Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 AM

4,257 posts, read 4,791,204 times

Advertisements

Warning: random vent ahead:

Maybe it's just cuz it's a Monday (I doubt it)...but I just can't get motivated today.

Maybe it's because I've been doing the same thing for 7 years and I'm bored. Maybe it's my depression. Or perhaps I'm just lazy (I doubt it). I think it's moreso because I'm not using my talents enough and not working in something that fulfills my creative side.

For those of you who can relate, I'm an INFP: an idealist...a dreamer...I give myself credit for remaining in the same industry for 7 years because if I gave in to my desires, I'd be job hopping ALL over the place.

Maybe I just need someone to tell me to "snap out of it"..."you've got bills to pay, so stop complaining about not being 'happy' at your job"...or "you just need to be grateful you're employed and making a decent living"...but I tell myself these things all the time.

*sigh*

What to do when you seriously can't get motivated to get all of your work done and are you're having a "I wish I was doing something else" moment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,629,197 times
A visit to the Indian slum will immediately cure your motivation problem.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:44 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,083,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Warning: random vent ahead:

Maybe it's just cuz it's a Monday (I doubt it)...but I just can't get motivated today.

Maybe it's because I've been doing the same thing for 7 years and I'm bored. Maybe it's my depression. Or perhaps I'm just lazy (I doubt it). I think it's moreso because I'm not using my talents enough and not working in something that fulfills my creative side.

For those of you who can relate, I'm an INFP: an idealist...a dreamer...I give myself credit for remaining in the same industry for 7 years because if I gave in to my desires, I'd be job hopping ALL over the place.

Maybe I just need someone to tell me to "snap out of it"..."you've got bills to pay, so stop complaining about not being 'happy' at your job"...or "you just need to be grateful you're employed and making a decent living"...but I tell myself these things all the time.

*sigh*

What to do when you seriously can't get motivated to get all of your work done and are you're having a "I wish I was doing something else" moment?
me too, all of it!

Wish I could figure out what to do with the rest of my life that doesn't involve 8 hours sitting in some cubicle. To INFPs it is simply torture. Of course I am surrounded by non-INFPs who constantly say things like "That's why they call it WORK" and "Nobody likes their job, get used to it"...while I seethe at the audacity of these comments. All that keeps going through my mind is "There HAS to be more to life's work than THIS!" Notice I didn't say 'more to life' I KNOW there is more to life, I am talking about what you decide to do for your work.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,793,932 times
Sounds like your work life balance is out of whack. Every job gets boring. You need to find something to do outside of work that stimulates you enough, so that you can't wait to get out of work to get to it...maybe. Another option is to take a couple of courses to increase your potential for a promotion. Also....maybe you're just having a seven year itch. Hell, it could be a number of things. If you need the shock value trying sleeping in the backyard for a couple of days and just eat ramen. Your life will seem ultra sweet in comparison.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 PM

12,335 posts, read 17,202,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Sounds like your work life balance is out of whack. Every job gets boring. You need to find something to do outside of work that stimulates you enough, so that you can't wait to get out of work to get to it...maybe. Another option is to take a couple of courses to increase your potential for a promotion. Also....maybe you're just having a seven year itch. Hell, it could be a number of things. If you need the shock value trying sleeping in the backyard for a couple of days and just eat ramen. Your life will seem ultra sweet in comparison.
I agree, And great advice here. Your job not only pays your bills but likely helps fund your interests and activities. Sit down and think about what interests you, be it a sport or hobby and start exploring it tomorrow. As for work, Ask for more responsibility, take courses to improve skills etc. Having a steady income and being at a place long term is a good feeling to have indeed. If work still does not seem to stimulate you in the future look for something that, again, really interests you. You clearly have stability and are a valuable employee hence your long term status-You are in good shape to begin with.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
me too, all of it!

Wish I could figure out what to do with the rest of my life that doesn't involve 8 hours sitting in some cubicle. To INFPs it is simply torture. Of course I am surrounded by non-INFPs who constantly say things like "That's why they call it WORK" and "Nobody likes their job, get used to it"...while I seethe at the audacity of these comments. All that keeps going through my mind is "There HAS to be more to life's work than THIS!" Notice I didn't say 'more to life' I KNOW there is more to life, I am talking about what you decide to do for your work.
Maybe it's an INFP thing?

It helps to know others can relate...

Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Yea, my work/life balance probably 'is' out of whack. It's probably a combination of factors.

I might need a mental day off at some point soon...

My favorite hobby is photography, but since I just moved and sold my camera I've been trying to stick to being 'practical' and hence haven't bought a new camera or shot in a long time since I'm trying to stick to a budget. Not really excited to do anything else....

Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree, And great advice here. Your job not only pays your bills but likely helps fund your interests and activities. Sit down and think about what interests you, be it a sport or hobby and start exploring it tomorrow. As for work, Ask for more responsibility, take courses to improve skills etc. Having a steady income and being at a place long term is a good feeling to have indeed. If work still does not seem to stimulate you in the future look for something that, again, really interests you. You clearly have stability and are a valuable employee hence your long term status-You are in good shape to begin with.
Thanks...I'm planning on taking the GRE in the winter and applying to grad school for next summer...

Old 11-05-2012, 01:55 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,729,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
For those of you who can relate, I'm an INFP: an idealist...a dreamer...
OMG I didn't know there was a term for this! I googled INFP and everything said explains me to a tee!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,793,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
OMG I didn't know there was a term for this! I googled INFP and everything said explains me to a tee!
You should really take the actual Myers-Briggs test for a more accurate result. I remember taking it in college but I can't remember if I was an INFP or an ISFP. Oh well. Life goes on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment