Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 PM

22,365 posts, read 29,487,050 times

Advertisements

Well here's how "lovely" my life goes..I accept the job at #2 only to be contacted by #1 to let me know his wife's father died and therefore that's why no contact as he was out of town for funeral. (He's the owners son who is the Sales Mgr) So I told him about #2 as I wanted to be honest and he said he understood. I told him the restaurant doesn't open till 3/1 with training starting 2/18 so I have the opportunity to back out if I needed to. So we discuss the job and he answers all my questions which I had written down, lol. He said they have interviewed with another guy who does have more experience but he really liked the way I followed up with him and was on top of my game that way as it showed a lot about my work ethic. Plus they believe I have what it takes to be successful. So basically he told me to think about it overnight and to call him tomorrow. He said he wouldn't speak to the other candidate until I give him my decision as I had interviewed first and I expressed my concers over telling restaurant "bye" and then they hire other guy.

Now here's the main issue of why I am holding back: Some of you know my mother is very ill with lung cancer. I am the baby of the family and we are super tight. Obviously the restaurant job in Miami would be key for that situation.

The car job is in Tampa which I have lived before so no problem there. Obviously it's just a 4 hour car ride if shyt really hit the fan which I expressed to car guy this evening and he understood and said it wouldn't be a problem that if I needed to head down for a few days, etc.

Now I have honestly kinda based my life decisions around my mom. I don't know how to say this without coming across bad but I feel like my parents are holding me back as my father gives me a guilt trip over Tampa and this possible car job. However, I feel like I cannot continue to base my life around my mom because I'll never get to where I really want to be. My mother and I have spoken and she completely understands and says she doesn't want to hold me back. Obviously she would like to see me settled and in a job where I have a future. Basically all she wants is for me to be happy I can speak to her everyday via phone and obviously it is a short car ride away.

I'm just so completely torn on what to do and I've got to give my decision to car guy tomorrow..I seriously think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 05:46 PM

31 posts, read 68,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Well here's how "lovely" my life goes..I accept the job at #2 only to be contacted by #1 to let me know his wife's father died and therefore that's why no contact as he was out of town for funeral. (He's the owners son who is the Sales Mgr) So I told him about #2 as I wanted to be honest and he said he understood. I told him the restaurant doesn't open till 3/1 with training starting 2/18 so I have the opportunity to back out if I needed to. So we discuss the job and he answers all my questions which I had written down, lol. He said they have interviewed with another guy who does have more experience but he really liked the way I followed up with him and was on top of my game that way as it showed a lot about my work ethic. Plus they believe I have what it takes to be successful. So basically he told me to think about it overnight and to call him tomorrow. He said he wouldn't speak to the other candidate until I give him my decision as I had interviewed first and I expressed my concers over telling restaurant "bye" and then they hire other guy.

Now here's the main issue of why I am holding back: Some of you know my mother is very ill with lung cancer. I am the baby of the family and we are super tight. Obviously the restaurant job in Miami would be key for that situation.

The car job is in Tampa which I have lived before so no problem there. Obviously it's just a 4 hour car ride if shyt really hit the fan which I expressed to car guy this evening and he understood and said it wouldn't be a problem that if I needed to head down for a few days, etc.

Now I have honestly kinda based my life decisions around my mom. I don't know how to say this without coming across bad but I feel like my parents are holding me back as my father gives me a guilt trip over Tampa and this possible car job. However, I feel like I cannot continue to base my life around my mom because I'll never get to where I really want to be. My mother and I have spoken and she completely understands and says she doesn't want to hold me back. Obviously she would like to see me settled and in a job where I have a future. Basically all she wants is for me to be happy I can speak to her everyday via phone and obviously it is a short car ride away.

I'm just so completely torn on what to do and I've got to give my decision to car guy tomorrow..I seriously think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown..
I say go with the car dealership. I know, as a fellow young person, that parents can sometimes guilt you into staying in one place instead of branching out and starting a life of your own. Your mom wants you to go to Tampa, and like you said, it's a short drive away. I think you just needed someone to tell you that it was okay, and not selfish, to take #1.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,115,057 times
I think good looks will help you WAY more as a waitress. I actually had a really attractive young floorsalesperson try and pitch me a Honda Accord. She was so cute I googled her afterwards. But never did it cross my mind to buy from her because she was attractive. Maybe a few young guys will fork over an extra $500 to buy from a pretty woman, but not me. I might easily tip a cute waitress a few more bucks subconsciously if she was friendly.

