Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times

Advertisements

This isn't my situation but I am evaluating an email to what happened to my friend to know how to give him good advice. I paraphrased it to avoid give away too much info:

If a work place is heavily based on favoritism, where the level of work you're doing, no matter how well, is second to the way you relate to everyone there?

I worked for a job that has a slightly high turnover which the bosses were trying to undo. They hired me and two other co-workers to negotiate outstanding debt with layers over the phone or risk going to trial over the matter. I was pretty good at it and received a raise the first two months there. The second co-worker was average and the last was pretty bad at it. The one that was worst at it got it bad with rude bashing from the other co-workers and the second in command to the owner of the company. She was fired in less than a month.

The average co-worker though went from being an average employee to a really bad one quick. He was losing money for the company by missing court dates, he would go whole weeks with settling cases, and he was just not getting the whole process. He even admitted this openly in weekly meetings and in private ones to the bosses. One day he came in and put in his two weeks because he just did not feel like he could do the job. Instead of accepting his two weeks, the bosses gave him another position that didn't require any calling, quotas or preparation of trial files. All he does is schedule the trials and have over the work to the rest of us. The other girl got the can, but this guy gets almost a promotion? Not only does he get to coast and not worry about getting his butt chewed out if he misses a trial or misses money, he's up for a raise soon, and I am sure he will get it!

He is one of these loveable loser types. Looks exactly like Michael Cera from Superbad, has a kid which makes him look like a struggling dad, has a nice welcoming personality, and is not a bad guy to chat with at all. I thought of him as a cool guy too. But the mercy that was not shown to the last co-worker or to me if I were to ever go downhill.

It's created an awkward environment between us and it's made me re-examine whether I should stick around.

Should he quit and look for another job?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Anyone?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I'd say the company saw what his strengths and weakneses are and found a job for him that he is capable of doing. Being a nice guy doesn't hurt, either. Your friend just need to worry about doing his job well and not worry about the other employees. This, to me, is not an obvious case of favoritism. The person who should have been fired was fired. Your friend also had the sense to turn in his resignation however the boss saw or believes that he has potential or worth to the company, albiet in a different role than he held before.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

It's created an awkward environment between us and it's made me re-examine whether I should stick around.

No, he should look for another job first, and then quit if the new job will be a better situation. Why put up with an awkward environment if another job wouldn't be an awkward environment?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'd say the company saw what his strengths and weakneses are and found a job for him that he is capable of doing. Being a nice guy doesn't hurt, either. Your friend just need to worry about doing his job well and not worry about the other employees. This, to me, is not an obvious case of favoritism. The person who should have been fired was fired. Your friend also had the sense to turn in his resignation however the boss saw or believes that he has potential or worth to the company, albiet in a different role than he held before.

His new position is one that requires him to hand work out to the employees and make sure that they receive them on time. It sounds easy but also pretty meticulous. An attention to detail is required, and the kid already said that he sucks at all aspects of the job.

There were no strenghts that were pointed out. The kid even questioned the bosses as to why they were showing so much favor to him. It's clearly rank favoritism and he was handed the job out of pity.

I am with my friend on this one because I've seen it happen a lot too. They're trusting him with work that requires him to have an extreme attention to detail that if he messes up will cost the company money. On the toss up, I guess they figured that the task is still less stressful than having a quota and he cannot possibly mess up handling a calendar and passing out files. It was clearly out of pity I think too.

It should be noted that the job was created for him. The task was not an official position within the company.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
This isn't my situation but I am evaluating an email to what happened to my friend to know how to give him good advice. I paraphrased it to avoid give away too much info:

If a work place is heavily based on favoritism, where the level of work you're doing, no matter how well, is second to the way you relate to everyone there?

I worked for a job that has a slightly high turnover which the bosses were trying to undo. They hired me and two other co-workers to negotiate outstanding debt with layers over the phone or risk going to trial over the matter. I was pretty good at it and received a raise the first two months there. The second co-worker was average and the last was pretty bad at it. The one that was worst at it got it bad with rude bashing from the other co-workers and the second in command to the owner of the company. She was fired in less than a month.

The average co-worker though went from being an average employee to a really bad one quick. He was losing money for the company by missing court dates, he would go whole weeks with settling cases, and he was just not getting the whole process. He even admitted this openly in weekly meetings and in private ones to the bosses. One day he came in and put in his two weeks because he just did not feel like he could do the job. Instead of accepting his two weeks, the bosses gave him another position that didn't require any calling, quotas or preparation of trial files. All he does is schedule the trials and have over the work to the rest of us. The other girl got the can, but this guy gets almost a promotion? Not only does he get to coast and not worry about getting his butt chewed out if he misses a trial or misses money, he's up for a raise soon, and I am sure he will get it!

He is one of these loveable loser types. Looks exactly like Michael Cera from Superbad, has a kid which makes him look like a struggling dad, has a nice welcoming personality, and is not a bad guy to chat with at all. I thought of him as a cool guy too. But the mercy that was not shown to the last co-worker or to me if I were to ever go downhill.

I have experience that before where a few people are seen to be doing the best work and everyone else is handed the crappy work, ignored, isolated and sidelined -or the work you do is not taken seriously, or there is no support, encouragement or management - just isolation and silence.

It just show you, no matter what you do your always working for yourself - set your own goals, professional standards regardless of crappy management who favour certain people will help you in the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment