Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,866,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
C-level executives.

Yeah, they may travel and talk a lot to other C-level Executives, but otherwise they delegate a lot of their work to the Executive Assistants.
I've personally dealt with C-level executives and their jobs are beyond stressful. The guys at the top don't just chill out on the golf course all day and drink martinis while their peons do all of the work like you might think. They put in long hours and are always stressed out. You have no idea what it takes to manage a large corporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,786,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've personally dealt with C-level executives and their jobs are beyond stressful. The guys at the top don't just chill out on the golf course all day and drink martinis while their peons do all of the work like you might think. They put in long hours and are always stressed out. You have no idea what it takes to manage a large corporation.
Like the last thread, you still haven't convince me that what I said C-level executives do isn't actually the case.

Below is the average day of a CEO of an IT firm in Minneapolis...

An average day of CEO Sabin Ephrem - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind reading emails and talking to people all day either if I'm making 6, 7 or 8-figures. I don't have any kids or a spouse either, so I wouldn't mind traveling either. If their job was truly stressing them out, they wouldn't have accepted the position as a C-level Executive.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 AM

244 posts, read 391,450 times
Quote:
True. You should look at before and after photos of presidents. They visibly age quite a bit after 4 or 8 years of campaigning, constantly being put down and attacked by everybody, and making some of the most stressful decisions imaginable. Having the well-being of the United States on your shoulders would make any normal person go insane.

Least the ones that really care about their job...look at clinton, he looks damn near the same.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,453,680 times
Quote:
True. You should look at before and after photos of presidents. They visibly age quite a bit after 4 or 8 years of campaigning, constantly being put down and attacked by everybody, and making some of the most stressful decisions imaginable. Having the well-being of the United States on your shoulders would make any normal person go insane.
Right - it's a big change from being totally focused on one's own political career. Damn these pesky national needs! So much pressure!

Old 11-03-2012, 11:43 AM

47,091 posts, read 26,210,653 times
Quote:
Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind reading emails and talking to people all day either if I'm making 6, 7 or 8-figures. I don't have any kids or a spouse either, so I wouldn't mind traveling either. If their job was truly stressing them out, they wouldn't have accepted the position as a C-level Executive.
You might as well argue that officers have it easy because they don't have to dig foxholes. It's true, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Tackling the sort of responsibility that determines the continued existence of your unit (or, for a civilian exec, company or department) is not for everyone. Doing it well is really goddamn hard. I am not anywhere near C-level responsibility, thank God, but I still have to make a case for my budget and head count - and if I have an off day in the wrong meeting, my team won't get the funding, won't be successful, won't get the raises and promotions and opportunities they deserve. And that's on me, and I only have a small team of engineers to worry about. The CIO has hundreds. The CEO, thousands. Good execs are godsends, and rare, and work pretty damn hard. (Mediocre ones are as common as dirt, of course.)

Old 11-03-2012, 11:46 AM

47,091 posts, read 26,210,653 times
I forgot to add a low-intensity job, so: Computer network operations, particularly night or graveyard shifts, can be very quiet for days on end. Sadly, these days, they tend to go overseas. And you do have to be ready to work quickly and competently if stuff starts breaking.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:28 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,890,524 times
Subway operator.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:43 PM

6,609 posts, read 11,367,472 times
Quote:
Like the last thread, you still haven't convince me that what I said C-level executives do isn't actually the case.

Below is the average day of a CEO of an IT firm in Minneapolis...

An average day of CEO Sabin Ephrem - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

At that level, its not what you do in terms of physical work - its the decisions and strategies that you make - which impact an entire division or even the entire organization. Its also the accountability that you have for things that you have no direct control over. Take example the link you provided, they had a 750k potential business that ended up being a 60k potential business. Let say you are a c-level executive in a similar situation, and now may have to lay off 5 employees unless you can come up with a contingency plan. You think having the livelihood of five families on your next few decisions is something that doesn't require much work?

Old 11-03-2012, 05:48 PM

26,204 posts, read 22,377,548 times
As a mother of an adult son with special needs, I would encourage all of those looking for a job that doesn't require much work to look elsewhere. It is not an easy job and the turnover is very high. Generally, when you start out, you won't be working with the higher functioning individuals either. So, please, for the benefit of both sides of this, don't choose working with people with special needs if you looking for a "walk in the park".

Old 11-03-2012, 05:52 PM

19,985 posts, read 30,395,343 times
A nutritionist at mcdonalds

if a job requires little,,then you can be easily replaceable.. or disposed of

the guys on the road construction crews holding the stop/slow signs...I use to think would be an easy job...but i wouldnt want it=what a boring monotonous job!!

even they are being replaced by timed lights....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment