Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,483,725 times

Advertisements

First a little background:

I am 37 years old and have been a stay at home mom for the last 13 years. I am looking for a new career now that my kids are older. I have not worked since I was 24.

I had not intended to go back to college (I started when I was 19 but dropped out) but after trying several different avenues thinking I would start at entry level and work my way up, I am now reconsidering the college route.

My concern about college is the number of new grads who are unable to find jobs. I don't want to waste my time.

So, what are the best careers considering future growth of the industry? I am an ENTJ and so I would like to gear my career toward one that fits my personality type. ENTJ Careers I also don't want a career that will require an advanced degree. The thing I value most in a career is a varied work environment (I need to be doing lots of things so I don't get bored) and lots of problems to solve. I love creative new ways of doing things.

I am considering majoring in marketing with a minor in business administration. Any reason why this would not be a good decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 05:21 PM

88 posts, read 205,782 times
Read Pathfinder, by Nick Lore. It's less than $20 on amazon and can be a life changing career guide if you take the time to read it and complete with the exercises (which can be a long process - I'm talking months long). But might be worth it.

Good luck, I'm in the process of reading this book and its been a huge help!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM

26,012 posts, read 22,203,791 times
I'm guessing that you would end up as a real estate agent or insurance salesman with that sort of education. At your age, without any experience and with so many graduates in the business fields..................... How about something more technical related to science, math or maybe in the medical field? Sadly by 40 years of age, it is very difficult to change careers.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebePaddy View Post
Read Pathfinder, by Nick Lore. It's less than $20 on amazon and can be a life changing career guide if you take the time to read it and complete with the exercises (which can be a long process - I'm talking months long). But might be worth it.

Good luck, I'm in the process of reading this book and its been a huge help!
Thanks. I ordered it.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM

73 posts, read 126,154 times
Ya I would say real estate might be good for you. Its fun and challenging and would definitely keep you busy. If you are dedicated then you will be rewarded. It is also relatively easy and inexpensive to get into the classes you need. The test is difficult but like I said, if you are dedicated then you will do just fine.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:49 PM

Maybe some are misreading my post. I said I had decided NOT to go to college, but I am now reconsidering it after looking at all the possibilities without a degree. I don't want to go into real estate. Definitely not for me for a variety of reasons, especially the lack of closure on so many things. I have a very strong Judging preference and can't stand not completing things.

I am looking for a good major for my personality type that will be more likely to be employed after graduation.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,423,447 times
According to the personality type you've suggested about yourself you should consider becoming a lawyer, manager of some sort, CEO, entrepreneur, professor, judge etc. Unless someone hires you based just on what you want to do (which they won't), you will have to go to college and most of those careers for ENTJ personalities require an advanced degree.
I think this is why some suggested that you look into becoming real estate agent. You can be your own little CEO but don't need much formal education aside from real estate school and continuing education. You certainly can become whatever you'd like at your age - your not old. What about a hairdresser? Learn Sharepoint?
Marketing with a business administration degree isn't going to set the world on fire. I think people need advanced degrees, or very technical degrees to make much money...anything else may get you in the door but the salary is almost as low as having no degree. This is my opinion. See what others advise you...

Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
According to the personality type you've suggested about yourself you should consider becoming a lawyer, manager of some sort, CEO, entrepreneur, professor, judge etc. Unless someone hires you based just on what you want to do (which they won't), you will have to go to college and most of those careers for ENTJ personalities require an advanced degree.
I think this is why some suggested that you look into becoming real estate agent. You can be your own little CEO but don't need much formal education aside from real estate school and continuing education. You certainly can become whatever you'd like at your age - your not old. What about a hairdresser? Learn Sharepoint?
Marketing with a business administration degree isn't going to set the world on fire. I think people need advanced degrees, or very technical degrees to make much money...anything else may get you in the door but the salary is almost as low as having no degree. This is my opinion. See what others advise you...
Thank you. Yes, I am aware of the need for an advanced degree for most jobs that would be appealing to me. I really like to create organizational systems, I love theory and have an intense need to solve problems. I'm probably driving my kid's school and my husband nuts with all my ideas on how to fix their problems...although they are good ideas. I just really don't like the idea of being a real estate agent. We recently bought a house and it took us nine months to find something and several things fell through for various reasons. All the lack of closure would drive me bananas. I like to be able to control things.

Another post on this forum suggested two degrees in the top ten most desirable degrees that looked appealing to me. One was a B.A in Healthcare Administration. The other was Communications. I can see both of those fields being very enjoyable to me. I particularly like the idea of Communications because there is a wide range of applications for that degree.

One thing I believe am very good at is consulting. Even though I never went to college, I am a voracious reader and learner. I often have great ideas for how people can do things differently and better and friends often ask my opinion because of that. Most people who meet me are shocked if they learn that I never went to college. My husband also has a PhD and works in a very educated field so many of our friends have advanced degrees. Actually one of my good friends is a litigator and thinks I should get my law degree. I am a very good speaker and debater. But I don't have the time or the money for that.

At any rate, I realize that the communications degree is much more common and wouldn't be as good as the healthcare admin but I lean toward it because I have a very entrepreneurial spirit. I can see moving into a consulting type of field once I have a degree and some experience. I want the business and marketing experience for my personal use because I probably will start a business at some point. But I want to work for a corporation first to learn from them.

Hairdresser? Mind-numbing, but thanks for the laugh. My daughter can't even get me to do her hair, never mind a day's worth of ladies waiting to be primped.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,663,665 times
Healthcare Admin would be the area with the greatest upcoming demand. Perhaps, you could work a part-time job in a hospital or care facility, while pursuing an evening or part-time degree program. There might be an online program. You might be able to find an employer who would pay for classes in a field related to their line of work.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,225,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
First a little background:

I am 37 years old and have been a stay at home mom for the last 13 years. I am looking for a new career now that my kids are older. I have not worked since I was 24.

I had not intended to go back to college (I started when I was 19 but dropped out) but after trying several different avenues thinking I would start at entry level and work my way up, I am now reconsidering the college route.

My concern about college is the number of new grads who are unable to find jobs. I don't want to waste my time.

So, what are the best careers considering future growth of the industry? I am an ENTJ and so I would like to gear my career toward one that fits my personality type. ENTJ Careers I also don't want a career that will require an advanced degree. The thing I value most in a career is a varied work environment (I need to be doing lots of things so I don't get bored) and lots of problems to solve. I love creative new ways of doing things.

I am considering majoring in marketing with a minor in business administration. Any reason why this would not be a good decision?
LOL @ being an ENTJ. Don't you know that those personality tests are basically just glorified cold reads? You might as well search for a job based on your astrological sign.

You're 37 years old. I'm sure you have some idea as to what kind of things you like and are good at. No career is perfect. You'll have your ups and downs regardless, but you also don't want to go to school and get into a field that has no jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment