Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM

141 posts, read 235,632 times

Advertisements

I do a lot of networking. I like to keep opportunities flowing my way. Either for jobs or business ventures. I noticed a BIG difference between the "grey hair" crowd and those that are under 40y/o.

It seems the grey hair corwd is more mellow and interensted in developing REAL relationships for the long haul. I've talked with many in the "grey hair" corwd and we can talk about everything else first than business second. They take it slow and let things take a natural course. They're the true pro-sales people. They're smooth.

The under 40 crowd......one big pissing match. Let's see who can pizz the furthest and tell the most impressive story. Oh and the "one uping"......"You have a Bach. degree, well I have a MBA." Those environments are aggressive. They talk VERY FAST, as if it's a sales pitch. Energy levels are EXTREMELY HIGH and people are goiong 100 MPH. Those crowds seem to be the most judgemental and "clickish". It's all about BUSINESS, BUSINESS, BUSINESS.

I've found the grey hair crowd to be the folks I like to network with. Even though I am 38y/o. Not to mention once a guy/gal get's over 50, they're pretty much established in their careers and their track record speaks for itself. Therefore they don't have to put on a show for you. If this crowd likes you, than they like you and then the true benefits of knowing those people will be gained by being in their rolodex.

Just my observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,589,313 times
We old folks possess social skills and an attention span beyond that of a tweet or FB post! LOL

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 01-24-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 PM

141 posts, read 235,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
We old folks possess social skills and an attention span beyond that of a tweet or FB post! LOL

Good point.

A little humility is what the young folks are missing.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,075,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
I do a lot of networking. I like to keep opportunities flowing my way. Either for jobs or business ventures. I noticed a BIG difference between the "grey hair" crowd and those that are under 40y/o.

It seems the grey hair corwd is more mellow and interensted in developing REAL relationships for the long haul. I've talked with many in the "grey hair" corwd and we can talk about everything else first than business second. They take it slow and let things take a natural course. They're the true pro-sales people. They're smooth.

The under 40 crowd......one big pissing match. Let's see who can pizz the furthest and tell the most impressive story. Oh and the "one uping"......"You have a Bach. degree, well I have a MBA." Those environments are aggressive. They talk VERY FAST, as if it's a sales pitch. Energy levels are EXTREMELY HIGH and people are goiong 100 MPH. Those crowds seem to be the most judgemental and "clickish". It's all about BUSINESS, BUSINESS, BUSINESS.

I've found the grey hair crowd to be the folks I like to network with. Even though I am 38y/o. Not to mention once a guy/gal get's over 50, they're pretty much established in their careers and their track record speaks for itself. Therefore they don't have to put on a show for you. If this crowd likes you, than they like you and then the true benefits of knowing those people will be gained by being in their rolodex.

Just my observations.
Those people annoy the shhh1t out of me. I don't get along with them, but not everyone under 40, such as myself, are like that. It must be your field, as I am not with the 'business' crowd.

Funny thing: Someone in their early 20s had no idea what a rolodex is, or had even heard the word. So sad

Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,589,313 times
What I find annoying in the "younger crowd" is their assumption that we old fogies don't know how to use a cell phone, tablet, laptop, pc, software of any kind, texting, social media, and on and on.

Like, duh...we watched it emerge and were the first to have to learn how to use it.

My question: can any of THEM tell time with a clock that has "hands"? Doubt it!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,915,647 times
^^^ or make change in the supermarket when the register fails.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,323,916 times
Everyone knows your environment is the main contributing factor. The under 40 crowd knows the second you slow down and the second you take your eye of the prize, in this economy, the second your out of touch and replaceable.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM

123 posts, read 193,254 times
Nice topic. I agree that the under 40 crowd can be a little over the top when it comes to things and not just in networking. I'm under 30, however 40 is is just beyond the horizon for me. Maturity is a huge factor. To take it a step further the early 20's to 30 crowd seems to exude the aforementioned behavior the most (ultra cliquish, trying to one up the next guy and general obnoxious behavior). Once they reach there 30's a certain level maturity starts to kick in and things become a little more civil. You still see some of the same behavior with the over 40 crowd, just a little more subdued however it is usually no where near the immature antics you may see with the under 40 (or should I say 20-30) crowd.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,863,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
First let me say that this stereotype is true but far LESS common than your typical "men are shallow" type of stereotype.

That being said, the old fogies are exactly the reason that so many in my age group are like this. The business world has accelerated beyond control. More profit more productivity more energy more initiative more more more more. It has bled through the entire education system and our very culture. This is what has been ingrained in our heads as what a successful business person is like. All those job postings that we are so desperate to be considered for require "high energy" and "entrepreneurial spirit". In order to even get the "old grey crowd" to glance at our resumes we have to have an inside connection to the company. Inside connections are all about playing the game, which is being taught in school.

I'm under 30 and I'm an engineer. I'm very much repulsed by the type of people you talk about in your post. However, it's rather myopic that the old grey crowd wouldn't be able to see how they have created the exact thing they are now complaining about. This is what you wanted: the so-called "high-powered young go getters that can run your business without so much as an introductory training period." The result? A bunch of loud mouthed kids that are inclined to sell you on the fact that they are that exact thing you've been looking for all along. They're playing the game that you created the rules for. Everyone was expected to have that relentless drive to succeed in a business environment. Now that all of them are trying to show it, you complain about it?

And don't get me started on social media. It's terrible.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,178,115 times
It's nice to see an older businessman's perspective. I'll be turning 30 in a couple months and I'm in my first year of networking efforts. I look back and I probably would've been one of those fast talking aggressive types early on if it weren't for my boss teaching me what networking REALLY is about: Helping others and connecting them first and hoping through your efforts that you made an impression enough to where they are looking for ways to help you in return, as well as trust you as a valued contact.

I've learned a lot about networking and I do all I can to avoid coming across that way. I just try to meet people, see if we can connect in someway, and try to learn about them so I can help them. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You have to develop a network of contacts before you can start expecting anything from them...this can take a year or two.

I also think to be fair you have to consider the era we live in now. Us younger guys were brought into competitive work environments and taught to "grind it out" and the pure lack of sales training being provided has caused young sales professionals to just take the aggressive route. I know I did, I was encouraged and praised for it. I was successful with it too....to a point. I'm realizing there's so much more potential in developing long term relationships and partnerships with people based on trust and friendship than just hounding people to do something for you.

I can agree with the OP, but maybe some of the older guys should start to think about how different the world is today than it was when they were at that age. There's a lot of pressure, it's tough to get a job for the younger guys, education quality has declined greatly, everyone is hurting to make ends meet financially, the economy has NEVER been in good standing since I entered the workforce 7 years ago....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment