Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:01 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,165,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
It's got nothing to do with the level of intelligence. I don't know where you came from with that. I'm simply saying if you're going to school to essentially be credentialed for work, realize that most degrees don't qualify or prepare you to do anything. That a degree is simply a representation of the education you received, and that not all education is equally valuable in the workplace.

We need to stop telling people that college at all cost, regardless of major, is all that matters. Major in what you want it's all good. That's not true. You need tangible job skills. Very, very few majors actually provide those.

Why you decided to come in and be an elitist snob and insult people's intelligence is beyond me.
oh yea i forgot everyone is above average intelligence

its not the individual's fault, though. its the fault of government backed lending. if academics is not your strong suit then you need to explore other skills and talents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 02:21 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,209 times
I never said everyone is above average intelligence, that doesn't even make sense, if everyone is above...nevermind. Calling people stupid and trying to draw some line in the sand that if you're not in college it means you're of below average intelligence is some seriously elitist thinking.

All I said was that college is very ineffective for providing people with skills needed for the workplace. That for employment purposes, people would be better served with on the job training over formal education. That has nothing to do with intelligence level. Unless you're majoring in something professional that wouldn't really work with on the job training, college is a pretty ineffective, time consuming, insanely expensive method of creating productive people.

I feel experience is the best teacher, not textbooks, and really, so do professional majors. They've got equal parts hands on and textbook knowledge, but it's always focused on the job.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:25 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,165,463 times
Quote:
I never said everyone is above average intelligence, that doesn't even make sense, if everyone is above...nevermind. Calling people stupid and trying to draw some line in the sand that if you're not in college it means you're of below average intelligence is some seriously elitist thinking.

All I said was that college is very ineffective for providing people with skills needed for the workplace. That for employment purposes, people would be better served with on the job training over formal education. That has nothing to do with intelligence level. Unless you're majoring in something professional that wouldn't really work with on the job training, college is a pretty ineffective, time consuming, insanely expensive method of creating productive people.

I feel experience is the best teacher, not textbooks, and really, so do professional majors. They've got equal parts hands on and textbook knowledge, but it's always focused on the job.
sarcasm...

the point wasnt to call anyone stupid. the point was that college wasn't designed for the average or below average student (most are just average...not stupid). now that the latter are being pushed to go to college, they aren't really benefiting from it. they would do better developing other skills.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:37 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,209 times
I just can't get over how condescending you come off. It's like, do you really not see it as you post?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:41 PM

380 posts, read 1,156,207 times
Deleted post.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
sarcasm...

the point wasnt to call anyone stupid. the point was that college wasn't designed for the average or below average student (most are just average...not stupid). now that the latter are being pushed to go to college, they aren't really benefiting from it. they would do better developing other skills.
The thing is college can be a bad investment even for an above average student, if, they don't major in something that will lead to a job. You can be Einstein, but, if you major in English or Art History you, most likely, will struggle finding employment. Or maybe you get a useful degree and do well in your major, but, don't do any internships, most likely, you will struggle finding a job.

IMO, whether you are above average or below average intelligence doesn't determine your success after college. It's having a useful major coupled with activities you participated in in college and getting career related experience thru internships while in college that make all the difference.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:13 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Misery loves company.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:20 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
IMO, whether you are above average or below average intelligence doesn't determine your success after college. It's having a useful major coupled with activities you participated in in college and getting career related experience thru internships while in college that make all the difference.
Well, I would disagree with you here. I believe it is the overall intelligence coupled with work ethic that ultimately determines one's prospects of success. Moreover, I would suggest that would have a greater influence than any college degree or time spent in a lecture hall. College can open doors, but the individual still has to walk through and face the challenge on the other side.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,912 times
Quote:
The approach everyone seems to be taking is we need more college graduates, studying things totally unrelated to the work force. You know this term, know who that person is, but you're unfamiliar with how to actually DO anything. If all you have is a college degree that isn't in a professional major like nursing which has hands on training, you don't know how to do anything. If you've never held a job, just went to school, you have no actual tangible job skills.

What we need is more job-training. It's focused, you learn the job, not a textbook, and it's far more efficient.

Makes me wonder why people think just having a degree makes you underemployed. You're underemployed when you have a skillset that isn't being used because you can't find the job. An electrician working at walmart is underemployed. He has skills that he isn't using. If all you have is a degree, what exactly did that Business Degree show you how to DO?

That's just my opinion. We need more job training. It's cheaper, it's faster, and it actually works. The only place you're gonna learn how to work in the office of some construction company, is AT a construction company. There is no major for that, just the job.

We've got companies who complain all day that they can't find skilled employers, and it's like, all the skilled employers are skilled because they are working. The next generation of workers are going to be seriously out of luck since they can't get their foot in the door unless you know someone. They want such specific skills, they want you to be proficient with software that is exclusive to whatever industry that company is involved in. Software that doesn't exist on any personal computer EVER. Why would it? Why would software related to, I dunno, a car dealership be on someone's computer unless they work at a car dealership?

But that's what they want, and they expect everyone to come in the door with that experience. Well again, those people are working. You're paying entry level wages but expecting experienced people to come in. If you pay entry level wages, expect entry level applicants.
I agree with you on what you have said here. I want to add that the economy needs to move more towards manufacturing and its supporting industries. Granted, I don't expect a whole lot of stuff to be remade in the USA again but I don't see how it can't regain some of those industries.

A lot of employers also want the Superman type employee who shows up in a suit and tie with a Masters Degree for $400-500/week. Wages have been watering down for probably a few decades overall.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Well, I would disagree with you here. I believe it is the overall intelligence coupled with work ethic that ultimately determines one's prospects of success. Moreover, I would suggest that would have a greater influence than any college degree or time spent in a lecture hall. College can open doors, but the individual still has to walk through and face the challenge on the other side.
I would argue that if the individual is participating in campus organizations, completing internships, and graduating with a degree, then, they are "walking through the door" as you put it. I don't believe it takes above average intelligence to do the things I listed successfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment