Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 AM

50 posts, read 89,788 times

Advertisements

Here is my situation. I am an accountant, and am looking for a better opportunity now that the job market is starting to improve. I have been working with a headhunter that specializes in accounting. I went on a couple of interviews through him. About 3 months ago, right after I first started working with him, he mentioned a company in my area He said that for this particular position, they wanted someone with cost accounting experience. I told him I didn't have cost accounting experience so he didn't submit me. Every night, I go on Indeed.com and look for positions I am qualified for. Last Thursday, I saw a Staff Accountant position at the same company that didn't require any cost accounting experience. I sent my resume and the next day the HR managere called me to set up an interview. Yesterday, the recruiter called me and asked if he could submit me for a position at this company. I told him I had sent my resume myself and HR wanted to bring me in. He got annoyed and was like "Don't you remember us speaking about this position before?" I tried to explain it was a few months back, but he was very abrupt with me and hung up. I don't understand. I could understand him being mad if he had called me last week and asked if he could submit me and then I saw the position online and applied myself. Had he called me last week about the position, I I wouldn't have applied myself. I would have let him do it. I didn't think there was anything wrong with doing it because he had last spoken to me about this company over 2 months ago and it was for a position they wouldn't have been interested in me for anyway. I guess in hindsight, it wouldn't have been a bad idea last week after I had seen this posting online, to call the recruiter and say, "I know you mentioned this company to me a couple months back. They have a position posted it looks like I am a good fit for. Are you working with this company now? But seriously, did I do anything that bad? Sorry for the length of the story. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,898 times
He's probably just mad because he won't get paid for finding you a job now. I mean, that's what head hunters do right?

Anyways, don't get too upset, but I hope you get this job because he probably won't help you as much now (though it sounds like you haven't heard from him in a while as it is).

Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
I wouldn't worry about it. The headhunter should have been more on top of things and called you sooner.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:34 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
He's mad because he may lose his cut.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
If he didn't suck at his job then he'd be getting a slice of that pie. That's not your problem.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Dang that's hard to read.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:42 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,340 times
He's just mad because he lost out on an opportunity to get commission. The best way to get a job is to submit the resume yourself. You did it right. If you see a job you want submit the resume. You aren't obligated to the headhunter.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM

531 posts, read 2,899,896 times
I had one head hunter pressure me so hard into a job, I almost took it even though I knew it was a mistake. This was when I was much younger. I got an offer for a job she referred me to but I turned it down. She had me on the phone for about 30 minutes, telling me my experience was weak, I was lucky to get this offer and I'd be a fool to turn it down. 15 years later that company no longer exists and I am gainfully employed.

I had another head hunter ask me if I would be interested in interviewing for a job in Connecticut. I said no, as I lived in NY at the time, but he pressured me and ultimately I said ok. He called me a week or so later and said "ok, the interview is all set for today...". Today? Um, I live in NY, how am I supposed to just drop everything and go to an interview in CT?! He screamed at me on the phone until I hung up.

Sorry, headhunters are the worst.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
He's just mad because he lost out on an opportunity to get commission. The best way to get a job is to submit the resume yourself. You did it right. If you see a job you want submit the resume. You aren't obligated to the headhunter.
^ ^ ^ That's exactly what has happened.

Forget it. There are other headhunters out there if you really need to use one. This one sounds like a jerk to me.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:31 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,675,356 times
I've yet to meet a headhunter who wasn't a leech. Internal recruiters are okay though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment