Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 768 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Im in need of a bit of advice. I will break down my options and ultimately make the decision but just need a bit of clarity.

Background- Im in a Federal contract that will end in Jan 2013 and due to DOD budget cuts, they will negotiate month to month after Jan but nothing is guaranteed. They are also placing bids for an overseas contract but will only be for 6 months. The 6 month overseas contract wont begin until March or April 2013. This will leave me Jan to possibly april without employment. The only plus is the funds will be tax-exempt with full housing and minimal expenses but after 6 months there is no re-upping or extending. Because of the circumstances, I can break my current contract without recourse if I happen to find employment before Jan. Bottom line, there is no long term stability under this contract. Luckily having the advance notice, I sent out applications and I received 2 job offers but for 2 different openings at another company in Maryland.

Now here is the Gamble-

1- stay with this current contract until Jan and pray that I can get another month and or go overseas for 6 months for a quick tax free 25k that I figured I can save after expenses. I would also possibly be able to network with other contractors for more stable employment (but the bid is not guaranteed). If i choose this, there may be a possible 4 month unemployment gap.

2- (the more reasonable) Cut my current contract and take one of the jobs but it will require my family and housing to move across state and immediately. I will take a pay cut but have a company car with potential for growth and even management. They will require me to start within 2 weeks of acceptance.

3- stay with this contract until january to buy time while awaiting BETTER job offers from my submitted applications. From then, I would have saved up more for a smoother move back to Maryland and seek employment. (Not having a job lined up doesn't sit well with me though)

Im thinking #2. That way I will be in Maryland and employed if better job offers come up- but the transition will have so many moving parts with the wife also having to find employment.

any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment