Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,504,115 times

Advertisements

I think I actually read it in the newspaper. And by the way, just because msnbc isn`t reporting it, doesn`t mean it isn`true.

Last edited by spm62; 11-17-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 PM

29,853 posts, read 24,959,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I think I actually read it in the newspaper. And by the way, just because msnbc isn`t reporting it, doesn`t mean it isn`true.
I'm a conservative thank you

Still have not seen any reputable citations regarding this alleged event.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,391,318 times
This Hostess thing reminds me of Eastern airlines when they were bought and dismantled.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm a conservative thank you

Still have not seen any reputable citations regarding this alleged event.
I never said you weren`t. You can google citations for this event. Whether you find them reputable or not is up to you. I think it originated from a tv station in Alabama or Louisiana where the so called non union workers were from.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
This Hostess thing reminds me of Eastern airlines when they were bought and dismantled.
or twa, pan am, and others. Airlines have been rittled with labor problems for decades. As soon as enough people retire with pensions or there is enough senior people with 300 sick days, 8 weeks of vacation and at the top of the pay scale, the trouble starts. Management just gives in to labor demands for years and kicks the proverbial can down the road, until huge numbers of the workforce reaches the top of the pay scale with all of the vacation, sick time, etc.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,131,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
SWA has the highest pay scales of all passenger carriers, and is also the most heavily unionized. It is also the most profitable.

Secret = good management

Hostess = bad management
SWA is one of the few airlines with no pension. They have a defined contribution plan. They have no risk of pension funding gaps.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,315,383 times
They have their own GREED to "thank" for this; the Unions only tried to PROTECT the employees from the company GREED disorder!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,479,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
SWA is one of the few airlines with no pension. They have a defined contribution plan. They have no risk of pension funding gaps.
There are zero passenger carriers in the US with a pension for employees...management however I do not know.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:40 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,821,028 times
Quote:
There are zero passenger carriers in the US with a pension for employees...management however I do not know.
American still has its pension plans...they are frozen but still exist. There are others.

Virtually all airline contracts have significant concessions upon the part of the employees including the pilots.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 PM

994 posts, read 1,593,831 times
Quote:
I've never understood why working stiffs (99% of the posters on this forum) root against the workers. This company is closing down and selling off its brands and enriching upper management giving them the spoils of the sale while the working folks lose out completely.

In America I notice a trend - no regular folks want anything good to happen to their fellow Americans. No one wants to give someone else a good deal. I've actually heard people tell me they would rather throw the item they are selling IN THE TRASH rather than sell it to me for a couple bucks when they are asking some unreasonable sum of money. "If I can't get $XXX I'm just going to throw it away".

Go to Canada, and you find a completely different attitude.

I don't know WTF is up with America these days but it's getting worse and worse and the backstabbing is getting to epic proportions. Some companies can buck the trend with their culture, but the majority almost encourage it, it seems.
My intuition tells me that quite a few of the posters here aren't 'working stiffs'. They also might be benefiting directly or indirectly from corporate leadership slicing and dicing up companies (AKA corporate minions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment