Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:12 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times

Advertisements

I have been invited to a Holiday party at the firm I will be interning with this Spring before my start date.

I'm flattered they even thought to invite me since I only know them from being recruited from my college and the interview process. I'm generally excited but I have no idea whats expected of me.

As in:

Should I even go? (I'm thinking yes, I probably should and would like to)

How should I dress? (dress code at office seems to veer somewhere between business formal and business casual. It is an accounting firm so people dress conservative. The party will be at a popular upscale bowling/billiards place on a Friday evening)

How should I behave? (friendly, I guess)

Should I bring a date? (I have no idea on this one)

Should I stay near the people I know (interviewers) or should I try to introduce myself to everyone?

I have never been to a work party so I have no idea what to expect, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
To answer your quesitons:

Should I even go? YES

How should I dress? Dress how you would going out to a nice restaurant with your parents.

How should I behave? yes, of course, friendly. If you drink, I would not have more than 1.

Should I bring a date? no, no date. (If you were married, you should bring your spouse.)

Should I stay near the people I know (interviewers) or should I try to introduce myself to everyone? Certainly introduce yourself to as many people as possible.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Go. Find out what the dress code will be. Introduce yourself to others. Don't get boozed up.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
I am a firm believer of not showing up before my start date. Whether or not I am a idiot, it's something they need to find out AFTER I start.

Just send a nice email or make a call to say that you have pre-scheduled plan to be out of town and you really appreciate the invitation.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
I would go.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times
Go and have fun. As others have wisely said, don't get too boozed up, but be social and get to know the other people in the company. Shmooze. Laugh. Dance, if it's that kind of party. Leave a positive impression on everyone there. It is a great opportunity to meet everyone in a more casual atmosphere and make contacts.
Don't pass up this chance.
But don't get blitzed, either.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I would probably go. They made a very nice gesture and it makes sense to accept. I would ask the company for the answers on the dress code and date. No big deal to ask.

Here is the most important part:

DO NOT GET DRUNK AND MAKE AN ASS OUT OF YOURSELF. SERIOUSLY. DON'T DO IT.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am a firm believer of not showing up before my start date. Whether or not I am a idiot, it's something they need to find out AFTER I start.

Just send a nice email or make a call to say that you have pre-scheduled plan to be out of town and you really appreciate the invitation.

Have you been in this situation before?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
I would go. Don't bring a date and don't drink a lot

Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 PM

571 posts, read 1,200,417 times
This happened to me. I was hired for a January start date and was invited to the office party. It was great. So glad I went.

My advice: graciously accept the invite, but let them know that you will only be staying for 30 minutes because you have tickets to go somewhere. Since they know you can't stay long, they will make it a point to introduce you to whomever you'll be working with. Conversation will flow easily, with the holidays, anticipated vacations, etc. After 30 minutes, say your polite goodbyes and tah-dah! You're done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment