Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,040,280 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a job in another state, My resume is really good because I am getting lots of phone calls back.

For some reason though...the interviewers seem to get turned off when I answer the typical question that all of them usually ask which is why do I want to move to their location.

My reply to that question is Connecticut has a high cost of living which I can't afford, no job opportunities (automotive technician)
and I have a general dislike of the area.

They ask if I have any family to where I'm moving too which I reply that I don't.

At this point they are turned off.

When they ask when do you plan on moving down here I said as ASAP. I would give my job a two weeks notice and leave.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. On my resume it says my address which is in CT and that I'm looking to relocate. It's not the fact that I'm far away thats turning them off or I would not be getting phone calls its the way I'm answering their questions.

I'm applying to C level automotive tech positions.

Advice please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,587,569 times
Tell them what they want to hear. Tell them you have some family in the area and always wanted to move there. If they ask more detail, make up a close cousin and their spouse or aunt/uncle. Or say you visited there many times and love the area and wanted to move there for quite some time.

I think some companies think you are more likely to stay in an area if you have family there. Which isn't true, but maybe they cannot picture themselves living away from family so cannot picture you doing it either.

Google for other good reasons for moving. Could be sports related activities or maybe that your spouse's family is in the area.

IMO, saying you don't like an area makes you sound negative. Saying the cost of living is high makes you sound like you are having money issues. Instead, focus on what you like about the new area, without putting the old area (CT) down.

weather, hiking trails because you like to hike on weekends, warmer winter . Proximity to family is one that works most times. Maybe moving from a rural area to the city because you love the city, etc.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,795,674 times
Lie, just tell them what they want to hear. Why are you moving? I have family in CT and desire to be closer to them.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:40 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,040,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Tell them what they want to hear. Tell them you have some family in the area and always wanted to move there. If they ask more detail, make up a close cousin and their spouse or aunt/uncle. Or say you visited there many times and love the area and wanted to move there for quite some time.

I think some companies think you are more likely to stay in an area if you have family there. Which isn't true, but maybe they cannot picture themselves living away from family so cannot picture you doing it either.

Google for other good reasons for moving. Could be sports related activities or maybe that your spouse's family is in the area.
Ohhh...that makes sense.

Thats a little strange that they think family will hold a person in an area. Actually its pretty stupid. Nevermind the climate, economy, nightlife, culture, job opportunities, industries and recreational activities.

It's family what dictates what area I move too... employers

Some interviewers I told them that I had no family.

Thanks for the feedback. I knew something was wrong.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,722,976 times
A lot of people think that if you don't like where you are now you won't like where you are going either. It makes you sound like an unhappy complainer. Nobody wants an unhappy complainer to deal with.

Before the call comes back to you look the city, town, area up on city-data and think of some reason you want to be there. You like mountains, you like the ocean, you like the city, etc.

The fact that you now have a job may be something they don't want to mess with. They probably have several applications of people who have no job at all.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,558,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Ohhh...that makes sense.

Thats a little strange that they think family will hold a person in an area. Actually its pretty stupid. Nevermind the climate, economy, nightlife, culture, job opportunities, industries and recreational activities.

It's family what dictates what area I move too... employers

Some interviewers I told them that I had no family.

Thanks for the feedback. I knew something was wrong.
LOL, so true! I've had similar experiences. But it's not just employers; whenever I've talked about moving somewhere, the first thing almost everyone asks is if I have family/friends there and then get really confused when I say no, I just like the area.

I agree with everyone's advice here. Focus on the positives of the new place rather than the negatives of the old one. And, if you can pull off a small fib (not everyone can) tell them you have cousins or something.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,179,154 times
FYI, asking about familial/marital status during the interview process is pretty illegal. It's really none of their business.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,227,727 times
Don't be a Negative Nellie.

For example, you want to relo not because where you are living now is crappy, but because the new place is better.
(More "opportunities", better "quality of life", more vibrant, closer top friends/family, air quality, make up something)

Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,742,041 times
just say that you live in the area already! if they ask you to come in just say you cannot come until x date because you are back home visiting with family

Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,227,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
just say that you live in the area already! if they ask you to come in just say you cannot come until x date because you are back home visiting with family

Nah, I wouldn't say that because then you'd have to pay your own way for the interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment