Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:32 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,787,013 times

Advertisements

Personally, I have noticed a gradual increase in job postings locally.

Another thing I've noticed as well is a gradual increase in pay for these jobs as well.

So the auto bailout money from Obama is finally trickling down after 4 long/hard years.

But like I said, it's very gradual. Things certainly aren't improving by leaps and bounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 PM

12,335 posts, read 17,217,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Personally, I have noticed a gradual increase in job postings locally.

Another thing I've noticed as well is a gradual increase in pay for these jobs as well.

So the auto bailout money from Obama is finally trickling down after 4 long/hard years.

But like I said, it's very gradual.
Things certainly aren't improving by leaps and bounds.
It is. Myself personally have been seeing people get jobs. Many companies are paying less nowadays however because it is more of an employer's market but there are things out there.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM

30,003 posts, read 25,137,819 times
It's been realtively stable in my line of work. Probably something of a labor shortage. I've even seen companies hiring the not so desirable candidates out of desperation, and some are training younger folks. When the work slows down, they just have them clean and do maintenance work, which is a sign that companies do not want to lose their limited skilled workers. Give it a few years, these companies will be dealing with a labor shortage with regards to many higher skilled positions because companies got used to not having to train. Seems China is hitting that recession I've been predicting for a few years now... Gonna be funny to see how they like it

At my company, we are booked far beyond X-mas. Many are working 12 hours a day. We try to hire, but there is no one around. Our customers would like to go elsewhere to get some work done, but so many companies have left the business over the years. We would like to expand, but banks aren't lending, and the owner doesn't trust the market to take the risk. The system is very damaged. We all could be doing much better, but the government completely damaged the business environment. Everyone is going to have to suffer until things can naturally correct themselves.

As for low skilled, retail, everything else... It's probably going to be a bloodbath for at least a couple more years. Simply too many available workers for the jobs available today, and consumer confidence is in the toilet.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's been realtively stable in my line of work. Probably something of a labor shortage. I've even seen companies hiring the not so desirable candidates out of desperation, and some are training younger folks. Give it a few years, these companies will be dealing with a labor shortage with regards to many higher skilled positions because companies got used to not having to train. Seems China is hitting that recession I've been predicting for a few years now... Gonna be funny to see how they like it
I'm not surprised.

The low consumer demand in America had to drag them down eventually, though they were never doing all that great anyway.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not surprised.

The low consumer demand in America had to drag them down eventually, though they were never doing all that great anyway.
Their workforce and consumer base outnumbers ours, but they are not paid well enough to consume on our level. They work 12 hours a day to afford the same living space I afford on 8 hours a day. Their discretionary income is used to purchase various grades of food. They cannot produce products without a strong consumer base to buy them. Their system is collapsing, as well as their bloated RE market and everything else that is needed to support a strong economy. They will load up on govt debt the same way Japan did, and likely suffer a similar fate... 20 year long recession, no matter how they skew the numbers. America will be the best house in the worse neighborhood as a result. Cheaper labor costs than much of Europe, a still intact consumer base, and social policies that help to hold the economy together in one form or another. Life is going to suck for many, but not nearly as much as the massive number of Chinese returning to the rice paddies. For all the problems we have in this country, we still have a very diverse economy and much to be thankful for. Let's just hope the government doesn't completely destroy what's left...

Old 10-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Thing is, like with Japan, they'll just find a new country to move everything to, until the standard of living in America (cost of business) matches what it is in the developing/undeveloped world.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:40 PM

But to focus on the short-term positive news, I am finally noticing things are starting to slowly improve across the board.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,034,371 times
It does seem a tad better. it may be more than offset by EU economic issues very soon, though.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Thing is, like with Japan, they'll just find a new country to move everything to, until the standard of living in America (cost of business) matches what it is in the developing/undeveloped world.

Or a robot take the job. "They" can't just ship the work off to the cheapest labor country. That requires infrastructure, trained and skilled workers, as well as robust demand. They can't simply produce product to no end if there are no buyers. The business environment today is far to complex

Old 10-14-2012, 04:34 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,034,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Or a robot take the job. "They" can't just ship the work off to the cheapest labor country. That requires infrastructure, trained and skilled workers, as well as robust demand. They can't simply produce product to no end if there are no buyers. The business environment today is far to complex
HUH?? China already offshores stuff to cheaper Asian neighbors occasionally. Most of Asia is busy making stuff in ways we would call primitive, because labor is so cheap, robots are not worth the investment expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment