Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,426,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHey! View Post
Certainly don't mean to come across as arrogant, but I feel I would have gotten the interview regardless of my manager's endorsement. I was successful at my old job and left the company with no bridges burned - many folks being extremely helpful in my job search (networking, providing recommendations, informing me of open positions, etc).

The new role is very, very similar to my old role at the company and I would have been on a somewhat short list of internal candidates that would be an "obvious contender".

It just seemed to be somewhat sneaky the way it was handled. I guess I just assumed that my old manager would have the interest of a previous direct report/teammate over that of someone else.
Careful with this belief. No matter how good you are at your job, once you are laid off there is ALWAYS a question of if you are damaged goods, if you will be as great when you come back as you were the first time. Also, they know your flaws and weaknesses much more accurately than a new hire. Yes, this is not always a bad thing...but sometimes the new hire looks better than the old employee for that reason.

So, I think you are being a little overly sure of yourself when you say you are certain you would have gotten the interview...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:54 PM

398 posts, read 547,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Careful with this belief. No matter how good you are at your job, once you are laid off there is ALWAYS a question of if you are damaged goods, if you will be as great when you come back as you were the first time. Also, they know your flaws and weaknesses much more accurately than a new hire. Yes, this is not always a bad thing...but sometimes the new hire looks better than the old employee for that reason.

So, I think you are being a little overly sure of yourself when you say you are certain you would have gotten the interview...
Hmmmm....thats pretty smart thinking, Bunny. I read the post but didn't quite look at it that way.

Good thinking.......

FWIW.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:10 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,164,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post

He was questioning himself, only a few weeks ago. Employers had zero interest. After some encouragement and mentoring, he has some confidence again. After he finds out another young employee is getting attention, he is whining again.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/27017342-post102.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHey! View Post
It's interesting. For all of you who are 1) NOT willing to relocate and/or 2) Over 50, here's some perspective from the opposite end of the spectrum:

I just turned 25, recently laid off (about a month ago), no kids or significant other. I'm willing (and would love) to move pretty much ANYWHERE in the southeast. The problem I'm running into? Employers have ZERO to no interest in relocating a mostly entry-level candidate. I've started including in my cover letter that I am willing to PAY FOR MY OWN relocation (sucks, but if that's what it takes!). Also, I have a great network, but it's difficult to use them when I'm not applying for local jobs.

Also, in my local job search, I meet the MINIMUM requirement of most jobs "qualifications" with only 2 years of real world experience. So ANYONE that's simply been alive longer than me has a leg up.

I have no "ideal city" to just pack up and move to and THEN to try to find a job. I'm looking for the best opportunity, not the best city (ideally they would go hand in hand, but if not, I can cope).

So, I said all that to say, the grass isn't necessarily greener for those younger with relocation flexibility. I'm hopeful, but it's tough out here for us too!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,426,338 times
Missed that. Thanks for pointing this out.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 PM

102 posts, read 311,720 times
Thanks everyone for the input. The "outsider" viewpoint is exactly why I inquired here - much appreciated!

Also, would like to note - I said I felt confident that I would get the interview (regardless of endorsement) - not necessarily the job. Big difference! There are multiple strong, internal candidates, who are being interviewed - most of whom have much more seniority than I do, so competition is pretty stiff.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM

102 posts, read 311,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
He was questioning himself, only a few weeks ago. Employers had zero interest. After some encouragement and mentoring, he has some confidence again. After he finds out another young employee is getting attention, he is whining again.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/27017342-post102.html
I had confidence then too, just wanted to share an alternate perspective to fellow job-hunters here! Apparently the 2 month benchmark is some sort of threshold in the job-hunting world. No call backs in the first month and a steady stream in the second month.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 PM

437 posts, read 673,998 times
You say you learned of this "through the grapevine". It may or may not be true. Don't waste time questioning you mentors motives or actions, especially when you don't have solid facts.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,311,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
She put you in the running. Without her, you would not have even been considered. She encouraged you to apply and you did. She also brought another candidate to the table. She must believe that you're both good candidates for the position. So what?

IMHO, yes, you're overreacting and you should thank her for the opportunity that, otherwise, would not have been there for you.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment