Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM

70 posts, read 235,690 times

Advertisements

I don't really have a questions, I just need to vent!

I interviewed for a project manager position earlier this week. My friend referred me so I felt I had a pretty good chance of getting hired. The VP that interviewed me seemed to like me, and I felt I did well when answering her questions. Well, I got an email from my friend shortly after the interview telling me that the VP had chosen someone with more experience (that's fair). However, he mentioned that she told him she didn't think I'd be a good cultural fit because I look really young. I'm 28, but I've been told I look 19. Basically, there's not much I can do to make myself appear older, and I feel that in the future I may be denied jobs that pay well because of this.

I got laid off last month, but with this latest rejection I think I'm going back to school full-time instead of looking for another job.

Last edited by Lazer22; 12-06-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Then do some social engineering and learn to look the part more. Grow some facial hair, wear glasses that make you look older. I look young too. It was a problem when I was 30 looking 21 with employers, now it's a benefit that I am 43 and look about 35. In fact I noticed losing weight and cutting my hair military short with no facial hair made me look 35 so it's helping.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:18 PM

70 posts, read 235,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Then do some social engineering and learn to look the part more. Grow some facial hair, wear glasses that make you look older. I look young too. It was a problem when I was 30 looking 21 with employers, now it's a benefit that I am 43 and look about 35. In fact I noticed losing weight and cutting my hair military short with no facial hair made me look 35 so it's helping.
I am female, so it would probably not be a good idea for me to grow facial hair.

Maybe I should get into acting where they want you to look young.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:20 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
I have baby-face issues, too. I grew a goatee and it seems to work in terms of making me look older. Give it a try. Don't throw yourself back into school based on your emotions, only go back if you have a clear path on what you are going to accomplish. Like the poster above mentioned, look the part. However, it is unfortunate that you will come across prejudice people no matter what. You can't cure stupid, so there's no use worrying about it.

Edited: Saw that you indicated that you're a female. Maybe there are some types of clothes you can wear that make you appear older. Use big words. Otherwise, refer to my last sentence above.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer22 View Post
I am female, so it would probably not be a good idea for me to grow facial hair.

Maybe I should get into acting where they want you to look young.
LOL didn't know you are female, never mind. But you could go with a makeover that makes you look older, minus the facial hair.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Sometimes "too young" is code for too unprofessional--either in dress, manner, speak, tats, earrings, etc.

Compare how you're dressed, your hairstyle, etc to those that are working in the office. All the women wear suits and pearls, then you should, too. If your friend already works there, you could try asking him/her for an honest opinion about your appearances as compared to those who work there. The key is to fit in.

Alternatively, they could've have coupled the "too young" comment with the not-enough-experience comment to soften the rejection blow.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,091 times
Here are a few tips on how to look older for a woman. Wear lose fitting clothes and eye glasses. Most of the time that tends to make women look older. Good luck in your next interview.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
When hiring for a project manager, you need to overcome your young appearance by related your experience in managing a diverse team that included older people. Head off their worry ahead of time in the interview. You don't want to lie or make things up, but if you have managed someone even a year or two older than you it would be honest to say "older people." Hiring managers with older, seasoned staff do worry about whether a younger person can handle their people. Years ago I managed to get a supervisory job at age 26 where I had staff in their 60s, so I know it can be done successfully.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
That's b.s.! I have friends my age who look really young like I do and have held managerial positions. One has held (is holding) prestigious jobs in Hollywood where most of her coworkers are in their 30's and up. You just gotta sound mature. That's what my friends did. Although my other friend has that really sweet young sounding voice no matter what so that one beats me! It just depends on the company.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Here are a few tips on how to look older for a woman. Wear lose fitting clothes and eye glasses. Most of the time that tends to make women look older. Good luck in your next interview.

So the way to dress older is make yourself look ugly? Ain't saying wearing eyeglasses makes one look ugly but if one doesn't wear eyeglasses normally, it's for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment