Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,457,850 times

Advertisements

While I'm currently employed, I've been looking through jobs casually, and one thing that really annoys me is the fact that some companies do not list the pay range for the job vacancy. Why not? It would save both the potential employee as well as the employer valuable time. Nothing worse than applying for a job only to find the salary offered is way below what I would want. Surely employers would rather not waste their time interviewing people who will eventually turn down the job also? Giving the salary range would allow potential employees to make their own decisions. Some companies already do this, I'm not sure why this isnt standard practice across the board. OK Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,365,440 times
Because the pay will depend on the individual person. If they list a range and then get an offer on the low end, they might be offended.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,405,617 times
1. Pay depends on position.

2. And no one who is not in HR EVER thinks of this...if they list pay on the job ads, if pay fluctuates between areas, responsibilities, etc...then people in the company find out what others make.

Let's say you are hiring for a secretary in accounting. The secretary in legal is bored and goes on "Indeed" and looks up the company. And discovers that secretaries in accounting make 7,000 more per year than she does. How well do you think that is going to go...and how long until the whole darn company spends their day Googling their coworkers?

Pay fluctuation happens. It does not need to be something the whole company is talking about.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
If you look at public agencies, they almost always have the pay listed, because they have a range for every position that has been approved in that year's budget. Private companies are not as likely for the reason given by thebunny but also because they don't have to. People still apply, and they can ask the person's salary "desired" or "requirement" and if the person gives an amount lower than what they expected to pay, they will save money. That's another result of the current economy. If it was a worker's market, they would publish the salary and they would be higher to attract more applicants.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:24 AM

691 posts, read 772,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
While I'm currently employed, I've been looking through jobs casually, and one thing that really annoys me is the fact that some companies do not list the pay range for the job vacancy. Why not? It would save both the potential employee as well as the employer valuable time. Nothing worse than applying for a job only to find the salary offered is way below what I would want. Surely employers would rather not waste their time interviewing people who will eventually turn down the job also? Giving the salary range would allow potential employees to make their own decisions. Some companies already do this, I'm not sure why this isnt standard practice across the board. OK Rant over.

The applicant should already know the market pay range for the position they are applying for. This is basic pre-interview research. If you want more, it is your job to explain why you are worth it in the interview and let the employer decide if the value you can bring is worth the additional compensation. Sometimes you can negotiate more vacation or better benefits in lieu of additional salary.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,911 times
While i am unemployed i am currrently looking for jobs, and the most important thing people look for is the pay stubs. Do you know what, there was no pay listed under hardly any jobs except the garbage man. Who would want to be a garbeage man? This is very crazy.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you look at public agencies, they almost always have the pay listed, because they have a range for every position that has been approved in that year's budget. Private companies are not as likely for the reason given by thebunny but also because they don't have to. People still apply, and they can ask the person's salary "desired" or "requirement" and if the person gives an amount lower than what they expected to pay, they will save money. That's another result of the current economy. If it was a worker's market, they would publish the salary and they would be higher to attract more applicants.
are you freaking crazy

Old 05-07-2013, 12:06 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,692,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
The applicant should already know the market pay range for the position they are applying for. This is basic pre-interview research.
salaries can vary WIDELY for many jobs. i'm applying for mostly senior level admin jobs (mostly at nonprofits, which is probably a factor) and the pay runs from mid 20s to low 40s. that's a HUGE difference and it would be nice to not have to bother with the jobs that pay peanuts.

your advice to do research and negotiate salary is good, though. too few people do this, out of fear that they'll lose the job offer, i guess.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,853,911 times
Hard to lowball you if they tell you the salary range. The first person to throw out a number loses the negotiation. Keep that rule in mind.

Companies who pay crappy wages still want to collect lots of applicants so they claim that compensation is proprietary. If these types of companies were upfront about what they are planning to pay then I can see a few things happening:

1. People don't apply because they know beforehand they are going to get ripped off.
2. Someone they lowballed last week sees the pay range and demands a raise.
3. The range was higher than what the desperate applicants were willing to accept so the company ends up paying more than the absolute minimum.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,778,269 times
Although, interestingly enough, the public sector not only publishes pay ranges, but is required to publish the full pay, benefits, overtime, and vacation of every single employee.
And yet public sector wages for competitive positions lag far behind the private sector. The real issue here is that the private sector employers are worried about competitors poaching employees and applicants if their wage scales are public knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment