Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM

212 posts, read 1,007,139 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine declared we were going into another recession in the new year because of this fiscal cliff business. No, he's not a political nor a financial expert, but his words scared the s*** out of me since I'm unemployed.

What is everyone's opinions/concerns on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 04:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 94,011,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
A friend of mine declared we were going into another recession in the new year because of this fiscal cliff business. No, he's not a political nor a financial expert, but his words scared the s*** out of me since I'm unemployed.

What is everyone's opinions/concerns on this?

What difference does it make to someone who is unemployed? Are you going to try any harder to find a job? Stop looking for a job?

The only thing I can think of is if you could glean some insight into what jobs will be more in demand should a recession come, and aim for those.

On the other hand...

Why 2013 Might Be The Year Of The 'Raging Bull' Market - Forbes

2013 Market Outlook: Seven Reasons to Stay Bullish on Stocks

6 Reasons to Bet on a Big Bull Market - Kiplinger

Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,506,187 times
The fiscal cliff is going to hit, and hard. Neither side wants to admit it, but it is going to get ugly on he beltway.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM

212 posts, read 1,007,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What difference does it make to someone who is unemployed? Are you going to try any harder to find a job? Stop looking for a job?

The only thing I can think of is if you could glean some insight into what jobs will be more in demand should a recession come, and aim for those.

On the other hand...

My concern is being able to find a job if we go into another recession. I've been unemployed for 3 months and I'm already desperate for a steady paycheck.

I'd love to focus my career into something recession-proof, but how can I find that info out? During 2008, a lot of people said nursing was a recession-proof career, yet I know a few nurses that couldn't find anything during this time.

Last edited by the_contrary; 11-29-2012 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: hit submit too soon

Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 AM

691 posts, read 773,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

On the other hand...

It makes a difference if one of the cuts is to extended unemployment benefits and the program reverts back to 26 weeks.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,553,602 times
No one wants to admit it, but the current idea of printing money at a rate of 3-5% inflation while under-taxing everyone works pretty well and has for the last 100 years or so (Federal Reserve established in 1913 IIRC). They'll go right up to the limit to show how big their egos are and then at the last minute life will go on. The US doesn't run out of money, it can't. We make our own.

Downside is companies are already putting off hiring but there will be pent up demand in the beginning of 2013 when all this crap blows over.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,911,898 times
As a taxpayer, I'm not very excited about the fiscal cliff. It means we who work spend our days working for less and less. All because the politicians can't figure out how to balance a budget. More of my hard earned money will be taken from me -- and as it is, many of us taxpayers are living with very little extra.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 PM

29,993 posts, read 25,127,555 times
Hard to say what's going to happen. Our overpaid politicians are playing ridiculous game of chicken while our economy and the well being of millions of Americans is at stake.

My observation is that customers have been rushing in like crazy to have work done before the end of the year. Our company just bought a brand new massive milling machine, and I'm sure such a major purchase was strategically planned considering the possible fiscal cliff crap. Business has been excellent for the past 3 years, and the owner must feel secure about the future to make such a major purchase. Better now than next year considering the absurdity of our politicians.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,553,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
It makes a difference if one of the cuts is to extended unemployment benefits and the program reverts back to 26 weeks.
Exactly the lady I met with the other day from unemployment said use your voice call your congressperson and make it known you need unemployment extended. So I did just that and I am glad I did. It was quick the congressmen's aid logged my call and ensured me it would be forwarded to his DC office.

I have been working very hard to find a job and faced all kinds of legal discrimination. You are qualified, but we are only interested in candidates that already are employed. Then they figure out I am over 40 by looking at my work history and college graduation date and I get passed over for 20 somethings. I thought I had a lousy job offer, but when I asked them to clarify it was clear it was fairly bogus. I was desperate enough I was going to take that.

BTW this is very frustrating to someone whom has been unemployed only since June 2012 when a couple years back people were getting 2 years of UI.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 94,011,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
It doesn't make a difference to the extent that a person has to make a decision. If unemployment ran out in 6 weeks, 26 weeks or 69 weeks, an unemployed person still needs to find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment