Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many times have you been laid off/ fired
Never 26 29.21%
1 time 18 20.22%
2-3 times 25 28.09%
>3 times 20 22.47%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:29 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,127 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how many people here have been let go from jobs with or without cause? How has it affected your career (has it put it in disarray, much harder to get back, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 02:54 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
I was wondering how many people here have been let go from jobs with or without cause? How has it affected your career (has it put it in disarray, much harder to get back, etc.)?
Never laid off but was fired twice and both times it was the best thing that could have happened to me.

Best way to look at it when you are fired is it isn't you, it's them! Got it? They are the idiots and that is how you look at it.

The first time I was fired it was a district manager that did the deed to cover for his son who screwed up, blamed me and there you go. So I saw it coming so not a huge surprise.

Got fired mid morning and by noon I had my own business cards all printed up and ready to go and I immediately started to visit customers I had visited the day before. My manager got all upset, called me whereupon I told him to bugger off... he babbled something about a non compete clause.... I told him I wasn't paid for the non-compete clause which made its value something to wipe with after he buggered himself off.

From here the conversation slid downhill. We started to get personal and I loved every minute of it.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years when they went bankrupt (their management was so screwed up I knew it was just a matter of time) and I went to the bankruptcy sale. The now unemployed district manager was there but wouldn't make eye contact. I made it known I wanted only one thing at the action, I wanted the leather swivel chair that idiot district manager was sitting on when he fired me. I hovered around that chair whereupon the unemployed loser district manager flaked off to another corner of the building. I don't know how high I would have gone, I think I paid around $150 for the chair, but it scares me today because the mindset I was in, and business was doing really well, I honestly think I would have gone to $5,000 and possibly higher if that unemployed, not to mention broke, district manger would have bid against me. All I wanted was that chair and I got it. After over two decades I still have it. Very comfortable chair. Ragged looking but comfortable.

Oh, and I did check with a lawyer about the non-compete clause I signed. In that state they can only be enforced if something of value, of value besides a salary job, was given to me. Without something of value they are worth about a roll of toilet paper but if say they had given me $20,000 to sign the non-compete then I would have been in trouble.

Today the old district manager is in his mid 70's working at the local VFW hall as night janitor to make ends meet.

Some advice to those that are fired. Do not take it personal, taking it personal is the worst thing you can do because remember, it isn't you it is them. Once the ahole fires you remember you are then equal, out the door goes the "boss and underling" schtick so look at him square in the eyes and remember the idiot who fired you is no better than you are. Look at it as an opportunity to do something different.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:02 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Laid off short and long term numerous tmes when working for private industry in manufacturing, switched to railroad. Went to the Navy, came back after being DQ'ed from Flight School for medical reasons. Returned to railroad which almost immediately fired/laid me off (they didn't like the recommendations they had originally hired me to make. Company subsequently went bankrupt and abandoned the rights of way). Did not have a job from late summer of 1982 to early 1984 when I was hired to teach in MD. Moved here from PA. A note: Unemployment then was usually 26 weeks with the possibility of no more than two 13 week extensions if your job had moved overseas. Railroad Unemployment was a flat $25/day ($125/week).

The above is why I get kind of testy when younger people today tell me I don't understand what they're going through.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:04 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,023 times
Once(laid off, boss called me back months later to work), no twice actually but the 2nd time was a temp position. If I stepped up to the plate I would of probably got hired on and not let go though. Probably came close a couple times to getting fired. I think I don't make good first impressions sometimes but with time my employer realizes I'm one of the best. Like one employer tried to edge me out my position first couple months of working for the company and a couple years later I was about to quit and got a well deserved raise.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
One and it ended my engineering career. I'm teaching chemistry and math now.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
I have been laid off twice and fired once. After I got fired, it was extremely difficult to find work. They will tell future employers that are you not eligible for rehire. After each layoff, I got a huge raise at the next job. Layoffs have no impact, since you leave in good standing.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:38 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,494 times
Professionally (jobs after college) - never.
BS jobs in high school/college - once.

I don't want to say it wasn't my fault, but at that one job, if you work 8 hours, they automatically take an hour out for lunch even if you don't clock out. I worked on the other side of the building and walking to the clock and back took like 5-10 minutes, so yeah, I never clocked out for lunch since they'd do it anyways. Well one time I went to lunch across the highway (drove since it was not pedestrian friendly) and my car broke down in a bad spot. Came back and they told me I'm fired for being gone on the clock. Didn't really care as it was the week before I was going back to school, so, lol, no biggie. I kinda wish I fought it a bit so it wasn't on my record as being fired, but that was over 10 years ago. If that happened recently, I'd probably feel some affect from it since my job is very serious with background checks.

Also, one of the guys I was working with at that job was apparently stealing big time. I was probably assumed guilty by association as well, so not surprising I was let go.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:45 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Never been let go in any form from a job. Had only 2 since the late 90's. The last one the company was closing down and I left before they shut down for good. I do not get over confident though. I keep the resume updated and have contacts if I need them. You never know when a company will change management, shut down or you just run into a situation you cannot forsee.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:04 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Twice. It made me rethink my profession. Went to college for awhile and tried nursing school, but ended up going back to my old profession because I don't really want to do anything else. Been pretty darn stable these past few years so hopefully that's a good sign.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:26 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,045 times
I've been laid off once. It didn't take me very long to find an equivalent position. In fact, my severance pay was for longer than my period of unemployment, so actually I made money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment