Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 PM

34 posts, read 151,035 times

Advertisements

By the time I graduate high school AND turn 18 (I graduate at 17), I'll have 2.5 years of customer service under my belt from working as a crew member moving up to swing manager at McDonald's. With a high school diploma, assuming I don't go to college, for what jobs would I be able to apply?

I'm hoping to get into a field of either retail management or some sort of sales/marketing position, though anything related with customer service would make me happy. I seem to be good at dealing with people.

I'm not sure what employers are really looking for for retail, sales or management positions today, though. Any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 PM

48 posts, read 87,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailmoney View Post
By the time I graduate high school AND turn 18 (I graduate at 17), I'll have 2.5 years of customer service under my belt from working as a crew member moving up to swing manager at McDonald's. With a high school diploma, assuming I don't go to college, for what jobs would I be able to apply?

I'm hoping to get into a field of either retail management or some sort of sales/marketing position, though anything related with customer service would make me happy. I seem to be good at dealing with people.

I'm not sure what employers are really looking for for retail, sales or management positions today, though. Any feedback?
I'll be blunt. It's always good to have a higher education diploma under your belt. Pretty much all organizations I know value college degrees more than experience. A technician could work for 30 years at a company to gain the title "engineer" and get paid the same amount as some college graduate that have ZERO experience under his belt. It's unfair, but that's how the world works.

If you want to advance in retail, you need a degree, like accounting or business. If you hope to advance through experience, you will one day find out the hard way that they won't care about your experience as much as whether you have a college degree or not.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Do some research into salaries and you will find that retail management does not pay much more than the cashiers. Unless you marry someone with a better job you will always be wishing you had more money. I agree with livingenzyme that without a degree you will have a hard time getting promoted, and to make any real money in retail you would have to eventually become a store manager, and that will definitely require a degree to compete.
If you into non-retail customer service, you will find the same problem. Even call center supervisors have degrees these days.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
You can make decent money in retail and get great benefits. However, you will more likely need a higher degree. I did it for years and people were shocked that managers made IMO great money. However, the hours get to you after awhile. If it is something you like, I would definitely find a store you like, it makes ALL the difference when enjoying your job.

You can move to many areas within the corporate office once you get experience, become a visual merchandiser, buyer etc. Good luck!!!

Old 12-29-2012, 05:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
My friend made a good living as a retail manager, but she also had a degree.

If you don't want to go to college, I'd suggest at least going to technical school and/or getting an AA to be some kind of medical technician or teacher's aide, or something. With no higher education and only retail and restaurant experience, yes, you are likely to get stuck there.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
I started in retail in a lowly position of meat-clerk to clean a meat department in a chain grocery store- working in a refrigerated room, cleaning up pretty gross stuff.. but I was fortunate to work with guys, that I did,,, this was 30 years ago I was still in high school.
I worked all the hours i could, i literally ran, and moved as fast as i could- was eager to learn....this was a dog eat dog atmosphere, and i was the new puppy....but instead of quitting,,,i endured.. they taught me more, how to be a meatwrapper, and eventually I came in my days off to learn how to cut meat....I remember feeling so awkward with a knife-these guys were professionals,,,made everything look easy
I even had a meat supervisor tell me,,,dont set my sites on being a meatcutter, because case ready beef will be here in ten years...
anyways, I had to move to get full time, still learning all i could,,,,working as fast as i could,,,within a couple yrs, i was hand picked to be head meat cutter, because of my work ethic and attitude..then soon after that i was a a meat department manager-making good money at the age of 24
then I took advantage of a benefit the company had and took night classes in college-they paid for it!!
I worked for that chain for 12 years, and got other offers, one being a retail supervisor, so I took it..

if you are good with customers, work hard, a team player,,,,you WILL be recognized
id talk with mcdonalds management, maybe they have benefits that pay for college or a percentage
most managers want employees that make them look better- play by the rules, again, you will be recognized..
I once heard that mcdonalds managers make pretty good wages,,,and once you get a few titles, you will be applicable to other fast food restaurants too,

also keep this in mind, if you are a retail manager, maybe you want your own business one day ,,,you now have the experience for it

take a breathe, you arent even 18 yet,,,its good to have goals, but dont set yourself up, so you will quit too soon

Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,185 times
One of my old high school friends started working at Jewel, and worked his way up to Assistant Grocery Manager. He still stayed with Jewel all through college.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailmoney View Post

To move up into what you want, you would need a degree.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,334,391 times
My brother and I worked in Retail Management before. Retail industry is a thankless job and you work at the worst possible hours but if you can make it to manager, you can live a decent life. Now, are you going to be a millionaire? Oh hell no. And you won't make much being a stocker or cashier either but you can earn a decent living as long as you are a manager.

My brother left the retail industry but when he was there, his manager cleared $100K (salary and bonus). Just don't expect this kind of income when you first graduated from college or starting off in their management program. You would be looking at about mid $30K/yr with lots and lots of hours.

With all things equal, right out of college, other degrees will definately offer better pay than starting in retail industry, for example....engineering. Pick your degree carefully.

Many retail companies requires all management to have degree regardless what that degree is as long as it's a BA or BS. I know that retail stores love to recruit heavily on college campus near graduation.

Other companies don't care. I worked for two managers in two different company, both didn't have degree. One made about $55k/yr. The other made about A$65k/yr. Not bad for two guys with no college education. Nothing fancy but it's a livable salary.

Best company to work for in the retail industry is hands down COSTCO. Very hard to get in because they pay their workers better than most and they have a very low turn over rate.

If you think you can close a deal. Car sales is something that you can make a good living too but it's a dog eat dog world. My cousin and his friend went straight into car sales right after HS. They both did very well but eventually burned out.

Insurance industry don't require a college degree and you can get your license very easily as well. If you can market and sell, you can make a lot of money in this industry as well. Before my friend's untimely death, his agency was easily pulling in about $50K/month consistantly. He had roughly about 3-4 employees under is agency. His employees were paid roughly about $3K a month.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
^ Costco is even closed on some of the secondary holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment