Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 10:54 PM

108 posts, read 285,895 times

Advertisements

I've been a little scarce from these boards recently (after practically living on them for a few weeks), because recently I've decided to join the military. I'm currently enlisting into the USAF. I'm really excited about it actually.

My story was I was looking to become and Underwriter, after working in the supply chain field and hating it. Everyone in my family did supply chain, and I only followed suit because I needed a job after graduating college.

Recently, I've been volunteering for the American Red Cross and was even fortunate enough to deploy and do disaster relief for hurricane Sandy.

I've shuffled my feet long enough, and I decided to enlist and this is probably the most excitement I've had about my life prospects in awhile. I'm looking to become a crypto-linguist, but if the wait time is too great, I'll take something else; I'm always open to opportunity.

Has anyone else decided to take the military route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 AM

644 posts, read 1,145,063 times
No, I don't think I see myself in the military anytime soon.

I'm tired of people suggesting that though. It's not for everybody just like college isn't for everybody. I chose to go to college and work on my career versus going in the military.

The only ones I know suggesting the unemployed or the underemployed to join the military are those that already know they aren't going to join themselves so they have no right to speak nor suggest in the first place.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,678 times
I've thought about it, but I don't like the hoops I've had to jump through to actually get some legit information on it. If I'm putting my life on the line for the country, they've better have made it as easy as possible for me to do so. As it is, it's like they don't appreciate being asked all the questions I'd need to have had answered before I sign up.

Also, apparently I have an attitude problem for thinking like that....I'm not what they're looking for...I guess it's more of a "shut up and be grateful that you even exist" type of job...which isn't a bad thing, but still, I mean, wouldn't I be expected to ask questions? This is my life we're talking about here...I know it doesn't mean much to you all, but to me, it's like, the only thing I have that's mine....

It'll be my plan Z, and I'm dragging my feet as you were, but if nothing else happens, that's what I'll end up doing...

Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,667,902 times
I've done it, four years in the army. Joining the military to solve a problem like not having a job or dropping out of school is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. It will get the job done and solve that one problem but it will solve all the other problems you didn't want solved. Meaning, be prepared for change in every aspect of your life. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing. Some people really enjoy the military lifestyle. But it is a big change compared to civilian life. The whole time I was in the service, I could not remember what it was like being a civilian. I don't regret my choice but it's definitely not for everyone.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times
I'm not in the military and never was. But I work with a lot of active duty and retired. Pick a speciality that has relevance after you leave. As in, you'll come out with in demand skills and make good money.

I know lots of guys who did BS in the military and are back at the same point they were before joining. One guy is back delivering pizza's after a few tours risking his life in Iraq. Research and fight for a good speciality. Find guys who have left the military and see what they're doing. You'll thank yourself in 10 years.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,492,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNative View Post
I've been a little scarce from these boards recently (after practically living on them for a few weeks), because recently I've decided to join the military. I'm currently enlisting into the USAF. I'm really excited about it actually.

My story was I was looking to become and Underwriter, after working in the supply chain field and hating it. Everyone in my family did supply chain, and I only followed suit because I needed a job after graduating college.

Recently, I've been volunteering for the American Red Cross and was even fortunate enough to deploy and do disaster relief for hurricane Sandy.

I've shuffled my feet long enough, and I decided to enlist and this is probably the most excitement I've had about my life prospects in awhile. I'm looking to become a crypto-linguist, but if the wait time is too great, I'll take something else; I'm always open to opportunity.

Has anyone else decided to take the military route?
I did a hitch in the Navy. I think my best advice is pick a job you are interested in and then research it to make sure. This is what you will be doing for the next four years. It's not like civilian life where you can quit if you don't like it. If you really want to be a crypto-linguist then I would wait till it opened up.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,488,043 times
Oh heck yes! NEVER go in without a guaranteed job unless you want to be a bullet sponge or something to that effect.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,667,902 times
If you haven't seen this link yet, it is very informative.

1N3X1 - CRYPTOLOGIC LINGUIST

The comments section has a lot of interesting tidbits.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:45 AM

455 posts, read 1,397,911 times
Former US Army Paratrooper here. Did 5 years and 2 tours (OIF 1 and 3), I was stationed at Fort Bragg. My MOS was 25F which is a enlisted Signal MOS. I got out in 2006 and since then I have been making 6 figures and have never been unemployed. Getting a MOS what requires a clearance is a must. A TS would be idea but a Secret is ok too.

Not sure what people are talking about with not getting the info easily. It's all over the Internet. Just remember your recruiter doesn't know everything. In the Army a recruiter position isn't a MOS its more of a special duty position. Just like being a Drill Sergeant is. Your recruiter could be a mechanic or a logistics person. Who knows.

On another note don't enlist. Go OCS or whatever the AF calls it. Officers get paid better and live better. Retirement is complete crap for enlisted. My in law retired as a E-8 and barely makes ends meet. Now if you retired as a O-4 you can live cozy off that income.

Be aware of the branch limitations too. AF doesn't use Warrant officers. The Army does. So if you want to be a helicopter pilot you can in the army without being a normally commissioned officer. These speciality type officers are called Warrant Officers and they aren't limited to just flying. Every career field in the Army uses them.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. But just for full disclosure I am considering getting back in myself. As a officer.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:54 AM

108 posts, read 285,895 times
Thank you guys for your advice (and the reps)!

I enjoy reading the opinions on this board. Curtisc83 I understand about going in as an officer, but It's not just the pay for me. It's an opportunity to call myself an Airman. The Officer track has a long wait list and I just turned 27. I can still make it in as enlisted.

Thanks for your service Curtisc83 and good luck commissioning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment