live, it doesnt mean its worthless for erybody else

Ah FALSE...I have a Masters degree in Psychology and used to work with Police. I also have family members that are police officers as well as FBI..NONE have CJ degrees..

If you decide to become a police offcer you will go through the academy which will train you..you do not need a CJ degree.
Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 10-13-2012 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: removed personal comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.