Neither job strikes me as being particularly stable or career oriented. So I would pick the one that allows you to work on what you really would like to do easiest. The waitress job actually seems a bit more stable, so I'd actually go with that.

Last edited by jobaba; 01-24-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM

The whole goal here is to make enough money to purchase a house and a car. My longterm goal is to end back up at MB. I've got to get my foot in the door somewhere which is what I did with serving. I worked my way up to higher end dining. I am willing to do with again with the car business. The car job allows me to have a life as its not late hours, closed Sundays and after speaking with car guy I would also have one Sat off a month which is only 9-6 anyways.

I'm not implying that because I'm attractive it would be my main point in selling a vehicle. I've been around cars my whole life and have even taken auto mechanics along with dating numerous racers who worked on their own cars. So I would definately know my product. And it's not about forking $500 extra to buy from me over Joe Schmoe. Call me crazy but most men (young and old) would like to do business with an attractive female than some balding old guy...Plus females will automatically be put at ease dealing with another woman.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,115,057 times
Quote:
The whole goal here is to make enough money to purchase a house and a car. My longterm goal is to end back up at MB. I've got to get my foot in the door somewhere which is what I did with serving. I worked my way up to higher end dining. I am willing to do with again with the car business. The car job allows me to have a life as its not late hours, closed Sundays and after speaking with car guy I would also have one Sat off a month which is only 9-6 anyways.

I'm not implying that because I'm attractive it would be my main point in selling a vehicle. I've been around cars my whole life and have even taken auto mechanics along with dating numerous racers who worked on their own cars. So I would definately know my product. And it's not about forking $500 extra to buy from me over Joe Schmoe. Call me crazy but most men (young and old) would like to do business with an attractive female than some balding old guy...Plus females will automatically be put at ease dealing with another woman.
With the way car sales is today, everybody has the invoice price so people will just go door to door and try and get the lowest price. Seemed to me the managers have all the power in setting prices.

So, your job is to get them to buy from you even though they probably know they can get a lower price elsewhere. That's a tough job.

A few salesmen pitched me like crazy and kept me in the store for hours practically begging me not to leave and buy from them. In the end, I walked into the last dealership, said can you beat this price, his manager said yes, and that guy got the sale. Took him all of 5 min to make a sale. And the guy I was going to buy from before him was the worst salesman I've ever met. Horrible. But his manager gave a low price. Being a car salesman isn't what it used to be. Something to consider.

Things might work differently at higher end places though.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,575,448 times
It is pretty obvious that you really want the car job.

Your folks will adjust.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 AM

Well, I just got the rug pulled right out from under me. I have to relocate from Miami. The guy is aware of this. This cannot be done in two days. We discussed everything in complete detail Wed pertaining to job, etc and he told me to contact him yesterday. I did. He didn't respond. I called him today to follow up as I have to go up tomorrow to find a place to live and wanted to verify if I would start 2/4 so I could sign lease tomorrow if I like it.

He just informed me they gave the job to someone else!!! I was like WTF???? Now obviously I didn't quit the restaurant job as I'm smarter than that but I'm just completely blown away. Are you f-ing kidding me??

Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,403,493 times
Total garbage. At least you found out now what kind of employer he'd be.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,154,772 times
Quote:
Well, I just got the rug pulled right out from under me. I have to relocate from Miami. The guy is aware of this. This cannot be done in two days. We discussed everything in complete detail Wed pertaining to job, etc and he told me to contact him yesterday. I did. He didn't respond. I called him today to follow up as I have to go up tomorrow to find a place to live and wanted to verify if I would start 2/4 so I could sign lease tomorrow if I like it.

He just informed me they gave the job to someone else!!! I was like WTF???? Now obviously I didn't quit the restaurant job as I'm smarter than that but I'm just completely blown away. Are you f-ing kidding me??

The old "You're our top candidate" trick.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Total garbage. At least you found out now what kind of employer he'd be.

I agree. I mean you don't keep in contact with someone for two weeks and then have a 45 minute conversation Wed night to go over payplan, benefits, schedule, etc. I told him Wed I would need to find a place to live and he said "sleep on it and get ahold of me tomorrow". I emailed him (it was after hours) telling him I wanted the job and would be coming back up to search for a place to live. He didn't call me in the morning today so I called him and left a VM. He called me back and just said "We decided to give the job to someone else" I was like "Ummm ok??" He then was like "Check back with me in a few months to see about another job". I was like "Ok". However, I would NEVER work for them as how could I trust them not to do the same thing again?? I just don't get it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment