Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 02:49 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,762,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
And, quite honestly, if you did pay the full sticker price for your car...and did it with your own money, why does anyone care????

I have a Samsung Galaxy 3S. I LOVE my phone. I paid full price. But I did not borrow the money, nor did it go on a credit card (well, it went on the debit card but that is hardly the same thing as the money was pulled immediately from the account) so why cares???

I drive an economy car and eat at home most nights, as I am not a big fan of eating out and spending a lot in gas, so I have the money to spend in other areas.
Very true!!

My point was just that it wasnt necessarily the "conspicuous consumption" the OP was accusing everyone of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,420,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Very true!!

My point was just that it wasnt necessarily the "conspicuous consumption" the OP was accusing everyone of.
I agree. However, I do not consider buying what you can reasonably afford to be "conspicuous consumption"

Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 AM

30,449 posts, read 23,909,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
People spend money on what pleases them, be it books, antiques, art, pottery, or the latest electronic gadgets. As long as they can afford it, it is not an issue. I don't see buying a phone or a car one can afford as being "over the top." I know two millionaires; they buy what they like. They also think about what they buy before they buy it. They can drop 60K on an SUV and then stop at Target because baked goods are on sale.
This is, I believe, the key difference between actual millionaires and those who put on airs that they are wealthy. I think a lot of people are impulse buyers, (ie: apple products, they sleep on the damn sidewalk to be "the first" to get the product...how is that "thinking about what they buy" before they buy it? That's just "keeping up with the Jones', look at me, I am the first to get this"), and am not impressed with all the gadgets people have.

They can spend their money however they see fit, it's their money...but I think I deflate their bubble a little bit when I don't squeal with delight when they tell me what they have. Who cares! You have a 30 room house...excessive much? Hey, do as you wish with your money but I also have the right to think you're a complete tool for wasting it on things. (General you, not personal you.) After spending so much time in Miami, I know people buy things just to try to impress others...I will never understand that mindset. Who CARES what other people think about what you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment