Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 01:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Let's see some citations for this myth...

But I have to hand it to FOX news... They do know how to ruffle some feathers...
It is not a FOX hallucination. I live on LI. Yes, indeed, IBEW made extortion-like demands to allow non-union out of town workers to come here for a month or so and work. At the height of the outages, approx. 900,000 homes were without power on LI. IBEW did not care. They delayed non-union temporary workers until a higher authority, the American Public Power Authority, forced them to stop. Although the story quotes FL workers, they did this to every single nonunion out of state worker. This is from the actual document they wanted the non-union workers to sign:

Quote:
The assent letter -- if signed -- made out-of-state workers temporary members of the union, who receive Long Island's prevailing wage, regardless of what they received at their home utility. Included in the contract that the temporary union members sign, according to a copy of it provided to Newsday: contribution of 22.5 percent of each employee's gross salary to the IBEW annuity fund; payments of $9.75 an hour to the union's health and welfare fund; 3 percent of their gross salary to the union's "craft division skill improvement fund"; 3 percent of each worker's gross salary to the union's National Electrical Benefit Fund"; and lesser amounts to other funds. Terms of the temporary union status are from Oct. 29 through Nov. 29, according to the contract.
Source: Newsday, LI's largest newspaper

Fla. utility: Union delayed LIPA contract workers
Search Result item
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:31 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,821,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It is not a FOX hallucination. I live on LI. Yes, indeed, IBEW made extortion-like demands to allow non-union out of town workers to come here for a month or so and work. At the height of the outages, approx. 900,000 homes were without power on LI. IBEW did not care. They delayed non-union temporary workers until a higher authority, the American Public Power Authority, forced them to stop. Although the story quotes FL workers, they did this to every single nonunion out of state worker. This is from the actual document they wanted the non-union workers to sign:

Source: Newsday, LI's largest newspaper

Fla. utility: Union delayed LIPA contract workers
Search Result item
Appears the request was from LIPA not the union. Actually makes sense if LIPA had a contract with the union.

Note the article also states that those involved stated no one was denied for failure to agree.

I would also be interested in why Electricians who really wanted to help would refuse over temporary union membership. Were they trying to help or showing the conservative flag?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Appears the request was from LIPA not the union. Actually makes sense if LIPA had a contract with the union.

Note the article also states that those involved stated no one was denied for failure to agree.

I would also be interested in why Electricians who really wanted to help would refuse over temporary union membership. Were they trying to help or showing the conservative flag?
IBEW holds the contract for LIPA electrical workers like linemen that were the most needed in this emergency. IBEW wanted to fill its coffers on the back of this emergency and stick it to LIPA. Look at those terms I quoted on what the workers were expected to pay IBEW out of their wages. That's a lot of money. I don't think it had anything to do with conservatism. The person quoted who said "no one was turned away" was a union official trying to cover their butts. No one was turned away because a higher authority intervened. If a higher authority did not intervene, those contracts were mandatory. I lived it and so did my neighbors. IBEW has issues with LIPA and was also using this as a power play. It would have been preferable to the captive ratepayers like myself if they did not try and take advantage of this emergency and instead ironed out their problems with LIPA at the bargaining table for their next contract. I had no power for 8 days and my area did not have flooding. Thank God for the American Public Power Authority or it would have been a lot longer. The governor of our state is launching an investigation into all of this.

PS: If you look up electrical rates, the people of LI pay among the highest in the nation, yet our service leaves much to be desired. I heard these days it's second only to Hawaii. And look what we get for our money. Bloated upper management who are overpaid and union workers who are living off the fat of the land. Sometimes both sides (management and union) are to blame for the fleecing of America.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 11-18-2012 at 01:57 PM..

Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,642,137 times
Private equity & hedge funds that controlled Hostess didn't live up to their promises to modernize plants and trucks but grew the company's debt while rewarding themselves financially.

This is a Mitt Romney-type deal. Workers fight back, so you blame them for the bankruptcy while enriching yourself.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:09 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,821,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
IBEW holds the contract for LIPA electrical workers like linemen that were the most needed in this emergency. IBEW wanted to fill its coffers on the back of this emergency and stick it to LIPA. Look at those terms I quoted on what the workers were expected to pay IBEW out of their wages. That's a lot of money. I don't think it had anything to do with conservatism. The person quoted who said "no one was turned away" was a union official trying to cover their butts. No one was turned away because a higher authority intervened. If a higher authority did not intervene, those contracts were mandatory. I lived it and so did my neighbors. IBEW has issues with LIPA and was also using this as a power play. It would have been preferable to the captive ratepayers like myself if they did not try and take advantage of this emergency and instead ironed out their problems with LIPA at the bargaining table for their next contract. I had no power for 8 days and my area did not have flooding. Thank God for the American Public Power Authority or it would have been a lot longer. The governor of our state is launching an investigation into all of this.

PS: If you look up electrical rates, the people of LI pay among the highest in the nation, yet our service leaves much to be desired. I heard these days it's second only to Hawaii. And look what we get for our money. Bloated upper management who are overpaid and union workers who are living off the fat of the land. Sometimes both sides (management and union) are to blame for the fleecing of America.
Having had some exposure to the electrical workers unions of NYC I would have presumed that the southern electrical workers would have made a fortune in take home even after the union payments. So they basically were agreeing to take less money so they did not have to be in the union. That is strange.

There was no higher authority. That is simply an industry blanket organization who mediated.

I am certainly not defending LIPA who was reasonably notorious before Sandy. But that has to do with LI politics not unions.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:49 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,501,366 times
Union people are never satisfied and
they always want to complain and vote to go on strike ! ! !

Now what are they going to eat on ( Union Promises ) ? ? ?

Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,402,350 times
The company said, on Wed. that if enough people were not back to work by Thursday night, they would close the company on Friday...yet no one came back. People are aware when they strike they can lose their jobs...

Old 11-18-2012, 03:08 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,479,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
American still has its pension plans...they are frozen but still exist. There are others.

Virtually all airline contracts have significant concessions upon the part of the employees including the pilots.
There are no others for passenger carriers. FedEx and UPS have them but they are profitable companies. American has no more pensions for their employees are are dumping them on the PBGC (ie taxpayer) thru the bankruptcy. They were the last hold out.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:11 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,668,426 times
The union sees the writing on the wall and lets the company go under anyway. Regardless of whatever management did, the union cut off its nose to spite its face. Now they have 18,000 people out of work because they couldn't swallow their pride and get back to work.

Unions are a cancer on this country.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:25 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,402,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
The union sees the writing on the wall and lets the company go under anyway. Regardless of whatever management did, the union cut off its nose to spite its face. Now they have 18,000 people out of work because they couldn't swallow their pride and get back to work.

Unions are a cancer on this country.
Wow...so if your boss cut your pay by 30% while making you pay more for health care and giving himself a raise, you would just happily "swallow your pride and get back to work"?

Sure you would....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment