Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,676,800 times

Advertisements

It's taken me years to figure out what I'd like to do...but, perhaps, I've finally settled on something. The indecision was killing me, so I figured anything was better than what I was doing (or not doing)...
It didn't help that my degree doesn't lead to any direct career path...(phil)

Anyway, now I have maybe a couple things that I'm pursuing. So, my focus has switched from "what should I do?" to "what if I can't do it?".

What happens if I can't do what I want to? Like, if I'm not cut out to do it?

(Something tangentially related...one of the options I've decided to pursue, I've had things in my past that would make it hard for me...the main thing would be skipping out on a job I thought was doing me a disservice..without telling them, and also, skipping out on depression meds because I didn't think it was appropriate...(just deal with it)...without notifying the prescribing doctors...(Just because I'm going through something, I don't need to be drugged...and the drugs were turning me into something different, and I didn't like it...so I stopped taking them and never talked to the guy again...)

Anyway, my potential employers might look at that and disqualify me...but, I think I can explain why I did stuff like that...and I have some time to make amends in those areas of my life before d day comes...

My main question, though, is "what if I can't do it?"...due to not being able to due to a non perfect past, or because I get out there and I just find it too much to handle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 PM

126 posts, read 430,123 times
I worry about this, too. But for me there are only two options that would stop me from doing what I want: giving up and death. And I don't intend to give up, so death will have to take me first. Don't worry about whether you're cut out for the job or not. Just keep trying to get there. You'll find out soon enough whether you can take on the responsibilities of your chosen profession. And more than likely you'll be learning a great deal along the way, which will probably increase your chances of performing well in your profession. At least, that's what I believe.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,426,056 times
IMHO, ninety per cent of any job is showing up and following through. Ten per cent is technical knowledge. Technical knowledge can be developed. Character, reliability and diligence you have to walk in with. (Not saying they can't be learned: the Marines have been instilling those traits into raw recruits for the past two hundred years. BUT - they do have four years to do it in), It's just that with character, reliability and diligence, everything else becomes possible.

Biz is premised on predictability. You will always have management.

So, show up. Show diligence. Be easy to manage. Don't worry about whether you "like" something. You will find everything a chore while you are learning to do it well. Also, not having been in the work world, you have no basis to judge the relative merits of any job. Best to treat anything from the standpoint that "this is the best it's going to get" and work it from there. You are paid for your behavior, not for how well you like doing "it", whatever "it" is.

When you get good at something, it becomes its own reward. Seriously. It's the learning curve that's a b*tch. Once you start feeling competent, work really does become its own reward (within limits - not rootin' for an 18 hour day, here!).

I think you're overthinking things a tad. Concentrate on the goal, and grit your teeth. Give it a year of utmost concentration while you are learning to do it well before getting all emotional and quitting.

Best wishes to you.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 AM

85 posts, read 206,301 times
Number one piece of advice:

Get back on the meds and stay on them. You have to develop a relationship with the prescribing doctor, and keep going back to report how the medications are making you feel. Depression meds are a tricky thing, and it almost always takes some tweaking and trial and error with different dosages and prescriptions to get something to work.

Commit to getting better mentally like you would commit to a job. That's your first priority. Once your mood is stabilized, you'll lose a lot of the doubt & confusion that you're dealing with now, and be better suited for achieving and sticking to your career goals.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,314,637 times
I have one question: are you actually QUALIFIED for what you would like to do?

If so, (and you can't find an employer who hires based on qualifications, but on social media and other unrelated crap), then do it on your own. Can it be done on your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
It's taken me years to figure out what I'd like to do...but, perhaps, I've finally settled on something. The indecision was killing me, so I figured anything was better than what I was doing (or not doing)...
It didn't help that my degree doesn't lead to any direct career path...(phil)

Anyway, now I have maybe a couple things that I'm pursuing. So, my focus has switched from "what should I do?" to "what if I can't do it?".

What happens if I can't do what I want to? Like, if I'm not cut out to do it?

(Something tangentially related...one of the options I've decided to pursue, I've had things in my past that would make it hard for me...the main thing would be skipping out on a job I thought was doing me a disservice..without telling them, and also, skipping out on depression meds because I didn't think it was appropriate...(just deal with it)...without notifying the prescribing doctors...(Just because I'm going through something, I don't need to be drugged...and the drugs were turning me into something different, and I didn't like it...so I stopped taking them and never talked to the guy again...)

Anyway, my potential employers might look at that and disqualify me...but, I think I can explain why I did stuff like that...and I have some time to make amends in those areas of my life before d day comes...

My main question, though, is "what if I can't do it?"...due to not being able to due to a non perfect past, or because I get out there and I just find it too much to handle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment