Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 AM

6,986 posts, read 7,082,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I think Baldwin. Middle class white suburb.
I don't want to bring race into this discussion, but am only responding because you brought up the issue of race. Baldwin is not a "white" suburb. According to Wikipedia, it is only 39.8% white, so the majority is non-white.

Baldwin, Nassau County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I don't know how old you are and if you have a family, but with your salary you could be living decent in parts of Long Island and most of Queens.
I don't have any kids yet, but I will in the future. My wife wants at least 2 kids, which seems reasonable. Where in Nassau County or Queens would I be able to live in a good school district, with housing large enough to have 2 kids (3 bedrooms) on a civil engineer's salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,161,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I don't want to bring race into this discussion, but am only responding because you brought up the issue of race. Baldwin is not a "white" suburb. According to Wikipedia, it is only 39.8% white, so the majority is non-white.

Baldwin, Nassau County, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't have any kids yet, but I will in the future. My wife wants at least 2 kids, which seems reasonable. Where in Nassau County or Queens would I be able to live in a good school district, with housing large enough to have 2 kids (3 bedrooms) on a civil engineer's salary?
Race wasn't the point. I was just saying it's a decent place. Maybe I chose the wrong words.

Dude. I know what you mean. I'm a civil engineer too. But there's not too many people who do WAY better in terms of salary...

Other engineers do a LITTLE better.

Doctors and pharmacists, and dentists do better, but they had to go through more school.

Some people who work in finance do better, some don't. If you kissed arse, you could be making more scratch too.

Lawyers are struggling right now.

IT is about on par I'd say.

Sure, you may know individuals that make a lot more, but on average, their vocations probably pay the same as Civ E or less.

On average, civil engineers get paid more than average. And usually, salaries reflect area cost of living.

So, I'm not sure what you want me to say?

If you have to support the family all by your lonesome, you might want to look into another career or moving locations. I also know a resident engineer who is married, lives in Queens, has kids, and does fine.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM

6,986 posts, read 7,082,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Race wasn't the point. I was just saying it's a decent place. Maybe I chose the wrong words.
Regardless of whether or not Baldwin is a "decent" place, it's clearly not white. I also don't think it's considered to be a good area. But admittedly, I'd want to learn more about it before completely dismissing it.

Quote:
Dude. I know what you mean. I'm a civil engineer too. But there's not too many people who do WAY better in terms of salary...

Other engineers do a LITTLE better.

Doctors and pharmacists, and dentists do better, but they had to go through more school.
The thing is, I earned a Masters degree from MIT, which was probably more work than a pharmacist would need to get a PharmD, but admittedly less than a doctor or dentist. But I guess your point is that for a pharmacist, the PharmD was required, whereas civil engineers are not currently required to get a Masters degree, and definitely not one from MIT. Getting a Masters from MIT, to be honest, was a waste of my time, since it's completely useless in the industry.

Quote:
Sure, you may know individuals that make a lot more, but on average, their vocations probably pay the same as Civ E or less.
On the Long Island and New York City forums, basically everyone makes more money than I do, and they consider even $100,000 per year to be poverty on Long Island and New York City.

Quote:
On average, civil engineers get paid more than average. And usually, salaries reflect area cost of living.
Not on Long Island and New York City they don't.

Quote:
If you have to support the family all by your lonesome, you might want to look into another career or moving locations. I also know a resident engineer who is married, lives in Queens, has kids, and does fine.
What other career are you suggesting that I could do with a civil engineering degree? Going back to school is not an option. And I really do not want to relocate either.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,161,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

On the Long Island and New York City forums, basically everyone makes more money than I do, and they consider even $100,000 per year to be poverty on Long Island and New York City.
Are you going to listen to every idiot on the internet who says they make $200,000 a year and that a salary under 80K is poverty level in the NYC area, or are you going to draw your conclusions from real people who live in the area?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,308,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post
I'd have to concur with a Private in the Army.. even the whole enlisted side of the armed forces..
When I joined the Army back in 1994, my annual salary as an Private E1 was less than $10,000 a year..
But that doesn't include benefits, which are SIGNIFICANT in the US military.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:33 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,710,226 times
If a Ph.D. student or a Post-Doc is considered a job, then I would say that they are most underpaid in USA. Even after a Ph.D. degree, you have to survive in salary packages as low as 15K in Post Doc and slog as much as 50 hours per week.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:26 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,463,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
My opinion is that there are two classes of professionals. There are those that create real value and those that manipulate perceived value. Production workers, engineers, service professionals, etc. all create real value by designing/producing things, and performing valuable services. The manipulators are people like businessmen, marketers, stock traders etc. These people simply manufacture imaginary value so that the business can profit off of it.

Nearly all value creators are underpaid for their contributions and nearly all value manipulators are overpaid. That's my two cents.

Waow..I am not even sure how long ago this thread was started but I HAD TO resurrect it just to give props to this post. This was perfect...I could have never summarized it so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment