Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 05:34 PM

60 posts, read 166,515 times

Advertisements

I have such a weak ego that I couldn't think of a better way to start this thread than by making up excuses. These 'excuses' are based on reality but they are excuses nonetheless.

The first excuse is that I am a mentally defective person.

The second excuse is that this wasn't discovered until last year.

But even though it wasn't known until last year that I am mentally defective, I think that many people already guessed it.

I was picked on in high school, ridiculed, disliked by many classmates and even by some teachers. All because I was an A student who did not play the role he was expected to play. Some people apparently couldn't comprehend how a person like me could be an A student and took the anger caused by their cognitive dissonance out on me.

To my credit I'll mention that in spite of all the psychological abuse I took in high school I managed to get accepted to a decent school. Not a Harvard by any means, but the kind of school that is full of ivy league rejects who were too good for a state school.

In college I sort of became less of a "freak show" but never became quite "normal". I had almost no friends. The only person who was sort of a real friend to me was my roommate, but with his obsessive desire to help fix the problem that I couldn't see I quickly realized that the best course of action was to get him out of my life, lest he'd one day lower my quality of life past the point of no return.

Graduated from college, with honors. Couldn't find a job. Went to the career center and instead of being helped was ridiculed for not doing extracurriculars. I now understand that the reason I didn't do extracurriculars is because I went to a university where the majority of the student body was nothing like me and because my mental illness made it nearly impossible for me to interact with those people in a manner that wouldn't exacerbate the symptoms of my mental illness. As to why I didn't psychologically torture myself and do extracurricular activities anyway? Because I already had plenty of stressors in my life and the last thing I wanted was more.

Don't tell me that I sound like a person with Asperger's. The people who are supposed to know who has it and who doesn't have told me that I don't have it. What I have been diagnosed with is attention deficit disorder, and that wasn't until last year.

Then after some time unemployed I found a job that I hated even before hired, but I figured that I had to pay my dues and took it. A few years later got fired from that same job due to apathy on my part. I've been collecting ever since.

And it looks like even as I approach the 2 year unemployment mark there aren't any prospects of my finding meaningful employment. Not even the many grams of Prozac and Adderall I have taken in the last year have changed my life in any meaningful way.

It doesn't matter that my demeanor and my attitude have changed significantly since I started taking the medications. It doesn't matter that I have taken courses during the past year in order to keep my skill-set up to date.

Employers don't give a crap. They can see there's something wrong with me. The only people who tell me I'm worth a million bucks are my psychiatrist and psychologist. And they also keep asking me how come I still haven't found a job.

I think it's time to get real and forget about everything. Forget about college. Forget about my being an A student. Forget about any illusion I ever had and just find a blue-collar career I can tolerate.

Can someone give me any idea? I mean but how does a former third rate computer programmer go about erasing his past and just getting a blue collar job? How do I spin my resume? What lies do I need to tell? how do I distort the truth?

Last edited by w99w; 02-13-2012 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
If you are ADD, you probably like working with your hands. A skilled trade could be a great idea for you.

If that's not your style, try the tests on this webpage to identify the best career match for you.

Careers and Attention Deficit Disorder

Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
I have my doubts about the sincerity of your posts, but in the event that you are sincere, it's only fair to inform you that ADD isn't the issue. You actually sound like you have deep rooted psychological issues that message board therapy isn't going to help.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I think you can still work a good IT career with ADD. How do you afford your pills and psych visits since you're unemployed? Do you get SSDI?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you are ADD, you probably like working with your hands.
I use my hands to type code but as far as I know I don't like working with my hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I have my doubts about the sincerity of your posts, but in the event that you are sincere,
and why do you doubt it? Is it because I said that I was an A student? Do you by any chance belong to the bandwagon of people who don't believe a person like me could possibly NOT be stupid?

Quote:
it's only fair to inform you that ADD isn't the issue. You actually sound like you have deep rooted psychological issues that message board therapy isn't going to help.
The ADD is at the root of everything. If I hadn't had ADD I wouldn't have been socially 'slow', people never would have been cruel to me, and there would have been nothing for me to end up traumatized with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I think you can still work a good IT career with ADD. How do you afford your pills and psych visits since you're unemployed? Do you get SSDI?
I collect and I have money saved in the bank. The copay for the pills is $40. The rest of the bill is paid by state-subsidized health insurance.

Last edited by w99w; 02-13-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Wow you sound really smart. Good thing there are a lot of stupid blue collar people out there that have some actual life skills and get stuff done. Please, don't come work a blue collar job, stick to your "smart person white collar job". Thanks.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
I would say the first step is to pull your head together. I mean that in the nicest way possible. Maybe go on a vacation or something, find some way to get your head on straight. It sounds like you need it. It is not really possible to make a wise decision when you are feeling that down and out. Get your head cleared, take a break from life and think it all over. Better to take the time to make the right decision now than making a decision impulsively and regretting it for years to come. Go relax on a beach somewhere and think it over. You just finished college, take a breather, no reason to rush into things if you don't have a family to support or anything.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wow you sound really smart. Good thing there are a lot of stupid blue collar people out there that have some actual life skills and get stuff done. Please, don't come work a blue collar job, stick to your "smart person white collar job". Thanks.
judging by your neuroticism I guess you are a blue collar worker yourself.

I personally see nothing wrong with skilled blue collar workers.

at least they are skilled and have something they can sell and that someone is willing to buy.

if you mean blue collar worker like the ones who push carts at the supermarket, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. and that's not to say I will never be in their shoes.

So you misread me when I mentioned blue-collar jobs as a less preferable alternative.

I don't like working with my hands. I am not interested in understanding the way cars work or the way fine furniture is made.

good for you if you have those skills.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:51 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
The answer seems to me you need to start your own business. What do you like to do? Figure out who would buy and how you would sell something you like to do or make. In a couple years you will own your own job and won't have to worry about office politics anymore. But you will have to worry about government politics as it will have a large effect on your new business.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 AM

753 posts, read 1,481,908 times
If depression and ADD/ADHD are your issues, there are other medications out there. The two you are on are the standard first meds doctors tend to throw at these disorders. There are many other meds to try. It doesn't seem that those two are helping you much. Tell this to your doc and ask to try something else. Also try to get to an actual psychiatrist if you can. If you are having biochemical issues, not much else will go right until you get these straightened out. I know this all too well.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment