Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM

156 posts, read 313,833 times

Advertisements

Perhaps you should get a social job to overcome your social anxiety.

Being Social is like any other skill: Repetition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM

25 posts, read 220,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
I need a first job I don't want to deal with people can you help me I am 18 years old. I did apply to ups for a package handling job interview and they were surprised I said I never worked lol? But they never called me back what are some suggestions maybe I can be inventory taker or stock shelves that sounds easy?
If you don't want to deal with people, avoid any retail or food service jobs. My first job when I was 18 was working at Macy's. I'm rather introverted and I had a rough time. It sounds like the UPS position you got could be good for you. You'll have no direct customer interaction but you'll still get experience dealing with coworkers, managers, and multitasking.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,672,740 times
we still need people to rake leaves in the south. May be shoveling walks if you are farther north. There are lots of perks to being self employed. You can continue to apply for jobs and you will have a work history and references.

Taking inventory and stocking shelves are not "easy". Develop a work ethic and approach any job , whatever the pay, as a chance to show it. Be on time and work while you're on the clock. It will be noticed.

Good luck. Both of my children worked while in high school and I think it helped to shape them as much as their education.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 PM

819 posts, read 3,213,210 times
I've been working since I was 14. Started out babysitting, did that until 17 then got a job delivering pizza. I can't imagine being 18 and never having a job.
Have you never babysitted, did odd jobs, raked leaves? Anything?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM

161 posts, read 635,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
I've been working since I was 14. Started out babysitting, did that until 17 then got a job delivering pizza. I can't imagine being 18 and never having a job.
Have you never babysitted, did odd jobs, raked leaves? Anything?
dude 18 is not that bad for not having a job. I would say 70% of 18 year olds had a job somewhere in there life thus far.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 PM

9,896 posts, read 14,191,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
dude 18 is not that bad for not having a job. I would say 70% of 18 year olds had a job somewhere in there life thus far.
Dude, I think your priorities are way out of order. Prior to posting this thread, you posted threads about buying a Mercedes' as your first car, and buying a house. Those things come well after you land a job and save a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment