Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:45 AM

380 posts, read 1,158,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
great post. This is what I feel many people have trouble grasping.
Funny, because it's clear that some of you aren't grasping the points others are making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,236,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
@ the bolded....Neither did I. Clearly, you don't understand my point so I won't address anything that you have written here.
But you did. Not explicitly, but you are operating under the assumption that on the job skills are not present, which is far from true. Can you please address my points, as they are very relevant? If the entire team does not like you, then you most likely should be fired. That is exactly what I was talking about regarding 'synergy gains'. Certain personalities are poisonous to organizations, regardless of skill.

Your example fell pretty short too, as that woman was lying/cheating her way by using likability as a factor. That is very, very far from what I am talking about

Quote:
Funny, because it's clear that some of you aren't grasping the points others are making.
am I correct in assuming you have never been in a management role in your life?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM

5,346 posts, read 6,189,329 times
Quote:
I am grasping the points others are making and I am stating that is not the reality of the current organizational environment. Cross functional agility, building relationships, etc. are some of the most common competencies within any organizations competency model. This means these are skills organizations are hiring for and find important to success on the job.

If you don't think those skills are necessary then you are free to start your own company where everyone is cordial, but nothing beyond that, and all work is done independently of any other person.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM

977 posts, read 1,819,169 times
This goes on a lot on a subconscious basis. People like those who are like them. This is all fine, but I see a problem in that you get white, fraternity/sorority type people hiring those who are like themselves even if others are slightly more or equally qualified. Or replace white with Chinese or other race/ethnicity, but I'm sure you get my point. This is why those who share the same race/religion/personality with those in power get ahead more easily.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,401,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
This goes on a lot on a subconscious basis. People like those who are like them. This is all fine, but I see a problem in that you get white, fraternity/sorority type people hiring those who are like themselves even if others are slightly more or equally qualified. Or replace white with Chinese or other race/ethnicity, but I'm sure you get my point. This is why those who share the same race/religion/personality with those in power get ahead more easily.
At one company I worked at, we had an Indian manager who only hired Indians, and a Chinese manager who only hired Chinese people. It was so blatant.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But you did. Not explicitly, but you are operating under the assumption that on the job skills are not present, which is far from true. Can you please address my points, as they are very relevant? If the entire team does not like you, then you most likely should be fired. That is exactly what I was talking about regarding 'synergy gains'. Certain personalities are poisonous to organizations, regardless of skill.

Your example fell pretty short too, as that woman was lying/cheating her way by using likability as a factor. That is very, very far from what I am talking about

am I correct in assuming you have never been in a management role in your life?
You have reading comprehension problems. I will not engage you because you haven't addressed my points because you don't understand them. You seem to be operating under a fairy tale assumption of what office politics is really about. Good day, sir.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
You have reading comprehension problems. I will not engage you because you haven't addressed my points because you don't understand them. You seem to be operating under a fairy tale assumption of what office politics is really about. Good day, sir.
No, you won't engage me because you don't have a decent response. I addressed your points to the letter. I do understand what office politics is about, and a properly structured team with a decent manager mitigates most of your concerns.

Again, it is painfully obvious you have never managed anyone else in your life.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
I am grasping the points others are making and I am stating that is not the reality of the current organizational environment. Cross functional agility, building relationships, etc. are some of the most common competencies within any organizations competency model. This means these are skills organizations are hiring for and find important to success on the job.

If you don't think those skills are necessary then you are free to start your own company where everyone is cordial, but nothing beyond that, and all work is done independently of any other person.
I get along very well. Most people like me. However, I have seen perfectly fine employees get forced out because the right person decided they didn't like that person. Many times the "doesn't fit" excuse has nothing to do with having happy times, productivity, or synergy. Often, it's simply not fitting in with the clique because someone in the clique decided they didn't want that person there. I'm not arguing skill. If you get an interview clearly you have the skills. If you get hired, then, again, you have the skills. But, the likeability thing is often used as an excuse to get rid of someone you just don't like for petty reasons.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM

181 posts, read 451,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Big difference between not being "chatty" and being ride if you are asked a question, etc. I have worked with people who snap when you ask them a work-related question. In a small office, this is not going to work.
Exactly! I left a job couple of months ago that was a very small office where they snapped at you for every work related question. I'd never worked in that kind of environment and I've worked in big corporations most of my life and never had much of a problem, this job was the most toxic environment I'd ever worked in. I'm an outgoing, chatty person who gets the work done quickly and correctly, I don't think they liked that in that office, they were all mean spirited b******.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I get along very well. Most people like me. However, I have seen perfectly fine employees get forced out because the right person decided they didn't like that person. Many times the "doesn't fit" excuse has nothing to do with having happy times, productivity, or synergy. Often, it's simply not fitting in with the clique because someone in the clique decided they didn't want that person there. I'm not arguing skill. If you get an interview clearly you have the skills. If you get hired, then, again, you have the skills. But, the likeability thing is often used as an excuse to get rid of someone you just don't like for petty reasons.
You must have had some pretty bad bosses if they let a clique run a company like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment