Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,195,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I'm looking for a job in another state, My resume is really good because I am getting lots of phone calls back.

For some reason though...the interviewers seem to get turned off when I answer the typical question that all of them usually ask which is why do I want to move to their location.

My reply to that question is Connecticut has a high cost of living which I can't afford, no job opportunities (automotive technician)
and I have a general dislike of the area.

They ask if I have any family to where I'm moving too which I reply that I don't.

At this point they are turned off.

When they ask when do you plan on moving down here I said as ASAP. I would give my job a two weeks notice and leave.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. On my resume it says my address which is in CT and that I'm looking to relocate. It's not the fact that I'm far away thats turning them off or I would not be getting phone calls its the way I'm answering their questions.

I'm applying to C level automotive tech positions.

Advice please.
Your answer is nothing but negative. If I were an interviewer and you answered a question like that, I would be turned off too.

Instead of being so negative say something like. "I have researched the area and I am very excited about the many wonderful opportunities (like your company) that exist there". and "The economic atmosphere of the area fits in perfectly with my five-year plan. I can see myself growing and prospering and contributing to the success of your company".

When the guy asks if you have any relatives say something like. "Not yet, but I am hoping to start a family of my own while I am there and am looking forward to a long-term relationship with my employer".

Positive, positive, positive. You are a hard worker, you have a lot to offer their company, you have a solid five-year plan, you are sensible, level-headed, ambitious and looking forward to establishing a long-term, mutually beneficial relationship with your employer.

Get it?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 PM

158 posts, read 228,160 times
Some really good points here from others so I wont rehash.

Avoid slagging anything to do with your current situation. Not the economy, the smell, the weather, nothing. Your interviewers grandma might live there or something.

Bottom line is be a positive guy with a positive reason for wanting a new position and you will land it sooner than later for sure.

good luck!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,700,283 times
just lie.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,560,843 times
Isn't that what we all do lol "lie"

Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,030,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
A lot of people think that if you don't like where you are now you won't like where you are going either. It makes you sound like an unhappy complainer. Nobody wants an unhappy complainer to deal with.

Before the call comes back to you look the city, town, area up on city-data and think of some reason you want to be there. You like mountains, you like the ocean, you like the city, etc.

The fact that you now have a job may be something they don't want to mess with. They probably have several applications of people who have no job at all.
I kind of understand that perspective but if I were an an employer if someone where to risk their current job, and move to an area with no family just to work for me I would value them.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
FYI, asking about familial/marital status during the interview process is pretty illegal. It's really none of their business.
Why do they even care if I'm single or married?

why should they even care?

Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Your answer is nothing but negative. If I were an interviewer and you answered a question like that, I would be turned off too.

Instead of being so negative say something like. "I have researched the area and I am very excited about the many wonderful opportunities (like your company) that exist there". and "The economic atmosphere of the area fits in perfectly with my five-year plan. I can see myself growing and prospering and contributing to the success of your company".

When the guy asks if you have any relatives say something like. "Not yet, but I am hoping to start a family of my own while I am there and am looking forward to a long-term relationship with my employer".

Positive, positive, positive. You are a hard worker, you have a lot to offer their company, you have a solid five-year plan, you are sensible, level-headed, ambitious and looking forward to establishing a long-term, mutually beneficial relationship with your employer.

Get it?

20yrsinBranson

Got it. Excellent advice.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,173,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Why do they even care if I'm single or married?

why should they even care?

Exactly. Which is why it's illegal. It's a form of discrimination.

All the company should do is ask "Are you willing to relocate?". Anything beyond that is usually stupid on their part. If they ask why, just state more opportunity, you're a fan of the location, etc. There's no reason to ask about your family life. If a company is asking me that, I'd actually be hesitant to work for them. It's pretty common sense.

I wouldn't recommend anyone ever really lie about their location. It's unnecessary. They can easily find out where you live and it's not worth lying.

If you're lower grade, they won't relocate you. If you're higher grade, or in high demand, they usually will pay to interview and relo you. It's just how it is.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,545,370 times
Moving due to family issues is often brought up by applicants.

I am located in an area where lots of folks want to move. Many of the job applicants are from other areas. The hiring manager tries to pick someone that is likely to stay on that job awhile. Often these out of staters pack up and move within a year or so. Local candidates are usually preferred due to this.

One new hire came from out of state. This new candidate said the in-laws live in the area, thus the reason for relocation. A year later the candidate resigns because the in-laws moved to a different state.

A position that I was interviewing for...The prior person in the job had been there X months. Moved from another state with family. After a number of months, his spouse wanted to move back home because she missed her family.

There was another employee that moved from a far away state. This employee lasted 1.5 years, then resigned and moved to a new state to be near a sibling had just moved to that new state.

There are a few other employees that moved from other states and none of them had family in the new location. All of them stayed on the new job and loved the new location.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,734,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Nah, I wouldn't say that because then you'd have to pay your own way for the interviews.
for an auto tech i'm doubtful the employer would be paying for the travel costs in the first place.

Also, this would at least allow to have a gainful phone interview before wasting the time and money going out there for an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment