Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 AM

31 posts, read 56,143 times

Advertisements

My father goes to a large computer company as a programmer or something. He earns like 100k.

And me being a recent graduate of university with a basically non-marketable humanities degree, would it be possible for him to talk to HR to basically hire his own son for a position that is fit for a humanities major? His son who is from a pretty prestigious university but with bad GPA, and has no internship experiences and basically no job experiences either.

Or should I just put on my cover letter that my dad works there?
But then the company is experiencing downhill now-a-days, would it be still worth trying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,768,354 times
What advice have you received from your Dad? He is the one who should be doing the netwoking on your behalf.

What internships did you do in college? Why not use those experinces as your entree into a career?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 AM

I didn't do any internships, I know that is a big weakness. How might be able to do internship post-college?

Dad says that if a person recommends his own relative, it would be automatically rejected and he would be seen as a fool, and that I should find my own way to get a job.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Can I ask what your plan for a career was when you made your choice of major and also your choice not to pursue any work experience? Were you planning to join the military or go to grad school or something? Are those options off the table?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:15 AM

Grad school is probably off the table because my GPA is too low.
Military is at least a few year of dedication so I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 AM

To be honest, I would be very dubious about a candidate with no work or internship experience during the college years. I would assume this person does not take his career very seriously and very consciously wasted 4 years of higher education. Why would I hire someone like that?

You need to get some work experience fast. You will never know if you can get a post-graduation internship or not until you try. Have you applied to any? Have you applied to grad school? Low GPA should not be an issue for many programs. I assume you have taken the GRE at least?

Also, are you on all lists for temp work?

Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,190,019 times
If your dad is smart he would refuse.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 AM

I was going to contact temp agencies soon, probably today.

Internship - In my career center someone told me that the way to find internship might be use Linkedin and talk to alumni and ask them about what they do and then ask if they happen to have any internship openings, but it's hard to even talk to them without already having their emails.

I haven't applied to grad school, I'm not even sure if I would like it although I'm leaning towards that I probably not like it. For which programs might not GPA not matter?

Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbert View Post
I was going to contact temp agencies soon, probably today.

Internship - In my career center someone told me that the way to find internship might be use Linkedin and talk to alumni and ask them about what they do and then ask if they happen to have any internship openings, but it's hard to even talk to them without already having their emails.

I haven't applied to grad school, I'm not even sure if I would like it although I'm leaning towards that I probably not like it. For which programs might not GPA not matter?
I have to ask, are you pulling our legs?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,706,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbert View Post
My father goes to a large computer company as a programmer or something. He earns like 100k.

And me being a recent graduate of university with a basically non-marketable humanities degree, would it be possible for him to talk to HR to basically hire his own son for a position that is fit for a humanities major? His son who is from a pretty prestigious university but with bad GPA, and has no internship experiences and basically no job experiences either.

Or should I just put on my cover letter that my dad works there?
But then the company is experiencing downhill now-a-days, would it be still worth trying?

"Useless Degree" thread #10,267. Degrees are as useless as the people they are attached to. Your degree isn't your identity, you know. Ask your "Programmer Or Something" dad what he thinks. Technology isn't a great field for people who are too lazy to try to get into it without asking the internets if they should bother trying to get into it in the first place.

Edit: Keep in mind that your "programmer or something" dad who makes "like 100k" is probably hovering somewhere around 50 years old by this point. If you get a job as a junior "programmer or something", they usually don't start out at "like 100k", because like a lot of other things, experience makes the big difference in how much a person gets paid.

Last edited by 43north87west; 12-26-2012 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment