Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM

23 posts, read 66,433 times

Advertisements

I haven't been this depressed in a long time. I've been employed part time since August. Before that, I was unemployed for several months. So I'm in a better position now than I was before, but somehow that doesn't make me feel better. As a result of the unemployment, I had to declare bankruptcy. So I don't have a car. Right now I'm getting rides from my mom and boyfriend to work. I've been applying for jobs everywhere but I'm having a hard time finding a place that will hire me when I already work part time somewhere else. And a full time job? Good luck finding one of those around here...

On some level I know that things will get better. But every day I can feel the resentment from my boyfriend & family. I don't blame them. I give them gas money and thank them profusely but that's only worth so much. I'm worried my dad will kick me out soon if I don't pay him rent. I only bring in enough money to pay for my phone, internet, food and what I give them for driving me. So saving up for a new car is impossible. Even if I do get a second job, I have no idea how I'll get there. It's hard enough finding a ride to one.

What would you do in my position? How do you keep yourself optimistic when things seem so bleak? I'm worried that being sad about it is going to hold me back even more. I've suffered from depression & anxiety since I was a kid and I've got to say this is one of the lowest points in my life. I don't know how to get out of this situation. The only thing holding me back from being a stripper for a few weeks is that I wouldn't have a way there. The worst part is that I made more $/hr working at Wal-Mart in high school than I'm making now. It's pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 12:04 PM

212 posts, read 1,006,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicFox View Post
I haven't been this depressed in a long time. I've been employed part time since August. Before that, I was unemployed for several months. So I'm in a better position now than I was before, but somehow that doesn't make me feel better. As a result of the unemployment, I had to declare bankruptcy. So I don't have a car. Right now I'm getting rides from my mom and boyfriend to work. I've been applying for jobs everywhere but I'm having a hard time finding a place that will hire me when I already work part time somewhere else. And a full time job? Good luck finding one of those around here...
I understand what you're going through, I've been unemployed since July. However, I willingly left my job! I was miserable there and had some personal issues to sort out. Now I am job searching again and I'm shocked at how long it's taking. Even jobs I am overqualified for are hard to get, I feel that I am getting passed up for younger college grads. Ironically, I don't feel regret for leaving my job but at the same time I am going through horrible depression. Multiple times a day I go through crying and freak-out fits. I was hoping to be employed before the new year, but that's probably not going to happen.

My advice to you is to hang in there. I know it's hard, but you gotta do it. I keep telling myself that I will find a job, I know it will happen, I just don't know when.

Do you have good public transportation where you live? Maybe you can look for jobs along a convenient bus route. Don't rule out anything - retail, waitressing, etc - find something that will allow you to save up. Then you can buy a car and look for something more substantial. Best of luck!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,817,577 times
The agencies are out in full force abusing the employers market a new one pops up every other day. Beware of them they use a system that uses job numbers put out by companies so like 6 different agencies can be sending people to the same company for the same exact job. They send you to interviews even if they know you're a long shot for the job and a lot of time their job descriptions are wrong.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,028,858 times
What helped me is prayer and meditation, meditation kept my sanity, prayed kept me hopeful.

I will say that after 5 months of not being employed I am starting part time, but I have 2 other interested parties as well. I've been thankful and continued to pray. Not only praying in asking for more, but giving thanks for all the blessings I have so far.

Is there a bus system where you live? It's a pain but it would take stress off others, as for your dad, how about in lieu of rent you do chores? Do all the cleaning and cooking? That way you are contributing in that way, even offer to do laundry, yard work, etc, anything you can to help compensate for not being able to pay. That's how I'm "paying" my mom. I cook meals, I clean, I run her errands, I even make her lunch to take to school (she's re-enrolled) so while I don't pay she appreciates it. I left a few days to go see my sister and for an interview and when she came back she said she missed me and meals!

*hugs* keep your chin up, ask for more hours if you can.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I understand what you're going through, I've been unemployed since July. However, I willingly left my job! I was miserable there and had some personal issues to sort out. Now I am job searching again and I'm shocked at how long it's taking. Even jobs I am overqualified for are hard to get, I feel that I am getting passed up for younger college grads. Ironically, I don't feel regret for leaving my job but at the same time I am going through horrible depression. Multiple times a day I go through crying and freak-out fits. I was hoping to be employed before the new year, but that's probably not going to happen.

My advice to you is to hang in there. I know it's hard, but you gotta do it. I keep telling myself that I will find a job, I know it will happen, I just don't know when.

Do you have good public transportation where you live? Maybe you can look for jobs along a convenient bus route. Don't rule out anything - retail, waitressing, etc - find something that will allow you to save up. Then you can buy a car and look for something more substantial. Best of luck!
I'm sorry to hear that I hope that things get better for you soon. Kudos to you for not staying in a miserable job situation, though. I think that if more of us left when we were being treated unfairly, maybe employers would start to get a clue.

There isn't public transportation where I live, unfortunately. If there was, I wouldn't worry about a new car at all. I've already applied at everything within walking distance, some places several times. I'm also applying at places near my current job so I could walk right from one to the next. Saw today that the dollar store is hiring so I'm going to stop in there tomorrow. I work retail now so I think that might be perfect. Thank you for your advice!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
The agencies are out in full force abusing the employers market a new one pops up every other day. Beware of them they use a system that uses job numbers put out by companies so like 6 different agencies can be sending people to the same company for the same exact job. They send you to interviews even if they know you're a long shot for the job and a lot of time their job descriptions are wrong.
Thank you for the heads up. I've been wary of recruiting firms since I've heard so many people have bad experiences.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
What helped me is prayer and meditation, meditation kept my sanity, prayed kept me hopeful.

I will say that after 5 months of not being employed I am starting part time, but I have 2 other interested parties as well. I've been thankful and continued to pray. Not only praying in asking for more, but giving thanks for all the blessings I have so far.

Is there a bus system where you live? It's a pain but it would take stress off others, as for your dad, how about in lieu of rent you do chores? Do all the cleaning and cooking? That way you are contributing in that way, even offer to do laundry, yard work, etc, anything you can to help compensate for not being able to pay. That's how I'm "paying" my mom. I cook meals, I clean, I run her errands, I even make her lunch to take to school (she's re-enrolled) so while I don't pay she appreciates it. I left a few days to go see my sister and for an interview and when she came back she said she missed me and meals!

*hugs* keep your chin up, ask for more hours if you can.
That's great advice, thank you. I have definitely been neglecting the spiritual side of my life lately.

Congratulations! I hope that the other two work out for you.

There isn't a bus system, but I would love it if there was. I wouldn't even bother replacing my car if that was the case. I do most of the cleaning but I don't cook because I can't afford food besides ramen and mac & cheese, which he doesn't eat. We have a food stamp card but my dad uses it to buy his own stuff. Most of which is uncookable in the traditional sense. Prepackaged lunch meat, cheez-its, canned soup, etc.

That's so nice of you I'm sure your mom really appreciates it!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,028,858 times
I guess you can ask if there is anything else you can do to "earn your keep" - and just tell your dad you appreciate him letting you stay, that might placate him.

I did get the job, so I came back here to send some good vibes/mojo your way! I hope something comes up for you Try to stay positive.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,110,570 times
What about advertising on CL or something similar as a babysitter, caregiver, house cleaner, or something domestic part time to make extra money? I think another retail will just interfere with the hours you already have going. But maybe not. And save as much as you can for a car. Or a motorcycle. Or a bike. Curses to your relatives who don't want to drive you. They are selfish people. These are hard times. Best of luck and keep on trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment