Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 12:51 AM

22 posts, read 30,083 times

Advertisements

Well the end of the holiday season is approaching and I think so is my holiday job. I wanted to start applying for other jobs in case my current employer decides not to keep me.

Should I talk to my manager first and let them know I am interested in a permanent position? How do I go about saying this AND letting them know is it okay if I apply to other jobs in case I am not offered a position here? I want to say this without seeming like I want to take off from here!

I already got a good review from a fellow co-worker who let the manager know they should keep me post-holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
You don't need to let them know you are looking for another job, it isn't any of their business. Just talk to you boss let him/her know you would like a permanent position.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 4,361 times
Maybe I'm one of the most experienced customers of the Blogstaffing. Due to my life position I often change my place of residence, and therefore the job...
Before every change was a disaster, but now I’m sure in my warm and effective relations with Blogstaffing!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santas-reindeer View Post
Well the end of the holiday season is approaching and I think so is my holiday job. I wanted to start applying for other jobs in case my current employer decides not to keep me.

Should I talk to my manager first and let them know I am interested in a permanent position? How do I go about saying this AND letting them know is it okay if I apply to other jobs in case I am not offered a position here? I want to say this without seeming like I want to take off from here!

I already got a good review from a fellow co-worker who let the manager know they should keep me post-holidays.

I am in the same boat with hoping my seasonal job can turn into something more. I simply told my boss that I love working here and that I hope he might consider me if an opening comes up of any kind.

He has not said no, he has not said yes. I am hoping....

Meanwhile I will look around, but hope that I will get some kind of indication from this boss soon.

After a certain point I may have to just move on and realize that he is not interested in bringing me on.

I feel it's kind of an awkward place to be...

Old 12-22-2012, 09:40 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You don't need to let them know you are looking for another job, it isn't any of their business. Just talk to you boss let him/her know you would like a permanent position.

Excellent advice.
The less your current employer knows about you looking, the better.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post

Excellent advice.
The less your current employer knows about you looking, the better.
thank you for advice all, but the thing is I need references from this job. and employers usually call the references if they take my application serious.

On the day of my last scheduled shift is it acceptable to ask for a CO-WORKERS phone # and permission to use them as a reference?? Or do I just use a managers Name, in which case I don't need to ask since the direct # to where i work will do just fine. With a co-worker its different since they are the same level as me and I expect them to give a better review than a manager might

Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
thank you for advice all, but the thing is I need references from this job. and employers usually call the references if they take my application serious.

On the day of my last scheduled shift is it acceptable to ask for a CO-WORKERS phone # and permission to use them as a reference?? Or do I just use a managers Name, in which case I don't need to ask since the direct # to where i work will do just fine. With a co-worker its different since they are the same level as me and I expect them to give a better review than a manager might
I believe they would accept references from your previous employer not your current one.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I believe they would accept references from your previous employer not your current one.
this is my first actual job, the jobs before were just from people i know, sorta odd jobs, no pay

Old 12-24-2012, 10:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
this is my first actual job, the jobs before were just from people i know, sorta odd jobs, no pay

I try to use the people you know from the previous jobs or friends/family instead of the current employer

Old 12-25-2012, 08:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:

Since your job is a seasonal one there is absolutely no harm in giving your current manager's contact information as a reference. However, DO ask your manager first as you would do before listing anyone. You can combine the two issues, viz: "I would really like to be considered for a full time position here", and (unless you get a very enthusiastic response), "I do need to plan ahead so would it be OK for me to list you as a reference while applying to other positions?"

I don't agree in this case that "the less your current employer knows about you looking, the better". If you were a regular employee my answer would absolutely be along these lines but not in the case of a seasonal worker.

Using family members as references is a no-no 99.9% of the time and using friends should be done with caution too. Good luck and hope it all works out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment