Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever have a job where they can't look outside or have natural sunlight? Is it depressing, especially during the winter where you don't ever see the Sun, or do you not notice it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
I used to be a security guard. The security company was in a nice office building with windows, when I interviewed. They took contracts with various companies. I was assigned a warehouse with no windows on the night shift. After 1 month, I turned in my resignation. LOL.

I could have stayed and complained about "how unfair it was?". I opted to take control of my job environment and leave.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Yeah, worked in a secure area for a while. It's actually worse in the summer; in the winter its depressing outside so a window doesn't help.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Sure, for many years, but there was always a window or two to pass by when going to the copier or break room, and you can always take a walk outside at lunch/break time. Finally I have a window office with a water and mountain view the last two years and still take a walk at lunch.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 AM

38,860 posts, read 22,849,388 times
About 11 years ago, I worked in a temp job for a large title insurance company here in Southern California. The department I worked for was located in the basement of the building, and it was a very large space with rows of workstations, filing cabinets, etc. Anyway, that basement had NO windows at all. You couldn't tell if it was daytime or nighttime outside. I worked the afternoon shift from 1:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. I could just imagine if that basement floor had a power outage--it would be pitch black!

I was told by the temp agency before I started working this job that it was supposed to be a temp-to-perm job. I was only there for a couple of weeks because I found a full-time, permanent job on my own. The office at the new job had plenty of windows and natural light, by the way.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
I work in cubicle city. There are windows all around the perimeter, but the blinds are always closed. On the few occasions they have opened them, I found I didn't like it due to the glare...and had to request they be closed! Thankfully, there are others areas we catch a glimpse of the outside, and we are in such a beautiful location with walking trails, that it's great to get out on our breaks & feel the wind (or rain right now!).

Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Yes. A lower floor in a large office buiding. No windows at all and the floor was huge - with hundreds of people and large corridors and a cafeteria...but no windows anywhere.

It did not cause any issues with me at all. When you left for the day you would suddenly say "oh, it's raining". And think about it for one second and forget about it. It was a normal office environment and we worked inside and the issue of 'no windows' really was forgotten until the moment you walked out the door. Folks often went out for lunch also. I never felt like I was stuck inside or anything like that. Worked there almost 2 years.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Anyone ever have a job where they can't look outside or have natural sunlight? Is it depressing, especially during the winter where you don't ever see the Sun, or do you not notice it?
Six painfully long, stress-inducing years. First an interior room, then another interior room, then a basement, all with the same employer (government). Recycled air, no real circulation, mold and the lighting... The false lighting will give you issues you didn't even know exist, add in staring at a computer monitor all day. Even after 6 years and moving to a new building with all windows - 2 weeks later I quit anyway.

There comes a point of no return where the job became too intolerable and lighting just didn't make the difference anymore. I'm at the point now where I want to see my work station at an interview before I even talk to anyone - I feel like a prisoner of war.

I did take half hour walks daily. Upped it to an hour - before work started and during work for lunch. Did not matter.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I teach at a college where some genius designed an entire building so that all the classrooms are on the inside, completely cut off from natural light. Any time I get assigned a class in that building, I request a change. It's really depressing to be in there for more than about an hour.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I worked at a secure data center for a while -- real "blast proof" type place. Even though none of my direct co-workers were smokers we all did take a few "walk around on the surface" breaks every day. We also had a nice big break room with a couple of decent TVs so that we could turn on the news or sporting events. We could forward our phone to lines in the break room. Really not too bad at all. If you brought a laptop you could do 99% of your work while having a ballgame on a plasma set. In a lot of ways I think the folks that ran this particular organization knew that the work site was kind of uniquely awful and they made efforts to compensate us both monetarily and with lax break policies. When I left it was for a position that was far more integrated with the rest of staff, but there are times when I've been in meeting with some of these jokers that I wish I could go back to having a TV on all day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment