Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM

543 posts, read 1,149,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Was wondering if many people do this and how happy or successful they are after they did.
I originally posted this in the wrong place here... Not trying to double post:

If you have friends now, you'll make new friends. It sounds as though you're very young... Moving to a brand new place (I've done it 6 times) was always a good idea for me.

How did you meet the friends you have? Have you ever met someone just taking a walk, or in a store or waiting in line somewhere? The world is full of friends you just haven't met yet... Better get busy!

That's my take on it. Life is short and the way I look at it is this: If I was 80 years old, looking back on my life... what would I have regretted? Not trying? Not taking advantage of my youth and adventures as yet undiscovered? For me and from what I've read, more people regret Not doing something than doing something.

As far as what would you do when you're not working... well, that's up to you, but you MIGHT make friends at work... or if you join a club or group... It's really only as hard as you make it.

Do you due diligence, check things out before just packing up and going.. (I have done that and it was fine), but now with the internet and so many resources, there is really no reason why you can't have a pretty good idea of area before you get there...

I wish you well and have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 PM

26,692 posts, read 14,639,363 times
A forewarning. It takes at least a year to settle in at the new place. The first year is tough as you would have no friends and no idea where to go even for dinner.

At least give yourself a year before you pack and leave. :-) Obviously, you should move to a place that is better in some way. Better pay, better career, better location, etc.

My current goal is to move to Europe somewhere for a few years. :-)

Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 PM

30,002 posts, read 25,137,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A forewarning. It takes at least a year to settle in at the new place. The first year is tough as you would have no friends and no idea where to go even for dinner.

At least give yourself a year before you pack and leave. :-) Obviously, you should move to a place that is better in some way. Better pay, better career, better location, etc.
I think that depends on the person. When I moved, the first thing I did was hit the bars, restaurants, grocery stores, delis, etc. Didn't take long to make some friends, and they in turn can show you more places to go. Gotta get yourself out there and explore your new dwelling. After all, it is your new home, so best to start laying some tracks

Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 PM

228 posts, read 667,330 times
I do this repeatedly. My last three jobs were all moves to new cities in the Midwest where I knew no one. I have developed a strategy though (partly honed through moves when i was a kid)

1) Join an adult sports group(s) - even better if you can find a new sport to try
2) Be social at work - possibly join work groups (more for work camaraderie)
3) Look for volunteer opportunities
4) Find the local expat group (unique to us as 1/2 is European)

We are gearing up for a 4,000 mile move in the new year that we have planned for over the last 5 years. Where we are currently was always intended to be an interim move of 2-3 years, but even so we have still managed to scrape up some acquaintances and had great fun playing on different sports teams Ironically where we are moving we already have a number of friends (including one of my best friends), but I have already researched sports team options so we can jump right in and make new friends

Old 11-28-2012, 06:12 PM

216 posts, read 450,843 times
Quote:
I just don't get how someone could do it. I mean what would you do with your life when your not working? Just be by yourself all the time? It would be lonely.
When I moved away 10 years ago, I'd have to force myself to be social. I joined a league that did several different fun sports like badminton, dodgeball, volleyball etc. It wasn't competitive, it was just a cool way to meet people.
I would go out to bars and just talk to whomever was at the next stool. I'm not a sports guy but I would watch games and try and comment on what was happening. Even if it was only a couple beers and a burger it was a nice experience.
I also joined an adventure club that did outdoors=y activities like day hikes, mountain biking etc. Good way to meet girls as well, lots of them join clubs like these!
Online dating is meh. It's fun to go out on dates but there is a reason some of them are online - crazies!

Overall you just have to talk to people. You have to force yourself to try and make new friends. Even if it goes nowhere it helps your interaction with other people.

Last edited by telex_610; 11-28-2012 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: spelling yo

Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM

5,990 posts, read 6,836,635 times
Been there, done that. Met lots of new people through work, interests, religious groups. Met the spouse there. Eventually moved back to northeast. Don't be scared - if the opportunity is good, go for it!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM

18,738 posts, read 33,543,933 times
I'd move if I were desperate for a job and there was no hope where I lived and got a decent offer elsewhere.
Moving for college/schooling is cake. You have a built-in structure and place to be, surrounded by like people. I'm always surprised when people don't move away for school if they can afford to.
It certainly is more appealing when you're younger, that's for sure. But I think I'd be happy to have left south Jersey for anywhere no matter when I did it.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,918,496 times
Quote:
Was wondering if many people do this and how happy or successful they are after they did.
I did -- I moved 2000 miles from home and didn't know a soul. I've been very happy and successful after I did this -- in fact I'm still living here.

Your "friends" don't have to be only those people you knew as a child and grew up with, you can make friends everywhere you go.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,918,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

My current goal is to move to Europe somewhere for a few years. :-)
That wasn't my experience. Even living in a foreign country didn't take a year to settle in when I did it.

If you move for a job, you're going to have co-workers pretty much right off the bat. Then there is church and you certainly start seeing the same faces over and over there. And whatever you do for activities -- going to a gym, riding horses, other sports, you're going to start having acquaintances and then friends quickly.

I think it's more like 3 months before you start feeling settled in.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,992,552 times
Quote:
I just don't get how someone could do it. I mean your what would you do with life when your not working? Just be by yourself all the time? It would be lonely.
1) explore the area and discover interesting things and places
2) make new friends and establish new contacts
3) enjoy your own company, same as you would if you stayed in the same place your whole life

It's a big world out there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment