Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM

845 posts, read 1,352,418 times

Advertisements

I've been on the job "roller coaster" sense I was hired in. Meaning, there will be work one to two weeks, and then no work. I don't want to sound selfish plus I don't mind sitting there waiting for a new project; however, sitting there for eight hours in the day doing nothing is terribly boring.

I do create work for myself as much as I can. I know CATIA V5 pretty extensively and one of the software this company created is integrated into CATIA. The work I create is pretty much internal; tips and soon a manual for using basic tools in CATIA. However, I feel that is largely unnecessary or people won't need it.

I just don't feel like this job will go anywhere. No advancement at least, unless I suggest a transfer or a contract to another company.

The pay is good, benefits are OK (health tri-fecta). No bonuses nor pay increase as of yet. I've only been there a year, so I wouldn't expect any. As far as advancement or moving up it's questionable. Also, it seems like everyone is on the same plane, unless your name has the Management title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 PM

306 posts, read 759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I've been on the job "roller coaster" sense I was hired in. Meaning, there will be work one to two weeks, and then no work. I don't want to sound selfish plus I don't mind sitting there waiting for a new project; however, sitting there for eight hours in the day doing nothing is terribly boring.

I do create work for myself as much as I can. I know CATIA V5 pretty extensively and one of the software this company created is integrated into CATIA. The work I create is pretty much internal; tips and soon a manual for using basic tools in CATIA. However, I feel that is largely unnecessary or people won't need it.

I just don't feel like this job will go anywhere. No advancement at least, unless I suggest a transfer or a contract to another company.

The pay is good, benefits are OK (health tri-fecta). No bonuses nor pay increase as of yet. I've only been there a year, so I wouldn't expect any. As far as advancement or moving up it's questionable. Also, it seems like everyone is on the same plane, unless your name has the Management title.
In this economy, keep it! Keep your feelers out for something else; alot of us these days just have to settle for what we have. Times have changed.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 AM

126 posts, read 430,721 times
Start looking elsewhere. You only live once. Why spend it doing something you don't enjoy? I'm in the same situation. I spend 8 hours a day doing nothing most days, although I was hired under the assumption my department was swamped with work and needed new blood. Good pay, benefits, and all that jazz, but I hate going there everyday and because my department is so specific there's not much I can do on my own to make work for myself. So I've decided to move on. I don't let the fears about the economy slow me down. I was able to find work when it was at its worst, and this was before I even had my college degree. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,733,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post

I'm the same position as you. except I'm in IT. I have to create knowledge base articles for people to read so they can be shown how to do something without having to call me. I also have no room for advancement, as in this department it is me, and my manager.
I don't really know how to do any of the major system stuff because I haven't been shown how. So When no one is asking me to fix something or there aren't any articles to be created, i'm kind of sitting around not doing anything.

I am constantly looking for a job though. I have a recruiter that is also trying to find me a job. In this day and age, staying loyal to a company isn't going to get you anywhere except tossed out on the street when they need to cut costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment